The Student Room Group

Would you stand up to this violent attacker on a bus?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I abhor violence, but I would have intervened. I've intervened in such things before, for example when a bloke was being started on by three others at a club a few weeks back, I floored two of them (I was sober due to painkillers and having a **** night)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jacktri
So because i'm black i must African? racist mother****er

mm so clearly racist... :s-smilie:
Reply 42
Original post by Jacktri
So because i'm black i must African? racist mother****er

Well you're either from Africa or the Caribbean or some small indigenous tribe but I'm gonna go ahead and presume one of the two former.
And I'm black myself. Asking a person if they're from a country doesn't make you rascist, dumb sh*t.
I was merely commenting as what you wrote sounded like a plot from a really bad nigerian movie.
Original post by Einheri
I can see why you wouldn't. If you injured the guy you'd probably get sued by him. If you accidentally killed him you'd go to prison for manslaughter. If you seriously hurt him then it's up to a judge whether you used excessive force or not. Oh, yeah, and he's black so you were also committing a hate crime!!!!1 If the justice system wasn't so ****ed in this country and the populace wasn't disarmed then I bet there'd be a number of people helping.

You're evidently not a lawyer.

"Self-defence in English law is a complete defence to all levels of assault and can be used to mitigate liability from manslaughter to murder... A defendant is entitled to use reasonable force to protect himself, others for whom he is responsible and his property... A person may use such force as is [objectively] reasonable in the circumstances as he [subjectively] believes them to be... A man about to be attacked does not have to wait for his assailant to strike the first blow or fire the first shot; circumstances may justify a pre-emptive strike... A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large."

See also the Human Rights Act 1998 (Article 2, originally from the European Convention on Human Rights):

"1. Everyone's right to life shall be protected by law. No one shall be deprived of his life intentionally save in the execution of a sentence of a court following his conviction of a crime for which this penalty is provided by law.
2. Deprivation of life shall not be regarded as inflicted in contravention of this Article when it results from the use of force which is no more than absolutely necessary:
(a) in defense of any person from unlawful violence;

(b) in order to effect a lawful arrest or to prevent the escape of a person lawfully detained;

(c) in action lawfully taken for the purpose of quelling a riot or insurrection."

[Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-defence_in_English_law]
(edited 13 years ago)
Probably not. :o: I don't understand what her husband was doing at the time though. :holmes: Nasty piece of work, hope he gets caught. Strange the driver didn't stop the bus and lock him in either. :curious:
Original post by Crazy Paving
Probably not. :o: I don't understand what her husband was doing at the time though. :holmes: Nasty piece of work, hope he gets caught. Strange the driver didn't stop the bus and lock him in either. :curious:
To be fair, if the drive had locked him in, he'd probably just have got more aggressive and attacked more people. It's a lesser evil that he gets away (at least for the short term) than that someone else gets seriously injured or killed too. That said, the driver probably wouldn't have had time to lock up without the guy pushing his way out anyway -- and all buses have an emergency door at the back which can be opened at all times.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Wilzyy
Well you're either from Africa or the Caribbean or some small indigenous tribe but I'm gonna go ahead and presume one of the two former.
And I'm black myself. Asking a person if they're from a country doesn't make you rascist, dumb sh*t.
I was merely commenting as what you wrote sounded like a plot from a really bad nigerian movie.

I just won't even bother with this trolling anymore i'm just too good at it
I've stopped a fight before and i'd do it again. Eespecially in this situation.
This strongly reminds me of something I watched recently:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/would-you-save-a-stranger/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1

I think it's absolutely abhorrent that nobody did anything, but I also think it's hard to really know how you'd react when placed in that situation. The psychology of it is really interesting.
Did anyone ever hear about that experiment where they put one person, the test subject, in a waiting room, with lots of actors around them? Then they set off a fire alarm and wafted smoke from under the door, and had the actors completely ignore it to see how the other guy would react? They found that in a larger percentage of cases than expected, the subject also ignored the alarms and other external cues, even though there could be pretty bad consequences associated with doing so! This, sadly, is the power of social influence... I think this is a pretty strong factor in why maybe nobody did anything on the bus, as well as being intimidated by the actual attacker.
A lot of people think 'someone else will step in' or even 'it's nothing to do with me', and just hope it will stop soon. Having thought about this quite a bit, I'd really like to think I'd do something to help in that situation, but if you had never really considered it before I guess you might just be going off your instincts.
Original post by jismith1989

Original post by jismith1989
To be fair, if the drive had locked him in, he'd probably just have got more aggressive and attacked more people. It's a lesser evil that he gets away (at least for the short term) than that someone else gets seriously injured or killed too. That said, the driver probably wouldn't have had time to lock up without the guy pushing his way out anyway -- and all buses have an emergency door at the back which can be opened at all times.

Oh yeah, fair enough. It looked like a packed bus too, they should all have fought together. :dumbells: The thought that he still has a kid too...
Reply 50
Original post by Jacktri
I just won't even bother with this trolling anymore i'm just too good at it

Your life is sad.
Reply 51
I'm going to be honest, I wouldn't physically confront him, as I would be too scared to step in...the majority of people would, and also if he could do that to the woman, what's to stop him from doing that to me/others?

I would verbally confront him and tell him to stop forcefully, and the fact that she's disabled and a mother is absolutely disgusting.

All over a buggy.
What about this guy?

I'd have stood up for them, even if it would have gotten me into danger too.

I can't just stand by and watch someone beating someone else up. ;/
would probably call the police first then stand up and say something and maybe do something, more so if had something which can be turned into a weapon, but only if could take the person on if there was a group of them then would just sit there and maybe phone the police
Thinking about it I would say I would confront the attacker but when in practice, I would probably do nothing.
Reply 56
Its hard to say what I would do, I'd have to be there to decide. But, I'd like to think I'd get in the way to try and protect her - but if the guy is some mad raving tug, who seems to have flipped out, then I may think twice, just for myself not being hospitalised. But I'd like to think I'd give it a go, and jump in to try and protect her - what a scum bag to lash out at someone, a woman no less.
Lol no, the guys black...

I jk, I'd verbally tell him to stop and maybe somehow get the bus drivers attention or the attention of others on the bus to help me out.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Fusion
Internet have-a-go-hero, aye?

Don't care what anyone says, if I saw the bus incident in person, and a man was smashing a woman's head off the floor, I'd kick the living daylights out of him. Two men, it's a different story but when it's a mother who can't really defend herself, that's just not on.
Original post by Diaz89
:rofl:

Gotta love ambulance trips man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending