The Student Room Group

Cinema Snacks expensive

Scroll to see replies

The cinema gets something like 5% profit from the tickets sold, the rest goes to the companies- if they didn't charge so much then they'd be out of business. There are idiots keeping them in business who are willing to pay £4.50 for a hot dog that was delivered in a vaccuum pack full of water though!

I worked in Vue. Bad times.
I take my own. Makes much more sense.
Original post by b33tlejuice
I work in a cinema and believe me it kills me when I have to ask people for the money for the snacks which they have brought. Ive complained like my colleagues about the prices but the bosses wont listen, I mean I work there but I wont buy any of the stuff and we dont get discount on the food just hot drinks which are 50p. So much for a cheap night out! Long gone are those days especially if you are taking out a family or something!

I know the feeling as I also work in a cinema and feel bad when asking for the money... But it does annoy me when people feel the need to complain to me after having ordered a whole bunch of things for which there are prices that they can see! It's head office's decision, not mine! So shouting at me until I have tears in my eyes= not good! :colondollar:
Reply 23
The cinemas have to make their money somewhere.

They make surprisingly little off the film themselves.
y'all might find this an interesting read. Although it's from an American point of view, it's basically the same thing over here:

Economics Of The Movie Theater Where The Money Goes And Why It Costs Us So Much
Reply 25
There should be separate cinema screens for the untermenschen who eat food. You're there to watch a film, not stuff your ****ing face.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
i always heard that the cinemas rely on the profits from the snacks etc for profit which is why they cost so much, in the same way that petrol stations claim that all their profit comes from the stuff they sell in the litle shop rather than from the fuel.

i never buy anything from the cinema ever since my mate got a job there and told me the horrible truth about how they prepare things (unhygenic, etc).
I really dislike it when people stuff their faces during films anyway. Noisy wrappers and continuous munching irritates me. You're there for the film, not for a frickin' picnic! It shows just how little care many people have with regards to others... Oh well :frown: I don't actually mind if you're eating - I do! - but just don't make noise please :smile:

Back to the point, if you go to the cinema and don't spend extortionate amounts on a bit of popcorn, your date will think you're some kind of cheapskate... :/
Original post by tripleeagle

Back to the point, if you go to the cinema and don't spend extortionate amounts on a bit of popcorn, your date will think you're some kind of cheapskate... :/

Equality and all that, get the bitch to pay next time lol

(just a facetious joke btw)
Reply 29
The prices are RIDIULOUS. I asked for a nachos and a drink at odeon and they charged me £6.80! And she asked me if I wanted salsa or cheese dip. I replied 'i thought I get both with a large nachos?' she goes 'no, 2 dips will cost 75p extra. So my total for a handful of doritos, and some cheese and salsa on the side, with a drink was £7.55
I wanted to puke.
I agree.I buy a teen ticket(i'm 16) which costs eight pounds and popcorn that costs six and water that adds on another 4.50! I'm gonna bring my own bag of sweets and bottle of water.Much cheaper.
Reply 31
1. ASDA trip before
2. Stuff pockets with tooth rotting candy
3. Save money by not purchasing rip off cinema perishables
4. ?????
5. PROFIT!
Original post by OddThings
I agree.I buy a teen ticket(i'm 16) which costs eight pounds and popcorn that costs six and water that adds on another 4.50! I'm gonna bring my own bag of sweets and bottle of water.Much cheaper.

If you're being charged £8 for a teen ticket in Edinburgh for a non-3D film then you're being ripped off and obviously going to the wrong cinema.
i don't understand why we have this 'need' to eat sweets/chocolate/popcorn/crisps and drink fizzy drinks while watching a film at the cinema? I never usually take or buy any food, i just take a bottle of water in my bag in case i need some
Original post by silent ninja
(just a facetious joke btw)

haha gotta' be careful! :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by markberry91
how many of you go to the pictures and instead of buying snacks and drinks there you bring your own, maybe hidden in a handbag?

this is because of the prices they are asking. an example is a box of popcorn is £4.80say. where-as in home+bargain you can get twice as much popcorn for 80p. a drink for 30p. sweets for £2.00

Any ideas welcome.:cool:

Yh i've done that before... well I didn't put it in my handbag i put it in my hood...

woow where do you live... because where I live you can not buy a drink for 30p and £2 sweets seem over priced...
Reply 36
Original post by meatzaper
Yh i've done that before... well I didn't put it in my handbag i put it in my hood...

woow where do you live... because where I live you can not buy a drink for 30p and £2 sweets seem over priced...

i live in a town called skelmersdale. i use the cinema in southport,wigan,and st-helens. go to home+bargain or B+M and you will find the goods.
I sometimes put drinks in a bag. Don't really see myself carrying pop-corn in a backpack so I just put up with the price I guess... But yeah it's expensive. :frown:
Reply 38
Original post by markberry91
i live in a town called skelmersdale. i use the cinema in southport,wigan,and st-helens. go to home+bargain or B+M and you will find the goods.

oh maybe thats why... I live in london... never seen home+bargain or B+M before :s-smilie: wish we had those
Reply 39
I hardly go anymore and I'm 17! The prices are extortionate. I used to buy my sweets from Woolworths but now they are dead :frown: I get them from Wilkinsons now.

Quick Reply

Latest