The Student Room Group

The most boring/dull sports, what's the appeal?

Scroll to see replies

Every sport is boring at some point, Cricket is the only one I find consistently boring
Original post by Neil_K

Original post by Neil_K
Don't watch it then. Why not just change the tv channel??

I have to watch it because my friend is really forcing me to. He said i should give it a try and i did. The thing is i find it boring, my heart belongs to ice hockey/lax.
Don't diss Golf till you've tried yo :h:
Cricket's quite fun to watch unless it's Test matches.

Darts, Snooker, Golf and Tennis bore me.
Reply 24
Original post by Barden
Formula 1.

The only highlight is when a load of cars crash at the first bend.

As Jeremy Clarkson said in one of his books: "The driver rankings change more times in one lap of BTCC, than in a whole season of Formula 1"

You obviously didn't watch the 2010 Formula One season then - it was one of, if not the most, exciting seasons ever in the history of F1. 5 drivers were in contention for the championship, which has never happened before. It was an incident packed, and extremely exciting season. And there was tons of overtaking too.

Next year and beyond there are several changes to the cars coming in that should increase overtaking in the races even more.

Most people who say F1 is boring are basing their opinions on what F1 was like 6 or 7 years ago when Michael Schumacher won all the races and it was just a procession. But things have changed now and I hate it when people talk **** about F1 when they haven't actually watched a race recently.
(edited 13 years ago)
They're all alright... except Cricket, it's so dull honestly, although football matches involving England are also pretty grim.
I used to be a tiny bit of a cricketer. It would be pretty boring unless you played, even then you would have had to play quite a few games or put in a lot of training to appreciate the subtleties of the game.

That being the case, darts and bowls, golf and curling all have action you can watch - you know someone is going to throw a dart in the next minute, that some guy is going to throw a ball.

What I absolutely DO NOT fathom is how people watch fishing? You cannot know what is happening in a conventional sense of knowing that something is happening; i.e. expect to look at a guy with a piece of wire in some water moving it sideways for the entire day, without a bit.

Original post by kristinaalovesu
Im really struggling to watch Baseball.
Everytime i watch it, i just find myself falling asleep.

That is because it is retarded - 3 strikes and out? Easily one of the top ranking bizarre rules I have ever witnessed in a successful sport.
Original post by Neil_K

Golf
Cricket
Darts

Now now :wink: I LOVE cricket and golf, darts also has a great atmosphere! :smile:
Original post by DeanK22

Original post by DeanK22

That is because it is retarded - 3 strikes and out? Easily one of the top ranking bizarre rules I have ever witnessed in a successful sport.

Exactly.
There was a bowling green near my old work office and it happened to be where all the benches were, watching the old dears get far too excited about things was actually quite entertaining. It looked quite fun to play too :mmm:

Golf is the undisputed winner though, so pointless :yep:
Reply 30
The most boring sport I've ever seen on TV is cycling. I'm not joking when I say watching it makes me feel drowsy.

Oh yeah, and American Football. Just a bunch of men in hotpants and body armour crashing into each other for 30 seconds before taking a 30 000 year break, rinse and repeat all night long. I watched the Superbowl once because I was roped into it... Christ Almighty what a wasted evening that was.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by ch0llima
The most boring sport I've ever seen on TV is cycling. I'm not joking when I say watching it makes me feel drowsy.

Oh yeah, and American Football. Just a bunch of men in hotpants and body armour crashing into each other for 30 seconds before taking a 30 000 year break, rinse and repeat all night long.

I used to watch the Tour de France solely for the beautiful French scenery, from alps to pretty villages :sogood:

Cricket I used to find boring as a default, until I learnt the rules and terms it became reasonably watchable.

Golf just isn't designed for tv.
It's generally a subjective matter but even though play golf, it's hard to understand how people get a buzz watching it, because when they hit a long shot, the camera just follows a patch of sky, you can't really even see the ball.
Reply 33
People who find cricket boring don't understand cricket tbh, easily one of the most complex games ever.
Reply 34
This thread wins the "most people spouting **** about stuff they clearly know nothing about" award.
I won't comment on anything but snooker. Well, I like snooker quite a lot, but to me it's deprived of all joy when players have to play best of flipping 35 frames, and a frame can take as long as two hours, which makes it damn chuffin' dull.
Original post by Sakujo
People who find cricket boring don't understand cricket tbh, easily one of the most complex games ever.

Particle physics is also very complex but a lot of people still find it boring. :wink:

I happen to find cricket very dull unless it's accompanied by a beer or 3. Golf I hate. Snooker though is brilliant. Nothing better than settling in with a cup of tea and listening to Dennis Taylor's dulcet tones. I also play it so fully appreciate the difficulty of the game.

Different strokes for different folks, live and let live I say.
Reply 37
Strangely, I prefer to watch Cricket than any other sport.
Original post by py0alb
This thread wins the "most people spouting **** about stuff they clearly know nothing about" award.

Glad you could join us :hat2:
Reply 39
Cricket is defintely not boring, International twenty20 cricket is easily better than World cup football, they've even got cheerleaders!

Quick Reply

Latest