The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
I'm going to study biomedical sciences at Bangor university in a few weeks! So excited! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
what are the job prospects like for biomedicine?

can i become a researcher who publishes theories, writes books ect?

also

how much do you make/what are the routes

thank you
Reply 502
hey!
i just wanted to know if its possible to be a biomedical engineer with a biomedical sciences degree?

and if so what steps do I need to take after gaining a degree to become one?
thanks any links would be much appreciated!
Reply 503
Studying biomedical sciences in Coventry University then going for Graduate entry dentistry!
Hi guys I have a general plan of doing Biomed at uni :smile:, Btw how do you join the society, I have no clue :|

Thanks
Original post by ash92:)
Hi guys,

anyone else doing biomed get their plans screwed up because of the conservatives cutting NHS funds? It meant that there were only 3 possible places for the placement year (there were 160 students in year 2) even though when I came to the uni they were "accredited by IBMS" and gave an opportunity to "be eligible for working in the NHS via HPC registration".

lol sorry, moan over. I do find it very frustrating though since the year before me had the opportunity of the NHS placement.

Sadly IBMS accreditation doesn't guarantee a placement. the accreditation means the IBMS have already assessed the degree and agreed it covers the basic knowledge needed to work as a biomedical scientist. Don't stress too much though, get some voluntary work in a lab, do whatever you can to boost your chances of getting a job as a trainee and do the portfolio that way.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Original post by annony
hey!
i just wanted to know if its possible to be a biomedical engineer with a biomedical sciences degree?

and if so what steps do I need to take after gaining a degree to become one?
thanks any links would be much appreciated!

Yeah it's possible!! Do a masters in biomedical engineering. My girlfriend did BMS at uni and she's now doing an engineering doctorate at Cranfield uni about waste water treatment.

Links, just search on findamasters.co.uk and look at prospects.ac.UK

Biomed eng is a field I quite fancy, imagine getting to build your own lab! :colone: sexwee.

The maths would get on my tits though. Think I'll stick to my initial plan of working in the neurodegeneration field.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 507
hey does anyone know where I can find pastpaper for biomedical science or someone with a noble heart please post any useful notes or sites for 1st year student. Pretty please post them :smile: thank you.I will be so greatful.....
What do you guys think about MSC and the new healthcare science degrees? I still can't get my head around it!

Personally I think it's all about money saving by reducing the number of senior posts, rather than helping scientists to progress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HDchicky
hey does anyone know where I can find pastpaper for biomedical science or someone with a noble heart please post any useful notes or sites for 1st year student. Pretty please post them :smile: thank you.I will be so greatful.....

I will like this too. thank you! :smile:
Can anyone please give me some advice on Biomed exam answer writing? Going into third year very soon and aiming to get a good mark (first preferably!) to make up for my second year...but I'm terrible at the essay-based exams, I just don't know what to write! :/

I'm doing some reading now before the semester starts. If anyone could give me some advice (PM me or just post here if your prefer!) I would be incredibly grateful :smile:
hey, i've sent a request to join the group...please accept this biomed newbie :3
Reply 512
Hi i was wondering if any old (KCL perhaps) biomed students have any old textbooks that I can loan/borrow/purchase?

1) Chemistry for the biosciences (2th edition 2010)
2) Biochemsitry and molecular biology (4th edition 2009)
3) Rang and dale's pharmacology (7th edition)
3) junqueira's basic histology
4) human physiology (1th edition 2011)

thank you :smile:
Reply 513
Hopefully going to go to uni next year somewhere in London, not sure which one and not entirely sure if I want to do bio medical science... I just need to interrogate someone who's doing this course to make sure I'm not making the wrong decision for me. :confused:
Reply 514
Guys,the deadline for biomedical science is on the 15th january 2013,right??
Original post by Varsh05
Guys,the deadline for biomedical science is on the 15th january 2013,right??

Yep, just oxbridge and medicine is October.
Reply 516
Original post by Eloades11
Yep, just oxbridge and medicine is October.

Thank You :h:
Reply 517
Anyone got any ideas how I could/should go about finding/applying for summer placements?
Meeting the boss of the IBMS today! Nervous!
Have to talk about my year on clinical placement, hopefully I won't make an arse of myself!
Original post by Yawn11
Anyone got any ideas how I could/should go about finding/applying for summer placements?

There's this website called RateMyPlacement.co.uk, it's completely free to use and it'll update every time a company has places to offer. I'm currently using it and asking my tutor about summer internships. Have you tried the GSK website? I think they're allowing applications for summer placements soon. The bursary site's application forms will be released during November so I'm going to wait until then to start asking places.
Original post by Jack7Richards
Meeting the boss of the IBMS today! Nervous!
Have to talk about my year on clinical placement, hopefully I won't make an arse of myself!

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending