The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8240
Original post by rhinger
I actually find it a bit weird that people are being put off by Kroenke coming in. That too just because he's American. He's apparently the type that does nothing with what he owns apart from improving their chances of silverware, with Colorado in the MLS and Denver in the NBA.

One was suggesting earlier (sorry, cba to quote, it's a few pages back) that even if we get new, star players in, replacing what we have today, and then start winning the trophies, that it would feel weird if we win trophies with a completely different line-up. Wtf? Compare our line-up in the FA Cup final in 2005 to what we have now. Major difference been made already.

But yes, I'd rather see us win trophies with only a few more investments (along with sawing the deadwood out from the squad) than winning trophies with a star-studded lineup that we had to pay millions for, case in point Man City and Real Madrid.

Your last paragraph was exactly the point I was making, silly
Original post by voodoomagic
Don't even see what Usmanov has to gain by sticking around. The chance that he'll own Arsenal are beyond slim, and have been for a while and he's not magically going to get a seat on the board. At the suggested share price he'd make a tidy profit on his investment too. I suppose he's holding out for a better price but I don't think Kroenke would be in any hurry to hoover up the remaining stakes in the club having made the key breakthrough.

Usmanov will make very little profit at the current price. He has no reason to sell, and it'd be his way of sticking the proverbial finger up to the board. He also has David Dein on his side, who Kroenke apparently wants to come back to the Arsenal board......
Reply 8242
Original post by Triple_H

Original post by Triple_H
Your last paragraph was exactly the point I was making, silly

Were you the one I was talking about? Sorry not to quote you, I'm lazy.

Basically what I'm saying is that 5 years from now we'd have a completely different line-up from what we have now unless Wenger continues with his bull. It wouldn't really make a difference with lineups, they're bound to change.
Original post by Kevmeister
Usmanov will make very little profit at the current price. He has no reason to sell, and it'd be his way of sticking the proverbial finger up to the board. He also has David Dein on his side, who Kroenke apparently wants to come back to the Arsenal board......

Dein parted with Red and White (Usmanov's lot) a couple of years ago.
Original post by JoleonLescott
Dein parted with Red and White (Usmanov's lot) a couple of years ago.

Yes, but he's still an ally of Usmanov. He sold his shares to Red and White holdings.....

Fair enough, I didn't know how much he'd bought his shares for, though he did pay over the odds for some shares a few years back. True, if he's affronted as reported than he may just fancy being a dick, and it's not like he needs the money.
Yes, but he's still an ally of Usmanov. He sold his shares to Red and White holdings.....

He's still talks to Kroenke and they get on. Dein did support Kroenke in the first place and did help him get involved with Arsenal in the first place. You can't say he's an ally of Usmanov, as much as we know he just seems to have a foot in both camps.

Yes, but not so sure about an ally now. Usmanov's out of the picture to take over, which was the motivation for Dein selling to him in the first place.

If Kroenke wants Dein on board he'll just get him. Dein wanted to sell to him in the first place after all.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by JoleonLescott
Yes, but not so sure about an ally now. Usmanov's out of the picture to take over, which was why Dein sold in the first place.

If Kroenke wants Dein on board he'll just get him. Dein wanted to sell to him in the first place after all.

Put it better than me :wink:
Dein only sided with Usmanov since he guaranteed that Dein would get back in in the event of a takeover. Kroenke refused to guarantee this but if he wants Dein now, I'm sure he'd have no troubles.
Dein coming back also means Hill- Wood out which is even better.
Original post by Psychotic546
Put it better than me :wink:
Dein only sided with Usmanov since he guaranteed that Dein would get back in in the event of a takeover. Kroenke refused to guarantee this but if he wants Dein now, I'm sure he'd have no troubles.
Dein coming back also means Hill- Wood out which is even better.

I'd be pretty surprised if Dein did return. Even if Hill-Wood went it would still seem a strange power dynamic - looks to me like Gazidis has feet in several camps, football and commercial included...we've never appointed a Dein replacement, afte rall. Too many cooks and all that. Still, who knows, Kroenke's got these decisions now.

He'll definitely not be back whilst P Diddy HW's still there...
Are we definitely going to get Ryo during the next window ? or wil he still be with work permit issues ?
I don't see how this foreign ownership thing is an issue. We've been predominatnly foreign owned for the last 4 years anyway.
Original post by Hantheman
I don't see how this foreign ownership thing is an issue. We've been predominatnly foreign owned for the last 4 years anyway.

Because no-one before had the overall say. If Wenger wanted more funds (not realistic I know) then all board members would have to agree on investing. If they wanted to change structure they'd have to agree.

Also before none of them could put any pressure on Wenger now there's more accountability.
Although its not a good thing for English football and I hope it doesn't happen; it would be highly interesting/amusing if Kroenke uses a highly leverage deal to buy out Arsenal, and loads a ton of debt onto your club, and maybe some of the more naive Arsenal fans will realise how Man United came to be have their "irresponsible business model" and how easily it can happen to a club.

I read most of his wealth is tied up in assets much like the Glazers so he may have to look to some form of finance in the short time at least.
Well i guess we can now buy real guns in 'The Armoury' !
Usmanov's offered Lady Nina £13k per share as a counter offer. Has been rejected. I wish he'd get the hell out and wallow in his own fat..
Any chance of Djourou returning for the Pool game? Carroll and Suarez looking like a difficult pair to play against.
There are whispers that he may be back.

I really hope so, because 'Pool are looking dangerous atm.
Van Persie squared up to Abou Diaby at half-time in Arsenal’s 3-1 win over Blackpool and the pair had to be pulled apart by team-mates.

It is believed Van Persie lost his rag with Diaby after the French midfielder was booked for kicking the ball away just before half time with Arsenal leading 2-0.

Van Persie was incensed as Diaby had been sent off at Newcastle when Arsenal blew a four-goal lead in February.

Thought Cesc made the point on the pitch but apparently not :biggrin:

Link
Reply 8259
Interesting article about arsenals tactics http://arsenal-mania.com/articles/3110132/We-need-to-learn-from-our-rivals-in-England-not-Spain.html

Original post by Psychotic546
Thought Cesc made the point on the pitch but apparently not :biggrin:

Link

The irony of van persie having a go at someone for kicking the ball after the whistle

:ahee:
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest