The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1840
So, do you guys think you overachieved or underachieved this season? :p:
Spurs over achieved for sure right? how many votes down?
Original post by Xamanus

No, they had an average season, got 4th, which is an acheivement, but really bottled it and should have title challenged.
Bar the FA cup, where they were whipped in the semis, they've done terrible in the cups. How have they overachieved? They've done what was expected, challenged for a CL place.
Reply 1843
Original post by Xamanus

How have we overachieved? We were expecting us to get fourth this year and we did. Underachieving would us have been spending £200 million on the squad in the last two years and not winning anything. Overachieving would have been us getting 3rd place or 2nd place which we never have done before. Or even win the title.

We had a good cup run which I would say is expected of us. If teams like Cardiff and Portsmouth Stoke are able to do it in the FA cup/Carling, so should a top 6 premier league team like us.

Therefore neither. We have done what was expected.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1844
I'm just glad we are bringing through youngsters for the last couple of years. Walker, Caulker, Livermore, although albeit Walker came from Sheffield.

Apart from Richards, Man City have no one through their academy that won them the title.

Another point which is irrelavant, does anyone here agree that they were happy Real Madrid won the title instead of Barcelona? When the irony is, Barca have been winning titles through their excellent academy and Madrid more with their money?
Reply 1845
Original post by Kaz310
How have we overachieved? We were expecting us to get fourth this year and we did. Underachieving would us have been spending £200 million on the squad in the last two years and not winning anything. Overachieving would have been us getting 3rd place or 2nd place which we never have done before. Or even win the title.

We had a good cup run which I would say is expected of us. If teams like Cardiff and Portsmouth Stoke are able to do it in the FA cup/Carling, so should a top 6 premier league team like us.

Therefore neither. We have done what was expected.

To be fair, I think it also depends on whether you perceive the achievement of the season on a snapshot of the table at the end or over the course of it - and both are entirely valid ways to look at it, I think. If you use the latter, then at some early-mid point in the season, you guys were looking like you might just be title-contenders; before your crumble late on, you looked like you'd finish third by more than a comfortable margin. That might lend weight to the argument that you overachieved. It's the same difference in paradigm with expectation: at the points in the season I just mentioned - particularly the latter - you guys were expected to comfortably finish at least third, which you ended up not doing, which might lend weight to the argument that you underachieved. If you take the expectations of the beginning of the season and maintain that the way a team finishes is what ultimately matters, then your assertion that you guys neither overachieved nor underachieved would probably ring truest (although, was nobody on here worried at the beginning of the season about Liverpool pushing you out of the top 4? As I remember it, most people thought Liverpool would really be back in with a bang after their run of good form in the later half of last season).
Talk of Ledley to Reading if he can't agree a new contract.

Um, no.
I'd hate it if he left for another club, always thought he'd be the one club man of my generation :cry:
Appreciate it's the Euros, but transfer talk runs dry. Seems we're tight-lipped as ever as to who we want to take on board.
Reply 1849
Original post by rockrunride
Appreciate it's the Euros, but transfer talk runs dry. Seems we're tight-lipped as ever as to who we want to take on board.

Aren't Spurs signing Verthogen? :holmes:
Slow progress. Slow progress on everything really.

Just heard Spurs are playing at the Mestalla on 9 August, this is depressing as it's slap in the middle of the Olympics. My two favourite teams going head to head and I can't go :nothing:
Slow progress. Slow progress on everything really.

Just heard Spurs are playing at the Mestalla on 9 August, this is depressing as it's slap in the middle of the Olympics. My two favourite teams going head to head and I can't go :nothing:

Levy's mother passed away yesterday, so I imagine business will be on hold for a while.
Original post by Glennith
Levy's mother passed away yesterday, so I imagine business will be on hold for a while.

Awww, feel bad now :sad: Hope he and his family are alright.
Reply 1853
Original post by Abiraleft
To be fair, I think it also depends on whether you perceive the achievement of the season on a snapshot of the table at the end or over the course of it - and both are entirely valid ways to look at it, I think. If you use the latter, then at some early-mid point in the season, you guys were looking like you might just be title-contenders; before your crumble late on, you looked like you'd finish third by more than a comfortable margin. That might lend weight to the argument that you overachieved. It's the same difference in paradigm with expectation: at the points in the season I just mentioned - particularly the latter - you guys were expected to comfortably finish at least third, which you ended up not doing, which might lend weight to the argument that you underachieved. If you take the expectations of the beginning of the season and maintain that the way a team finishes is what ultimately matters, then your assertion that you guys neither overachieved nor underachieved would probably ring truest (although, was nobody on here worried at the beginning of the season about Liverpool pushing you out of the top 4? As I remember it, most people thought Liverpool would really be back in with a bang after their run of good form in the later half of last season).

This is an interesting question if you are a Spurs fan because the emotion at the end of it all. I don't think I've ever witnessed, or been a part of such a roller coaster experience as a fan.

I think in reality we achieved exactly what we set out to by the end of the season, most fans would have said yes to fourth at the start and therefore we neither over or under achieved.

The best way IMHO to judge this if you are a neutral is to look at squads, or 'best 11' and decipher it that way. On that basis I think there is an argument to say we under achieved, but i'd also go as far to say Man United over achieved with the squad they have. Man United's success is based on the physiological impact supported by their history. Once you start considering those kind of variables it's a much wider conversation.

Man for man I think we (Spurs) had to ability to challenge for the title, but we simply don't have the mental strength, couple that with other external factors and the crumble was inevitable...the surprise was the extent of that crumble.
Awww, feel bad now :sad: Hope he and his family are alright.

What annoys me is how Redknapp starts blabbing on, and posturing for a new contract, surely fully aware of Levy's loss?
Redknapp has come across as a bit of an arrogant berk tbh. He talked him self up so much in that interview wrt a new contract.
Reply 1856
Kranjcar to join Dynamo Kiev for £5.75m. A shame how little an impact he was able to make, always thought he was a pretty good player.
Reply 1857
RIP JD senior. Saddening news, can't imagine how hard it must be to cope with a family member's death when you aren't there :frown:
Reply 1859
Note of support to Defoe. :rip:

Quick Reply

Latest