The Student Room Group

Not drinking at university

Anyone not going to drink at university?

Ok, I can see myself having the odd drink but all in all I don't see the point in drinking, I don't enjoy being drunk but it seems to be a huge part of the student lifestyle. I'll drink during freshers to meet people but after that... I'm going to change my alcohol:non-alcohol ratio.

Yeah, so... who feels the same?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexs2602

Ok, I can see myself having the odd drink but all in all I don't see the point in drinking, I don't enjoy being drunk but it seems to be a huge part of the student lifestyle. I'll drink during freshers to meet people but after that... I'm going to change my alcohol:non-alcohol ratio.

Don't worry, there are lots of people like you. I'm similar in that I don't drink as much as other people. The maximum I have normally is like two pints of whatever. No problem :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sicarius1992
Don't worry, there are lots of people like you. I'm similar in that I don't drink as much as other people. The maximum I have normally is like two pints of whatever. No problem :smile:

Same, two or three pints and I'm done.

In a way, now that I think about it, I worry that this may stop me from fitting in.
I didn't drink in freshers' week and got on fine. I have since started drinking but you don't need alcohol to have a good time as long as you don't mind being with drunk people.
Beware of becoming a 'babysitter' for your drunken friends though, has happened many a time.
Reply 4
I only know a couple of people who don't drink. The problem is as i see it unless you are really fun and cool a individual when sober you will struggle by not drinking. If you are an alpha character who always is at the centre of attention and is really fun you will have zero problem. If you are a quiet character i wouldn't highly recommend it personally. But then again if you don't enjoy it then yeh it's a different story really.

I don't see a problem with drinking 2 or 3 pints though. I know a few people who just don't drink much and if you are a strong character and everything you will be fine.

Remember you will meet friends like you know at home in uni. It's not a completely new type of people.

Just do what you feel is best. If you aren't making friends drinking alcohol and feel you are too shy sober, then have a few pints to loosen up. I mean, getting drunk isn't compulsory, and people accept that. But too often i have met people who don't drink and are quite frankly not very interesting people as their stories are generally quite boring unless your type of character is alpha and strong.
Reply 5
Original post by minimarshmallow
I didn't drink in freshers' week and got on fine. I have since started drinking but you don't need alcohol to have a good time as long as you don't mind being with drunk people.
Beware of becoming a 'babysitter' for your drunken friends though, has happened many a time.

I'll bear it in mind. Typically I'm quite a... caring person but I can see it getting old quickly. Good to know
Reply 6
Well there's two ways you can deal with it:

You can either make a big deal out of it and be like "OK I'll come to the pub but I'm only having 2 pints and then I'm leaving", or you can just go, drink as much as you feel comfortable with, and then if anyone asks about it, you can tell them you don't really drink so much.

I think you only won't fit in if you make other people feel bad about drinking by making it seem like its a huge deal or like you're judging them or whatever. Just do what you feel comfortable with. Others who may feel the same but feel like they have to drink loads to fit in may end up finding your example and seeing that they don't have to.

I'm not a big drinker either, but I always went out with my friends when I had time. If you wanna stay out with them, just sub every second drink for a non-alcoholic one and then when you have had enough, only drink non-alcoholic drinks. If not, go home when you want to. You might get a little joking about being a lightweight or whatever, but it's just a veiled attempt to get you to stay and hang out with them, which is quite nice really.

Edit: Oh, and you'll also save money :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Gob Bluth
I only know a couple of people who don't drink. The problem is as i see it unless you are really fun and cool a individualnot sure I'd say fun/cool, I think the word that suits me best is chilled and perhaps interesting but I don't think much of myself so who knows, that doesnt show to be clear. Also depends on social group I suppose when sober you will struggle by not drinking. If you are an alpha character who always is at the centre of attention and is really fun you will have zero problem. If you are a quiet character i wouldn't highly recommend it personally. But then again if you don't enjoy it then yeh it's a different story really.

I don't see a problem with drinking 2 or 3 pints though. I know a few people who just don't drink much and if you are a strong character and everything you will be fine.Couldnt tell you what kind of character I have to be fair, i can tell you who I am but not how I appear

Remember you will meet friends like you know at home in uni. It's not a completely new type of people.

Just do what you feel is best. If you aren't making friends drinking alcohol and feel you are too shy soberNot a problem, then have a few pints to loosen up. I mean, getting drunk isn't compulsory, and people accept that. But too often i have met people who don't drink and are quite frankly not very interesting people as their stories are generally quite boringDefine boring. unless your type of character is alpha and strong.

Replies in red in quote.
I was like this at the beginning of uni, then changed. :ninja: I know lots of people who don't drink and have lots of fun still, so don't worry about it.

^this exactly. im done with it, but thats the way to go. freshers is drinking indeed. but after that switch your ratio. just drink whenever you feel like it not because everyone does it for whatever reason haha
Reply 10
Original post by jennie_lin
Well there's two ways you can deal with it:

You can either make a big deal out of it and be like "OK I'll come to the pub but I'm only having 2 pints and then I'm leaving", or you can just go, drink as much as you feel comfortable with, and then if anyone asks about it, you can tell them you don't really drink so much.

I think you only won't fit in if you make other people feel bad about drinking by making it seem like its a huge deal or like you're judging them or whatever. Just do what you feel comfortable with. Others who may feel the same but feel like they have to drink loads to fit in may end up finding your example and seeing that they don't have to.

I'm not a big drinker either, but I always went out with my friends when I had time. If you wanna stay out with them, just sub every second drink for a non-alcoholic one and then when you have had enough, only drink non-alcoholic drinks. If not, go home when you want to. You might get a little joking about being a lightweight or whatever, but it's just a veiled attempt to get you to stay and hang out with them, which is quite nice really.

Edit: Oh, and you'll also save money :biggrin:

Original post by Crazy Paving
I was like this at the beginning of uni, then changed. :ninja: I know lots of people who don't drink and have lots of fun still, so don't worry about it.

Why can't other people be like you two? I wasnt asking for advice to be perfectly honest but you've definitely put my mind at rest. I'm not going to make a big deal out of it but can understand how I might look weird. If I start drinking more then so be it but you see quite a few threads around TSR where people say they didnt go to freshers and now have no friends.
Reply 11
I don't get drinking everybody lowers their standards and it doesn't taste nice
Original post by Stasiaxx
I don't get drinking everybody lowers their standards and it doesn't taste nice

You are obviously drinking the wrong kind of alcohol. Some **** tastes nasty, but others are sheer liquid wonderment. Jagermeister, Morgans Spiced and Jack Daniels for a start
Reply 13
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
You are obviously drinking the wrong kind of alcohol. Some **** tastes nasty, but others are sheer liquid wonderment. Jagermeister, Morgans Spiced and Jack Daniels for a start

Thats a matter of opinion like many things. I can't stand Jack Daniels. I'm not a big drinker but that doesnt make what I say any less true.

Why can't other people be like you two? I wasnt asking for advice to be perfectly honest but you've definitely put my mind at rest. I'm not going to make a big deal out of it but can understand how I might look weird. If I start drinking more then so be it but you see quite a few threads around TSR where people say they didnt go to freshers and now have no friends.

It's not weird at all not drinking at uni. Ok, maybe if you're not actually drinking (ie soft drink) then it's a bit odd, but all you need is a soft drink and it'll be fine. Don't let these ideas be stuck into your head, it's really not what people at uni are like.
Replies in red in quote.

Honestly you don't sound confident enough and the way you are replying shows that i believe.

End of day drinking gives you confidence and most of the alpha males have this confidence already.

I'm saying they seem like boring characters. Stories tend to be boring so conversation is tricky as often alcohol consumption correlates with those who don't drink. Unless you have travelled a lot and quite cultured not many people can pull off not drinking at all and make loads of friends for example. You have to be a character if you don't drink and if you're unsure if you are one or not then you aren't enough of one. You say chilled so i'm guessing quite quiet and shy with non alpha characteristics.

Problem is with Britain's drinking culture it is hard to escape from the drinking whether you agree with it or like it or not. And it is a great way to make friends and bonds. If you're in freshers and you're not drinking and you aren't enough of a character and you don't shine through you won't get any girls and will struggle to make friends as you won't be approachable really i'm guessing. I don't know you so i might be wrong, but if you don't drink i would highly recommend you try get more alpha characteristics if you want Uni life to be awesome. Depends what you want end of day! :smile:

You will only get judged if you make a big deal from not drinking. I dislike those people who say they don't drink and try to make like they're better than you. So don't make a big deal of it if you don't want to do it. End of day it is up to you. It is you who creates your uni experience. I've given you a few things to mull over at what to expect as i think it is good for people to know what to know what they're in for. For example i didn't make the most out of my first year at uni. Not that i didn't drink as i drink as much as my friends, but lacked the confidence at the start and was a bit overwhelmed by it all. Now i realise my mistakes and i kinda wish i read things similar to this before :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Thats a matter of opinion like many things. I can't stand Jack Daniels. I'm not a big drinker but that doesnt make what I say any less true.

In a roundabout way thats what I meant, and there will be something for everyone. I love budweiser to bits, but no one else I know likes it, it just depends on the person, but to try one or maybe 2 types of alcohol and then dismiss it all of not tasting nice is ridiculous, if you don't want to man up then you can always drink alcopops, if you dislike them, yet like normal fizzy drinks then you must be mental as they taste the same.
Reply 17
Original post by metalthrashin'mad

Thanks will try, however probably will dislike. Much rather spend money on food.
Reply 18
wehay! I won't be the only one who doesn't drink at uni haha.
Original post by Stasiaxx
Thanks will try, however probably will dislike. Much rather spend money on food.

Yeah, you just need to try different types of alcohol, it was ages until I found the beers and spirits which suit me best. Couldn't care less about wine though.
I'm cutting back on my drinking too, it would be nice to have loaves of bread that aren't smartprice from time to time lol. First week back I spent a ridiculous amount on alcohol, a bottle of each of them spirits which was like £15 each, either 5 or 6 8 packs of carlsberg, i think 4 or 8 cans of guiness and spent £30 in one night at the pub. Probably somewhere around £120-150 worth, too much really, considering my budget for the term after accomodation is £400! Ignore me a while back I'm rambling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending