The Student Room Group

Geology A-Level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by muzz.r
i did the ocr exam board but i can help.

theres not alot of talk about geology alevels at all on the student room but it definitely is a credited alevel.
its counted as science so if you wanted to do a science related degree its perfect. especially if you dont fancy doing two of physics, chemistry and biology.

geology was my favourite subject so much so that im off to durham uni next year to study geoscience.

so in answer yes it is credited and its a really good subject.

the main tropics for ocr at least but i assume are relatively the same are

continental drift evidence
earthquakes
volcanoes
sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic petrology
oil and gas
water storage
construction geology ie dams tunelling etc
nuclear waste storage
paleontonlogy-- my least favourite as there is ALOT of new terminology to learn especially as you will never of touched on it in geography or biology at gcse. but its still interesting once you get to grips with it.

highly recommend!!:smile:

Hey! I was also thinking of doing Geology A-level but as I'm a mature student I was thinking of self-teaching. Do you think this is possible or would it be too hard? Also, what other A-levels did you do to study Geoscience?
Reply 21
Original post by roro1609
Hey! I was also thinking of doing Geology A-level but as I'm a mature student I was thinking of self-teaching. Do you think this is possible or would it be too hard? Also, what other A-levels did you do to study Geoscience?

I am doing wjec geol. Self teaching would be hard and 1 of the 3 exams is an investigation n research project, its worth 33% of exam. Without fielwork trips and writting up the investigation it would have been impossible this yr. Though as course is changing for new spec it might be poss to study maps instead. Geol is great, my fav subject.
Does anyone have a copy of the June 2015 Unit 5 OCR paper and mark scheme? Maybe you did it for a mock... it's restricted on the OCR website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending