The Student Room Group

Do you ever feel umemployable?

I've just got back from delivering leaflets in the cold for measly £6.00.

At the moment I have one big fear that when I graduate I won't be able to get a job due to influx of graduates. Does anybody else feel like this? Also my business idea has hit a snag as there is too many people already doing what I intended to do.
Reply 1
amazingtrade

At the moment I have one big fear that when I graduate I won't be able to get a job due to influx of graduates. Does anybody else feel like this? Also my business idea has hit a snag as there is too many people already doing what I intended to do.

I think a lot of people feel like this. I'm convinced I'm gonna end up opening envelopes for Readers Digest for the rest of my life because they're the only people who'll employ me. There just seems to be so many more graduates out there who have better qualifications and more experience and more extra curricular activities, I just can't see why they'd want to give me a job over all these other people
Reply 2
ditzy blonde
I think a lot of people feel like this. I'm convinced I'm gonna end up opening envelopes for Readers Digest for the rest of my life because they're the only people who'll employ me. There just seems to be so many more graduates out there who have better qualifications and more experience and more extra curricular activities, I just can't see why they'd want to give me a job over all these other people

Yeah thats exactly my problem. I am like frank spencer I don't go to work, I just go to interviews. I actually gave up when Maplin turned me down for a £4 an hour job.

I am going to try and get involved in volunteering which may help and also give me society once last go. I just feel like I am stuck in a rut with my parents at the moment, I am 21 and need a way of standing on my own two feet. This is why I am getting slightly depressed more than anything else.
Reply 3
amazingtrade

Argh! Your not one of those people who hang outside the SU bugging everyone trying to walk past!?

I feel unemployable but 6 months of being unemployed does that to you. :frown:
Reply 4
Hmmm, I just happen to be very lucky and already have a job (part time at the moment although I could become full time whenever I wished) to fall back on even if things don't end up working out for me at university.
I haven't yet started Uni, but people are already worrying me that it's going to be difficult to find a job after graduating because there's going to be so much competition :frown: ...

i may end up like jean rhys according to my mother...how worrying.
Reply 6
Lbar
Argh! Your not one of those people who hang outside the SU bugging everyone trying to walk past!?

I feel unemployable but 6 months of being unemployed does that to you. :frown:

No I don't believe in pestering people. Maybe that is my downfall. The more I think about it the more depressed I get, especialy when I consider the houses near me are raising £100 a day, I am completly out of the property market now :mad:

I will probably end up working for the council as a dustmin and leaving in a council flat. I do want to setup my own business but there just dosn't seem to be a market more new companies in my area. I could run an online shop but would have nothing to sell I could make money on.
Reply 7
amazingtrade
No I don't believe in pestering people. Maybe that is my downfall. The more I think about it the more depressed I get, especialy when I consider the houses near me are raising £100 a day, I am completly out of the property market now :mad:

I will probably end up working for the council as a dustmin and leaving in a council flat. I do want to setup my own business but there just dosn't seem to be a market more new companies in my area. I could run an online shop but would have nothing to sell I could make money on.

Me and a friend spent about £3000 on computer parts from a wholesaler. Built these PC's and sold them on Ebay and by advertising on the Loot and in tesco. We made 9 Pc base units cost around £330 each and sold them for between £400-£500 each and made a profit of about £1,500 in about 3 wks. do sommat like that....
Reply 8
ShOcKzZ
Me and a friend spent about £3000 on computer parts from a wholesaler. Built these PC's and sold them on Ebay and by advertising on the Loot and in tesco. We made 9 Pc base units cost around £330 each and sold them for between £400-£500 each and made a profit of about £1,500 in about 3 wks. do sommat like that....

I have thought about this but wouldn't want to sell them with an ilegal operating system. I did this when I was about 14/15 and made quite a bit of money on it. I am sure the market is still there though. My mum won't have people coming round to the house either which is a bit of a problem. Shipping costs would be too expensive for ebay. I have thouht about reparing laptops and selling them on ebay but it is one big massive risk.

Latest

Trending

Trending