The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -WhySoSerious?
:awesome: it is

Well only ~10% of people on the course will seriously think about becoming investment bankers and <1% will actually make it, so don't worry! Yep, it's completely separate from the careers service.

http://bit.ly/Join-BFY for anyone at York who's interested...

it sounds groovy!
when do people run for like welfare officer and sports things and stuff like that? is it collegiate and overall like separate from what i gather? so exciting at the prospect of being BUSY! need to do like twice as much next year to make up for the mass slump this year :smile:
University of York
York
Original post by hannah9000
it sounds groovy!
when do people run for like welfare officer and sports things and stuff like that? is it collegiate and overall like separate from what i gather? so exciting at the prospect of being BUSY! need to do like twice as much next year to make up for the mass slump this year :smile:

Those elections (in colleges) run like end of term one I think? But sports club elections tend to be now, or next term.
Original post by Ramin Gorji

haha cant wait! But i need to get my A2 results first :P

What is the most quantitative route you can take?
Also, what type of maths is involved at degree level economics I know matrices are often used but that's about it really :P

Probably Maths 1 and IST in first year, then dynamic modelling and capital markets..maybe some others in second.

Maths 1 overview: http://www.york.ac.uk/media/economics/documents/modules/Mathematics%20I%20-%20ECO00004C.pdf
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by -WhySoSerious?
Probably Maths 1 and IST in first year, then dynamic modelling and capital markets..maybe some others in second.

Maths 1 overview: http://www.york.ac.uk/media/economics/documents/modules/Mathematics%20I%20-%20ECO00004C.pdf

Nice! :cool:
no of course not, and if that's your dream job go for it. i just think with an economics degree you could go down pretty much any career path but some people seem to think banking is glamorous or something. obvs you do get paid a lot, but i don't think the work is very interesting, and i did work experience at an investment bank - my careers advisor thought cos i loved economics this is what i should do.

i'd rather like, work for the treasury or do sorta, back room stuff as an economist and be low paid but enjoy it then go into IB. anyway chances of going into IB as a woman are so low...

ps so many economists in this thread - we need some female economists! serious lack.

Firstly, stop the IB bashing! and anyway, I actually said I didn't want to do IB, I want to something less competitive/more interesting.

I agree with you about doing something more interesting though, all IB is shifting money about to make a profit, it isn't about changing the economy at all, which is something I would be more interested, like god forbid working for government :eek: in an economy role. And your point about getting into IB as a woman are low, getting into IB at all the chances are so low! and you need so much work experience with the companies just to be considered for a job it is a joke.

And yeah i agree, I hope the course isn't a complete sausage fest! There were no girls in my a-level econ class, so I was hoping for a bit of a different insight really!

Anyway, this is the York firmers thread, not a career discussion thread!

So...
Original post by Mrav
Name: Mia

Course: Bioarchaeology

Offer: Conditional (32 Points)

Favourite Accommodation: James or Alcuin

Any other info: IB people arn't that bad! Why the hating?? hahaha

Welcome to the thread! and I think it was covered, but we were talking about Investment banking, not International Baccalaureate.

Also, Bioarchaelogy sounds like an awesome degree. My friends stepmum does that as her job, and she spends like her whole time in Hong Kong and stuff diving down into shipwrecks. I couldn't think of a better job!

officially firmed York for L100 bsc Economics :biggrin:

Yay! :smile:

Original post by Helen H
Ah, oh well about the masters thing! :tongue: I will end up in Scotland one way or another! Yeah, I really like the rusticy parts of cities too, and with the shambles, city walls, York Minster and Clifford's Tower, York is pretty much perfect! :biggrin: I wonder if they'll let me come to next years open day too :confused:

York is such a nice city, I am looking forward to spending time there! I imagine you could blag a place at the open day, I doubt it is that restrictive, half the seats were empty when i went :confused:
Original post by alwatkins1991
Firstly, stop the IB bashing! and anyway, I actually said I didn't want to do IB, I want to something less competitive/more interesting.

I agree with you about doing something more interesting though, all IB is shifting money about to make a profit, it isn't about changing the economy at all, which is something I would be more interested, like god forbid working for government :eek: in an economy role. And your point about getting into IB as a woman are low, getting into IB at all the chances are so low! and you need so much work experience with the companies just to be considered for a job it is a joke.

And yeah i agree, I hope the course isn't a complete sausage fest! There were no girls in my a-level econ class, so I was hoping for a bit of a different insight really!

Anyway, this is the York firmers thread, not a career discussion thread!

i don't think i would wanna work for the government, but it could be quite interesting! god knows what the govt will even be up to in 3 years! it's true that there's like a 0.5% success rate of getting into IB but it's even harder for women! yeah for the infamous goldman sachs you have to get through 11 interviews or something ridiculous!
i'm sure it won't be too much of a sausage fest - i like to hope not anyway! they probs have a quota of females they have to fill aswell, they love girls on these sciencey subjects. although it is a SOCIAL science
i don't think i would wanna work for the government, but it could be quite interesting! god knows what the govt will even be up to in 3 years! it's true that there's like a 0.5% success rate of getting into IB but it's even harder for women! yeah for the infamous goldman sachs you have to get through 11 interviews or something ridiculous!
i'm sure it won't be too much of a sausage fest - i like to hope not anyway! they probs have a quota of females they have to fill aswell, they love girls on these sciencey subjects. although it is a SOCIAL science

Yeah I don't think I would either, but it is all a long way of yet, plenty of time to think about what I want to do! That is ridiculous for Goldman Sachs; I am really bad at interviews, I don't think I could cope with 11! I did a phone interview once for a job in a call centre, and just completely messed it up (to be fair I had never done one before, and didn't expect questions asking me about times that i had to sell something before, which i had never really done, so I just made up a load of stuff and still didn't get the job!)
Yeah they probably have to have it mixed to keep the equality people happy. My dad doesn't think it is a science, he is an engineer and is massively dissapointed im not following in his footsteps! Apparantly economics is a 'dossy' subject :mad:
Yeah I don't think I would either, but it is all a long way of yet, plenty of time to think about what I want to do! That is ridiculous for Goldman Sachs; I am really bad at interviews, I don't think I could cope with 11! I did a phone interview once for a job in a call centre, and just completely messed it up (to be fair I had never done one before, and didn't expect questions asking me about times that i had to sell something before, which i had never really done, so I just made up a load of stuff and still didn't get the job!)
Yeah they probably have to have it mixed to keep the equality people happy. My dad doesn't think it is a science, he is an engineer and is massively dissapointed im not following in his footsteps! Apparantly economics is a 'dossy' subject :mad:

11 is a crazy number - and yeah phone interviews are horrible - i had one for 2 mins before they invited me to an assessment! i dunno how you can get an impression of someone over the phone, i need to smile at people, i'm useless at phones!! cleaning plates is better than call centre anyway!
yeah my mum was like, nothing is ever right or wrong in economics, no one can prove anyone else wrong, which is rather true but obvs you can be wrong with some stuff! engineering is hardcore, and then you can only be an engineer! i'd do engineering if i was clever enough

literally have no idea what i've done for the last 5 days of my life!
Reply 388
anybody decided which college they like yet? and when do we apply for accommodation? august is it? :smile:
Original post by roooobyn.
anybody decided which college they like yet? and when do we apply for accommodation? august is it? :smile:

You apply on the first of August if you have an unconditional offer, and on results day if you're still waiting for A level results :smile:
Name: Sara

Course: English Language and Linguistics

Offer: Unconditional

Favourite Accommodation: Vanbrugh, or Derwent....or Langwith....I can't decide really!

Any other info: Growing bored of my gap year now, can't wait to start! Any other musicians/musical theatre nuts off to York?
11 is a crazy number - and yeah phone interviews are horrible - i had one for 2 mins before they invited me to an assessment! i dunno how you can get an impression of someone over the phone, i need to smile at people, i'm useless at phones!! cleaning plates is better than call centre anyway!
yeah my mum was like, nothing is ever right or wrong in economics, no one can prove anyone else wrong, which is rather true but obvs you can be wrong with some stuff! engineering is hardcore, and then you can only be an engineer! i'd do engineering if i was clever enough

literally have no idea what i've done for the last 5 days of my life!

I know its so stupid, I just got really flustered and started rambling on haha.
Engineering is pretty hardcore, physics a-level was hard enough! dont think i could do it at degree level.
That is true about economics, I read somewhere that economics is 'the only academic field where two people can win the nobel prize for completely opposing theories.' Which means you are always right, therefore best subject ever!

Just did some googling, and i found these definitions of an economist:
1. an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today 2. a person who knows more about money than people who have it 3. one of a group of people who, if laid end to end, couldn't reach a conclusion 4. one of a band of educated men and women who define and codify the laws of greed 5. an ambidextrous individual who is always saying, "...on the other hand" 6. one who firmly believes that they are needed by the poor to tell them that they are 7. a person who works with numbers but lacks the personality to be an accountant

I agree with most of these, except for number 7. Accountants are the most boring people ever! Economics is what the cool people study :biggrin:

Tell me about it. All I do is work, tv, sleep, repeat. And now my computer has broken so i have to resort to using my crappy laptop that dies if the charger falls out :frown: However I am going out tomorrow night as i have my first saturday night off in FOREVER :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 392
Woah internet issues :/ Maasive fail but i see the Accom website has been changed and makes more sens\ (yay!)

it is quite big sometimes you dunno what to do - like all my friend and i did was eat food cos we couldn't choose what to do when we went into central the other day!! it was a stupid waste of money. bath is just amazing, i really don't wanna become too fond! i haven't got good enough grades for there anyway.
it's true, but 4 and a half hours away, wah!

I live near brighton so I go up quite a lot and we never manage to get everything we want to done :tongue: Its just too big! I hate when you do that and regret it afterwards (I keep imagining me at uni and eating cat food) but its good to get out as I found staying inside with nothing to do sent me a little mental. Luckily York is pretty and all historic too, otherwise I can imagine it'd be hard to go there! Gah that commute to see your bf is going to be a bit of a mission - its hard enough for me to get home, cant imagine trying to do that frequently! Thank god for Skype eh? :P

I applied because I knew I was moving there; so thought it would be convenient... I did like no research really into what uni's I was applying to except for looking at league tables and comparing entry requirements, which was probably quite stupid, but I get too bored researching stuff like that, so I figure if it is high in the league tables the course must be at least pretty good :tongue: Stupidly I didn't realise St. Andrews considers itself the Oxford of Scotland, and is quite hard to get into even though it asks for AAB. The scenery is great though, and I am sure if I was a student and integrated more into the community would be better! I went to the student union today though, and it is rubbish, York's is actually so much nicer so that's good!

Yeah I should probably do some research also, but we have ages until september (it will probs go by super quickly though!), I will eventually have to force myself to do some research!

Ah that makes more sense - wondered why you applied if you had lived there! I can imagine living there as a student is massively different though...it must be! :P Bit dangerous just going on league tables, i didnt overly research but just went for ones I thought Id like and knew a bit about. To be honest Im sure I'd have been fine anywhere as long as it had a decent course, friendly city and a library :wink: Haha Im sure it'll fly by....plus I just got made redundant at my job :redface: It was only temporary but still a bit annoying, going into full gap year mode for a bit i think... Travelling seems like its pretty much off the cards now, just sticking to the holiday! Hopefully you have the determination to stick with your job so you have the option! :smile:
Reply 393
[
Original post by SaraDeutsch
Name: Sara

Course: English Language and Linguistics

Offer: Unconditional

Favourite Accommodation: Vanbrugh, or Derwent....or Langwith....I can't decide really!

Any other info: Growing bored of my gap year now, can't wait to start! Any other musicians/musical theatre nuts off to York?

I'm English Lit :smile: I love music but pretty untalented as far as instruments go! I know there are quite a few societies for musical theatre and even one for panto's as far as I'd seen :smile: Vanbrugh is meant to have a great atmosphere for music and the arts - I like it too for that reason, at least we have time to figure out the accom we want!
Reply 394
Finally been sent an offer for an open day for Biology. Wasn't able to go to the soonest one as my parents are on holiday and don't want me going on my own while they're out of the country...

But still, 14th of April!!! :biggrin:
I know its so stupid, I just got really flustered and started rambling on haha.
Engineering is pretty hardcore, physics a-level was hard enough! dont think i could do it at degree level.
That is true about economics, I read somewhere that economics is 'the only academic field where two people can win the nobel prize for completely opposing theories.' Which means you are always right, therefore best subject ever!

Just did some googling, and i found these definitions of an economist:
1. an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today 2. a person who knows more about money than people who have it 3. one of a group of people who, if laid end to end, couldn't reach a conclusion 4. one of a band of educated men and women who define and codify the laws of greed 5. an ambidextrous individual who is always saying, "...on the other hand" 6. one who firmly believes that they are needed by the poor to tell them that they are 7. a person who works with numbers but lacks the personality to be an accountant

I agree with most of these, except for number 7. Accountants are the most boring people ever! Economics is what the cool people study :biggrin:

Tell me about it. All I do is work, tv, sleep, repeat. And now my computer has broken so i have to resort to using my crappy laptop that dies if the charger falls out :frown: However I am going out tomorrow night as i have my first saturday night off in FOREVER :biggrin:

haha that's a good quote about the nobel prize!! my fave one of those number things is "5. an ambidextrous individual who is always saying, "...on the other hand" " - HOWEVER is like my favourite word ever. but i don't even remember how to write an essay these days!! i can't imagine doing an accountancy degree, so dry ( i know a lot of people say that about econ) - but an accountancy career would be alright - i don't mind what i do i seem to get lost in stuff when it's hard and interesting!
haha at least work is in your routine, all i do is eat and sleep and quite a lot of both!! ah my laptop is a nightmare, my battery life is an hour - it's SUCH a pain and the laptop is huuuge and heavy

Original post by rachstarr
Woah internet issues :/ Maasive fail but i see the Accom website has been changed and makes more sens\ (yay!)

I live near brighton so I go up quite a lot and we never manage to get everything we want to done :tongue: Its just too big! I hate when you do that and regret it afterwards (I keep imagining me at uni and eating cat food) but its good to get out as I found staying inside with nothing to do sent me a little mental. Luckily York is pretty and all historic too, otherwise I can imagine it'd be hard to go there! Gah that commute to see your bf is going to be a bit of a mission - its hard enough for me to get home, cant imagine trying to do that frequently! Thank god for Skype eh? :P

you literally need to like plan the whole day, and everything is soo expensive!! york is really pretty, i hope i can get some really nice pics of the city - my gap year is fuelling my love for photography. wish the equipment wasn't so expensive though! my dad has a lot of stuff so i'm lucky
yes epic commute but you don't have to change trains too much so it's lucky! skype is a god send, so much better than the telephone!
Name: Helen

Course: Law

Offer: Conditional AAA

Favourite Accommodation: Goodricke or Alcuin

Any other info: Really need advice on colleges - not sure whether to live on main campus or the campus where the Law department is located.. help!

York firmers please add me :smile:
Reply 397
75% sure i am firming York for V100 History
Visiting the History dept day this Wednesday

Which accom is going to have the best and most frequent parties?

That will consequently be the one i choose if i decide to firm York.
:wink:
Original post by rachstarr

Ah that makes more sense - wondered why you applied if you had lived there! I can imagine living there as a student is massively different though...it must be! :P Bit dangerous just going on league tables, i didnt overly research but just went for ones I thought Id like and knew a bit about. To be honest Im sure I'd have been fine anywhere as long as it had a decent course, friendly city and a library :wink: Haha Im sure it'll fly by....plus I just got made redundant at my job :redface: It was only temporary but still a bit annoying, going into full gap year mode for a bit i think... Travelling seems like its pretty much off the cards now, just sticking to the holiday! Hopefully you have the determination to stick with your job so you have the option! :smile:

Yeah i reckon its probs quite a lot different being an actual student. Yeah i agree, i would have been happy anywhere. My other option (after being rejected by edinburgh and st andrews) was birmingham, but after the open day i decided york was for me :smile: Oh no about your job! that sucks, but i think i may have to quit my job soon because we might be moving, so travelling is potentially of the cards for me anyway :frown: Though i have found this website called travelzoo.co.uk where they do super cheap holidays, so i may just go on a couple with some mates to alleviate my dissapointment in not going travelling!

haha that's a good quote about the nobel prize!! my fave one of those number things is "5. an ambidextrous individual who is always saying, "...on the other hand" " - HOWEVER is like my favourite word ever. but i don't even remember how to write an essay these days!! i can't imagine doing an accountancy degree, so dry ( i know a lot of people say that about econ) - but an accountancy career would be alright - i don't mind what i do i seem to get lost in stuff when it's hard and interesting!
haha at least work is in your routine, all i do is eat and sleep and quite a lot of both!! ah my laptop is a nightmare, my battery life is an hour - it's SUCH a pain and the laptop is huuuge and heavy

Urr i hate the whole weighing thing up, it made every a-level essay i wrote seem the same! It was like, define, make first point, evaluate,make second point, evaluate, conclusion. REPEAT like 1 million times. Hopefully at uni i can make my essays seem a bit different!
I haven't heard people calling econ dry, i get responses of 'you good at maths?' 'thats hard' and 'whats economics' when i tell people thats what im going to study. I think accountancy would be alright, but just a tad boring, just playing about on excel all day.
The problem with my work is it isnt in any routine, my hours are either 7.30am till 4pm, or 3.30pm till midnight. but its random as to what days i do what, and i dont get set weekends, so i have no routine and it makes it really hard to get up in the morning! My laptop is actually really nice, but my school gave them to us in 4th form (year 10) and so 4 years of schooltime abuse has led to the screen basically unable to stay up, the battery not charging, it failing to connect to the internet most of the time etc... i really need a new one before uni!
So torn between accommodation! James/Alcuin/Vanbrugh???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending