The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by laurawatson16
Vodka Revolution is technically a bar....however they try and turn it into a club on a Sunday night and a Thursday night (for Salsa)...and Tuesday night for York St Johns.

The places that seem to be most popular for clubs are:

Club Salvation - York Uni's official student nights are Tuesdays
Tokyo - York Uni's official student nights are Thursdays
Fibbers - York Uni's official student nights are Mondays....

What events are you thinking of organising? I've got a James College event organized on Sunday at Revs which should be really good.

I am not sure what type of event to do. I do not know what the York scene wants; it would be interesting to find out. I plan on getting a website up and running but that won’t be for a while, I want a proper student party. Not a half hearted effort; it will be a proper night out.
(edited 12 years ago)
University of York
York
Original post by Millz
Is Vodka Revolution a club or just a bar?

I am trying to find the most popular venue to make it easier when hosting my events. The Gallery's manager seems cool.

Could you please tell me some of the students’ favorites, so that I can call them over the weekend?

Thanks in advance.

Kinda inbetween really.

Vodka Revolution is technically a bar....however they try and turn it into a club on a Sunday night and a Thursday night (for Salsa)...and Tuesday night for York St Johns.

The places that seem to be most popular for clubs are:

Club Salvation - York Uni's official student nights are Tuesdays
Tokyo - York Uni's official student nights are Thursdays
Fibbers - York Uni's official student nights are Mondays....

What events are you thinking of organising? I've got a James College event organized on Sunday at Revs which should be really good.

You forgot Ziggys :sexface:
OH YES!! HAHA...... well you mean..................MANSION :P
I knew there was one I had forgotten!! Have you seen Mansion??
Original post by trollman
Kinda inbetween really.

You forgot Ziggys :sexface:

Hmmm you mean... MANSION :P Have you been there yet??

I knew there was one I had forgotten.
Hmmm you mean... MANSION :P Have you been there yet??

I knew there was one I had forgotten.

every wednesday :awesome:
:s-smilie: I've heard nothing but praise from people doing it. View the forum as similar to a hotel review site. There's probably thousands of people who visited a particular hotel, found it absolutely fine, and didn't need to comment on the standard of facilities, etc. However, there's always one or two vocal minorities who have a bad experience and therefore make a huge fuss - distorting the views of anyone who reads about it.
Reply 1186
Is there anybody here reading the social and political science degree?
What the? I don't know anybody doing PPE that thinks it's crap. I've found it a brilliant course, and by the looks of it, they've changed it to make it even better for new entrants. It's engaging, challenging and downright fun. The interdisciplinary modules are great, the teaching is, on the whole, superb, and there are so many ways that you can customise it to be whatever you want it to be. It's just fabulous, and everybody I know doing it thinks it's great, apart from a gripe with the first half of Microeconomics 2 - and they've changed the lecturer for that now anyway.

If you want more info about the course PM me.

PS The uni is pretty wonderful as well.
Hi guys,

Im a first year Law student, living in Goodricke College at York - anyone with any questions, give me a shout :smile:
I don't know of any PPEists that think their course is crap either, and Politics students are often fairly cynical by default.
Name: Rosie

Course: Politics w/ International Relations

Offer: Unconditional (AAB)

Favourite Accommodation: Changes constantly, Goodricke, Alcuin or Vanbrugh. I have quite a few friends already at Goodricke though and they adore it so probably there. No one really seems to have much to say about Alcuin except that's its the posh and international students college and Vanbrugh seems to have such a range of accommodation it confuses me...

Eeee can't wait!
Reply 1191
Coming to York in October to do Spanish and French with linguistics
Got the grades last year :biggrin:

College wise thinking probably Vanbrugh because i want to be self catered though not sure which accommodation...
Could you reference the posts you're referring to?

I think I've easily gone through 90% of the posts on this forum including the words 'York' and 'PPE' and have only ever come across one negative post. All the others posts have been quite positive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1193
I've finally decided to firm York.

Course: International Relations and Politics

Offer: Unconditional (A*A*A*)

Accommodation: Derwent or Vanbrugh (probably Derwent). Basically looking for the right combination of low price / open minded outgoing friendly people / good facilities / eagerness to go out.
Original post by Yawnfest
I've finally decided to firm York.

Course: International Relations and Politics

Offer: Unconditional (A*A*A*)

Accommodation: Derwent or Vanbrugh (probably Derwent). Basically looking for the right combination of low price / open minded outgoing friendly people / good facilities / eagerness to go out.

Impressed...but why not Oxbridge/LSE etc? Or maybe im devaluing how good York is, but most people I speak to don't seem to be impressed or even slightly more than nonchalant by me saying I'm going to York :/
Original post by alwatkins1991
Impressed...but why not Oxbridge/LSE etc? Or maybe im devaluing how good York is, but most people I speak to don't seem to be impressed or even slightly more than nonchalant by me saying I'm going to York :/

It's probably the area more than anything else; here in Stoke, if someone learns that I'm going to York they act really impressed. In fact, I'm one of two people from my course who have been offered a place at York, and apparantly it's very rare for anyone to be offered a place there- I don't think anyone in the entire college went to York last year.
I was even supposed to be interviewed so that I would appear on the college website! :eek:
Reply 1196
Random question time...
Does anyone know if there's a limit to the number of LFA classes you can take?
I asked a tutor on the open day but he thought I was asking how many foreign books I could study D:
Reply 1197
Original post by Gallabay
Hi guys,

Im a first year Law student, living in Goodricke College at York - anyone with any questions, give me a shout :smile:

Oooh yeah, is it really that much of a hassle going from Goodricke to main campus?
Also, someone told me it's all dusty/whatever because they're planting trees atm, is this true or are they fibbing? :smile:
Original post by Ellziii
Oooh yeah, is it really that much of a hassle going from Goodricke to main campus?
Also, someone told me it's all dusty/whatever because they're planting trees atm, is this true or are they fibbing? :smile:

Yeh, its not hassle getting to main campus, like a 10 minute walk or w/e. Theres even 2 free bus services running, if you're feeling lazy ;-)

Also, no, no dust. Not that i've noticed. And they've not been planting trees for quite some time now :P

anything else? :smile:
Reply 1199
I am waiting for their response about my application. :tongue: Although i have problem to match the Ielts requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending