The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by alwatkins1991

What I want to know is, why are good state schools located in affluent neighbourhoods? Do not all state schools recieve the same funding? I know there is a correlation there, I just don't know why :confused:

Yes, all state schools receive the same amount of funding per child except for schools in London, which receive more; also, if a school has a child with an SEN statement, they will receive a bigger budget for that child because of the extra adaptations/teachers needed to educate that child.

The reason that there is still a discrepancy in the standards of state schools is quite similar to the SEN statement thing. Generally speaking, children from more affluent areas arrive at state school already having been brought up in a safe, educational and stimulating environment. Their parents might read to them at night; they might have a secure, quiet place to do their homework in; their parents might be able to help them with their work when they're struggling. Thus, most of the funding which the school receives goes on 'normal' teaching and 'normal' resources. Children from more deprived areas generally arrive at school without that support: their parents might not be able to read or might not be able to provide that stimulating environment for them; homework is not encouraged and might even be discouraged. The school then has to effectively bring those children up as people - attempt to control their behaviour, attempt to teach them the basic vocabulary they don't hear at home, teach them normal social etiquette and discipline - before they can then begin to teach them what the more affluent kids have already learnt.

Whereas an SEN child comes with extra budget to help the school accommodate their extra requirements, children from deprived backgrounds generally don't, so the school is using their basic time and budget on what are actually extra requirements rather than teaching them.

(Not being generalistic here, I go to what would be considered a 'deprived' state school myself, I've seen this first-hand.)
(edited 12 years ago)
University of York
York
let's forget about the state/private school arguments and just embrace the York love!
Original post by trollman
let's forget about the state/private school arguments and just embrace the York love!

Agreed. Especially since I failed massively in this argument!

Agreed. *has been hiding from serious discussion*
Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
Agreed. *has been hiding from serious discussion*

Me too! I just can't be bothered, this argument seems to be brought up on every thread relating to university! I'm bored of it!
Me too! I just can't be bothered, this argument seems to be brought up on every thread relating to university! I'm bored of it!

Yeah, me too. Plus it's one of those topics about which I find it difficult to be reasonable and I'd probably have ended up telling you all my life story. :smile:

So let's just talk about how much we love York and what accommodation we're getting (but not how much it costs!) and ducks and things.
Yeah, me too. Plus it's one of those topics about which I find it difficult to be reasonable and I'd probably have ended up telling you all my life story. :smile:

So let's just talk about how much we love York and what accommodation we're getting (but not how much it costs!) and ducks and things.

Yeah exactly, most people are inherently bias due to the education they have received and find it hard to be rational (although some people have some compelling arguments).

Ducks are pretty scary atm, one hissed at me today, I think it thought I was attacking its ducklings or something, little scary tbh.

Hear! Hear!

I loooooove me some York
Yeah exactly, most people are inherently bias due to the education they have received and find it hard to be rational (although some people have some compelling arguments).

Ducks are pretty scary atm, one hissed at me today, I think it thought I was attacking its ducklings or something, little scary tbh.

Apparantly they get a bit...rapey. Do they attack people?
Apparantly they get a bit...rapey. Do they attack people?

Umm well I have never heard of them attacking people to be honest. I think they are the same as most geese/ducks/swans if you leave them alone they tend to leave you alone. It's just that there are so many of them across campus it can be a bit weird if like 20 of them are walking across a path infront of you or in the field that you are walking next to. I find it quite funny really.
A duck nearly flew into my head when I visited the campus. It made me squeal very loudly. :frown:
The ducks and geese don't bother me at all. The worst I've ever experienced has been a bit of hissing by mother geese in summer terms but you can't blame them for that when they have to look after their babies on a busy university campus! I actually find that the pigeons in town are worse because they fly so dangerously close to your head D:
Are they just around the lake or do they get everywhere? I don't think they will be bother me too much, better than pigeons!
Reply 1393
The Geese are somewhat difficult to ignore at night during mating season.
I think ducks are lovely :smile: Not sure about the geese yet, though. I don't like the noises they make!

The first time I visited York one of the things I noticed was that the town centre pigeons are a lot less scary than the ones where I live, which all seem to be evil with missing eyes and diseased-looking feet and swoop down for your food when you're still eating it. :biggrin:
I once had a staring contest with a goose. It ****, squawked with an air of satisfaction and wandered off.
Reply 1396
On an irrrelevant but bird related note, yesterday one pigeon chased another pigeon round my garden and eventually down the street. It was fairly amusing to watch, I can't work out why they waddle rather than flying wherever possible.
Original post by Ellziii
On an irrrelevant but bird related note, yesterday one pigeon chased another pigeon round my garden and eventually down the street. It was fairly amusing to watch, I can't work out why they waddle rather than flying wherever possible.

I know what you mean...on my drive to work there are always birds on the road, and rather than fly out the way they just take their time and waddle off, its really annoying!
Reply 1398
I know what you mean...on my drive to work there are always birds on the road, and rather than fly out the way they just take their time and waddle off, its really annoying!

Exactly! They're so lazy, surely the best thing about being a bird is flying? I mean worm meals are hardly a bonus...
Original post by Ellziii
Exactly! They're so lazy, surely the best thing about being a bird is flying? I mean worm meals are hardly a bonus...

I know! Though some may disagree.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXBx4B65Z8s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending