The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You also have to have at least 90% in your 3 most relevant A level subjects. Then yes, you are autopooled, unless you are applying for medicine, wherein this doesn't apply.
Reply 2
EDIT: ^ Nina got there before me.

*Christine*
I remember reading an article from TSR about Cambridge interviews and it says that people with 7A* or more at GCSE will get pooled if they don't get an offer. Is this true or am I making this up?

Thanks.

7A* and >90% UMS at best/most relevant 3 AS levels.

Undergrad Admissions Handbook 08/09 -> click on Appendix G's Info about the Winter Pool, scroll to Page 4, No. 5:

"All applicants in this round (except those for Medicine) who are not offered places by their preference Colleges but have attained both 7A*s or more at GCSE and 90% or more in each of their three best/most relevant (i.e. where the subject at a particular College has subject preferences at A/AS level) AS Level subjects MUST be pooled in category P if not in another category."
Reply 3
oh wow. Thank you! I am so happy. I now know that I have a second chance even if I don't get an offer!
Reply 4
*Christine*
oh wow. Thank you! I am so happy. I now know that I have a second chance even if I don't get an offer!

I think getting pooled for that reason is not good news - as people who are ranked above you in the pool will get first pick for offers.
Reply 5
I agree ebam.
If anything it means that you won't know straight away if you're rejected... ie. you know that in January you'll either find out you've got an offer, or you'll just have a few weeks more of nailbiting.
Reply 7
ebam_uk
I think getting pooled for that reason is not good news - as people who are ranked above you in the pool will get first pick for offers.

:ditto:

But I suppose it can be a good confidence booster for people in interview; they can maybe relax as they have a safety net.
this news makes me happy :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 9
I'm confused. What if the person performs really poorly at interview and writes a crap personal statement? Surely the interviewers would rethink the wisdom of automatically pooling the candidate at this point? :s-smilie:
Nope, they automatically pool. But they'll see from their interview notes not to bother wasting their time with them.
Craghyrax
I'm confused. What if the person performs really poorly at interview and writes a crap personal statement? Surely the interviewers would rethink the wisdom of automatically pooling the candidate at this point? :s-smilie:

I'd put it another way: anyone, however good they are, can perform poorly in an interview if they're having a bad day, and to some extent what constitutes a bad personal statement is subjective. Autopooling, therefore, ensures that such candidates with an excellent grades profile definitely get a chance for a different person to look at them with fresh eyes.

Or, to look at it yet another way, it's a safety net which helps guard against the potential unfairness/negligence/poor judgement of the tutors at the applicant's first choice college; even if the relevant DoS/admissions tutor takes an utterly irrational dislike to you and wants to reject you outright, s/he cannot.

DoS's and admissions tutors are not divine, they can sometimes get things completely wrong or even act unfairly or irrationally; hence the need for autopooling.
Why do people with SEVEN A* get automatically pooled?
Reply 13
Alexander
I'd put it another way: anyone, however good they are, can perform poorly in an interview if they're having a bad day, and to some extent what constitutes a bad personal statement is subjective. Autopooling, therefore, ensures that such candidates with an excellent grades profile definitely get a chance for a different person to look at them with fresh eyes.

Or, to look at it yet another way, it's a safety net which helps guard against the potential unfairness/negligence/poor judgement of the tutors at the applicant's first choice college; even if the relevant DoS/admissions tutor takes an utterly irrational dislike to you and wants to reject you outright, s/he cannot.

DoS's and admissions tutors are not divine, they can sometimes get things completely wrong or even act unfairly or irrationally; hence the need for autopooling.

I'm a big fan of the auto-pooling system for all the reasons you mention. I (fortunately) don't have any experience of it, but a couple of my friends were pooled (presumably auto-pooled based on their grades, but who knows) and they are now here.

If you've got a bad grade profile the interview is your chance to show them that you're better than that. If you've got an excellent academic profile, then - in my opinion - it's only fair that you can be given another chance if another college likes what they see on paper. If you clearly far exceed the minimum academic requirements, it's only fair another college gets to consider you. It's easy to have a bad day or crumble under the pressure, and it's also useful in that some subjects at some colleges might have really weak applicants that year in terms of their grades. Auto-pooling gives these subjects/colleges the chance to fish out some better people who might have just been unlucky or had a bad day.

People always quote the downside and say that colleges are much less likely to fish you out if you've been auto-pooled. Whilst this is true to some extent, I think some DoS's are more partial to re-interviewing auto-pooled applicants.
Reply 14
littleshambles
Why do people with SEVEN A* get automatically pooled?

The 7A*+/90%+ requirement is clearly what the admissions people believe constitutes academic excellence. If someone achieved such grades it's clear that - on paper - they are good enough to be here. If they need another chance to shine - in interview - then auto-pooling can provide that if colleges have not been completely impressed with their own pool of applicants for that year.
jcb914
The 7A*+/90%+ requirement is clearly what the admissions people believe constitutes academic excellence. If someone achieved such grades it's clear that - on paper - they are good enough to be here. If they need another chance to shine - in interview - then auto-pooling can provide that if colleges have not been completely impressed with their own pool of applicants for that year.

Seems a little arbitrary (obviously I'm just annoyed because I don't have 7 A* but my 3 best grades average is 96%).

So yeah, I'll shut up now.
Reply 16
littleshambles
Seems a little arbitrary (obviously I'm just annoyed because I don't have 7 A* but my 3 best grades average is 96%).

They have to set the level somewhere. The Cambridge average is said to be 6A*, so I guess they thought +1A* should constitute auto-pooling. Besides, if it was any lower way too many people would be auto-pooled which would render the system pretty useless.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry. You can still get pooled without the auto-pooling requirements, and if you do you'll likely be in a "better" category, thus more likely to get "fished" out.
jcb914
They have to set the level somewhere. The Cambridge average is said to be 6A*, so I guess they thought +1A* should constitute auto-pooling. Besides, if it was any lower way too many people would be auto-pooled which would render the system pretty useless.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry. You can still get pooled without the auto-pooling requirements, and if you do you'll likely be in a "better" category, thus more likely to get "fished" out.

True and yeah :smile:
Reply 18
littleshambles

Im in your situation too!
Really high UMS but dont meet the gcse requirement, sucks!
Reply 19
NesQuiK.
Im in your situation too!
Really high UMS but dont meet the gcse requirement, sucks!

Its not a bad thing, if you did get pooled, ie didnt get a straight offer from Cambridge 1st time round, it would mean you would be seen as a stronger student than those that "had to be pooled" due to the minimum criteria.

Latest

Trending

Trending