The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know this is slightly off topic, but do Cambridge publish statistics detailing successful candidates as a percentage of total applicants, whose average UMS over 3 AS subjects were for instance, 95%+ compared to those who got 90%-95% or 85%-90%? And a similar one for those who got, say, 7A*+, compared to those with 10A*+?

I know that Selwyn College released statistics like this last year, so I was wondering if this was the same for other colleges / Cambridge as a whole?
Reply 21
Economist1

I know that Selwyn College released statistics like this last year, so I was wondering if this was the same for other colleges / Cambridge as a whole?

Got a link for that?
NesQuiK.
Im in your situation too!
Really high UMS but dont meet the gcse requirement, sucks!

Then you'll have a fair chance of getting pooled anyway if you don't get an offer first time round. It's not only people with the 7+ A* / >90% UMS that get pooled (presumably :rolleyes:)
But those are the only people that get pooled on the basis of their grades. The point is that if they suck at interview there's no reason they would have a fair chance of getting pooled at all.
Reply 24
Hmm... so lets say i got 8A* at GCSE... and 90%+ on 2 of my relevant AS levels with my third most relevant AS level at 89%. (my fourth AS level is not so relevant but i got 91%). Does that mean i'll get auto-pooled? Or does auto-pooling undergo strict rules... with me having to get AT least more than 90% in my 3 most relevant AS levels.

Anyways, I'm just asking out of curiosity, I don't really care if i get auto-pooled or not. I don't intend on screwing up my interview.
Depends on what the other subject is probably. Realistically, none of us here can answer that question.
about the meeting the UMS requirement but not the GCSE, you cant complain. if you couldnt be bothered to be get the A*s its your fault really, lol. its evident from your AS UMS that you could have gotten more A*s.. unless you like cant speak english or something but can do science, in which case, the "arbitrary" 7 A*s filters you out for good reason..
SouthernFreerider
about the meeting the UMS requirement but not the GCSE, you cant complain. if you couldnt be bothered to be get the A*s its your fault really, lol. its evident from your AS UMS that you could have gotten more A*s.. unless you like cant speak english or something but can do science, in which case, the "arbitrary" 7 A*s filters you out for good reason..

Well, one of my "non A*s" was in a foundation paper you could only get a C on, another one was because I was ill and didn't sit the exam, and the A was in an extra subject I did out of school, one lesson a week for ten months.

So had I not taken that extra GCSE in my own time (the U was an extra one as well), I would only have sat a grand total of 7 GCSEs I could possibly get an A* in in the first place. Out of these I got **** grades in Design (compulsory) and Music (the sole choice you had, out of about 10 different subects). Hey, I suck at design and music. If I'd sat 12 GCSEs, and got **** grades in two, I would have come out with 10 A*, just like other people.

So yeah, it's not really my fault, more my crappy school's crappy policies. But hey GNVQs are worth 4 GCSEs so it looks better on the league tables right? I got the best GCSE results in my year, the year above and the year below me. Oh well.
Reply 28
littleshambles
I got the best GCSE results in my year, the year above and the year below me. Oh well.

They'll take your school's average GCSE scores into account when assessing your application.
jcb914
They'll take your school's average GCSE scores into account when assessing your application.

Yay!
Reply 30
Nina
Depends on what the other subject is probably. Realistically, none of us here can answer that question.

Ah right... would help if i listed what i'm doing.
I'm applying for Computer Sciences at Queen's College, Cambridge.
They're essential subjects are mathematics and the desirable subjects are further maths and physics.
So i got more than 90% in my maths a-level and computing AS-level course. But i got 89% in physics, however i got 91% in economics at AS.
So do you think they would auto-pool me or not because i'm 1% off in one of my AS levels UMS marks?
Nina
You also have to have at least 90% in your 3 most relevant A level subjects. Then yes, you are autopooled, unless you are applying for medicine, wherein this doesn't apply.

Does this not mean that a lot of people get pooled? You get the impression on here that a lot of applicants have that and more..... :smile:
Loads of people get pooled, but normally for reasons other than the College is forced to.
Reply 33
NoPurposeTortoise
Does this not mean that a lot of people get pooled? You get the impression on here that a lot of applicants have that and more..... :smile:

Human beings aren't like TSRians.
zef99
Human beings aren't like TSRians.

Good point :smile:
Reply 35
The whole 'three most relevant subjects' seems very vague though.. I chose quite a diverse range of A-Level subjects on purpose so that I was able to keep my options opened. I

'm applying for Land Economy and I did Econ, Maths, German, Physics and Music last year so which three do you think are the 'most relevant subjects' to my course? :s-smilie: I can't see German/Physics/Music being relevant AT ALL but I don't think it's fair for me to get penalized because of choosing a broad range of subjects o_O..
dorice525
The whole 'three most relevant subjects' seems very vague though.. I chose quite a diverse range of A-Level subjects on purpose so that I could keep my options opened. I'm applying for Land Economy and I did Econ, Maths, German, Physics and Music last year so which three do you think are the 'most relevant subjects' to my course? :s-smilie:

Econ, Maths, Physics?
Reply 37
Economist1
Econ, Maths, Physics?

Yes I think so too...
But Physics isn't exactly relevant D: Oh well I guess it has to be Physics when you come down to it though.. Thank goodness that's the case. :biggrin:

Thank you very mush! <--Just wanted to make sure
Reply 38
I think average for Selwyn was 8A* and about 91-92% ums for AS for successful candidates. That was because i clearly remember my teacher telling me how I was underaverage grade wise to be a successful candidate... he was very good at encouraging ppl! Thats why i Selwyn was cut off my choices for colleges pretty quickly!
hmm I got just under 90% average UMS for biology and applying for bionatsci :frown: I got an average of 89 :s-smilie: but I got 9A*s at GCSE....I got over 90 UMS on average for my other relevant subjects though...
do you think I'd get pooled if my interview was awful? :s-smilie::s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending