The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No, why would you? you don't have the requirements for autopooling and you had a rubbish interview (in this hypothetical situation), so why would they pool you?
fumblewomble
Well they've got to have a cut off point somewhere so I suspect that no you won't be auto-pooled. Whatever the limit, there will always be people who just missed. But this is only a guess and I might be wrong.

Nina
No, why would you? you don't have the requirements for autopooling and you had a rubbish interview (in this hypothetical situation), so why would they pool you?

ah ok :shy2: I thought maybe having more A*s might compensate for 1UMS point but I guess not
better make sure my interview isn't rubbish...
Reply 42
AnnaBelle142
ah ok :shy2: I thought maybe having more A*s might compensate for 1UMS point but I guess not
better make sure my interview isn't rubbish...

And you won't Anna:smile: It will be great!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 43
I'm kicking myself here...

I have 97% average but 6A*s...

Damn GCSE cut-off line....
How long does the whole pooling/fishing process take?
Reply 45
p.stick
I'm kicking myself here...

I have 97% average but 6A*s...

Damn GCSE cut-off line....

Chill out. If you're good enough you'll get pooled, with 97% you prbably are.

Edit: Adje - find out for certain by Jan 31st
Reply 46
zef99
Chill out. If you're good enough you'll get pooled, with 97% you prbably are.

Edit: Adje - find out for certain by Jan 31st

Nothing to do with this :p: But zef I love your signature! :biggrin:
pooling/fishing takes 2 weeks (if they want to reinterview you). But you dont necessarily find out until the end of January.
Just to clarify...you CAN get pooled with lower grades than 7A*s and 90% in your 3 most relevent AS levels right? If you do well at interview and they likey like you?
Yep :smile:

You can pooled for having a fantastic interview etc but they simply don't have enough room at the College. Personally I would prefer to get pooled for this reason, but obviously that's only my opinion. You do not find out the reason you were pooled.
Ok thanks guys ^ =)
Just wondering how much interview performance can compensate for weaker grades....!
tis true =) I'll just try my best :smile:
Reply 52
Are the references really that discriminating a factor? Surely they will all be praising the applicants to the skies.
Well of course. Remember that what referees don't say can be just as revealing as what they do. But again, remember it is only one part of the process. The criteria are probably complex and different people are looking for different things.
SouthernFreerider
about the meeting the UMS requirement but not the GCSE, you cant complain. if you couldnt be bothered to be get the A*s its your fault really, lol. its evident from your AS UMS that you could have gotten more A*s.. unless you like cant speak english or something but can do science, in which case, the "arbitrary" 7 A*s filters you out for good reason..

What a load of crap. I got a B in geography, probably cos my teacher was barely there, and when she was, she taught us very little. I had very few notes, the textbook was nothing but vague case studies. My other 2 A's were in Art and German, the former which I got 99.7% in (? Ridiculous - why didn't it round up) and the other, which quite frankly, i was predicted a D in, no matter how hard i tried, i was never good at German. But the subjects i worked hard in and was good at, I got A* in (maths, english, english lit, double science, business studies).

Also, I can't help but feel that, not necessarily Cambridge, but at unis which require a certain number of A* (e.g 8A* for econ at LSE), I feel it should be done on the proportion of A* to total grades. For example, some schools do up to 12-14 GCSEs. Some may get 8/13 A* for example which is unfair to assume they're a better student, since these grades may be made up of stats, media, etc. Whereas my school only did 9 GCSEs and the most traditional ones :frown:
Reply 55
Clements-

Also, I can't help but feel that, not necessarily Cambridge, but at unis which require a certain number of A* (e.g 8A* for econ at LSE), I feel it should be done on the proportion of A* to total grades. For example, some schools do up to 12-14 GCSEs. Some may get 8/13 A* for example which is unfair to assume they're a better student, since these grades may be made up of stats, media, etc. Whereas my school only did 9 GCSEs and the most traditional ones :frown:

I think oxford do this with medicine. To be called to interview the percentage of A*s you have corresponds to what you need to get on the bmat to get an interview. So with 8 A*s/10 subjects you might need to get 75% but with 6 A*s/6 subjects you might only need 65%. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
zef99
I think oxford do this with medicine. To be called to interview the percentage of A*s you have corresponds to what you need to get on the bmat to get an interview. So with 8 A*s/10 subjects you might need to get 75% but with 6 A*s/6 subjects you might only need 65%. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought it was the other way round so that GCSEs can compensate for relatively weaker BMAT scores.
Given this is the Cambridge forum are people likely to be reading this that will know the answer?
zef99

You're almost right. It's your BMAT percentile and the number of A*s you have that they take into account, i.e. the lower the number of A* grades you possess (as a percentage of your GCSEs taken), the higher the percentile you'll need to be in for the BMAT.

There's a table with the exact figures floating around somewhere.
Nina
I agree ebam.

I think for that reason, I am happier with having 90+ and over in nearly all my AS and A-levels and less than 7A* (although not by much), as I know if i get pooled, it won't be because of protocol.

Latest

Trending

Trending