The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Tyrotoxism
You're almost right. It's your BMAT percentile and the number of A*s you have that they take into account, i.e. the lower the number of A* grades you possess (as a percentage of your GCSEs taken), the higher the percentile you'll need to be in for the BMAT.

There's a table with the exact figures floating around somewhere.

That's what i had in my head. Just didn't express it properly. Cheers. :smile:
I attained over 90% in all as levels but only 6a*s at GCSE. This is very frustrating; I want to be included in the autopool!
hey could anyone please clarify this? apparently getting 70% A*s and 90% in your top 3 AS subjects means you get automatically pooled? is this true?
also what are the chances of an offer when you've been pooled (as a rough %)?
Isometrix
hey could anyone please clarify this? apparently getting 70% A*s and 90% in your top 3 AS subjects means you get automatically pooled? is this true?

This is true and was addressed in a very recent thread.
TheUnbeliever
This is true and was addressed in a very recent thread.

What if you got 90% and above in all your AS modules but only 6 a*s... Or are these definite, concrete requirements that all colleges adhere to? Damn Cambridge, please make SOME exceptions!
izoar
You mean economical mathematics or just maths?

Just maths, unless you've expressed an interest in Mathematical Economics beforehand.
celiaceliacelia
What if you got 90% and above in all your AS modules but only 6 a*s... Or are these definite, concrete requirements that all colleges adhere to? Damn Cambridge, please make SOME exceptions!

Being pooled because the College was forced to isn't good - your chances of being fished out would be extremely poor. Calm down.
Reply 67
Isometrix

Yeh for every course except medicine! (No kidding!)
Reply 68
celiaceliacelia

It is an inflexible requirement. The boundaries are there for a reason. If they wanted to accept applicants with 6 instead of 7 A* then that would be the rule instead.

Don't get so worried about it, though. It's really not the end of the world. Besides, it's arguably better to be pooled because the college liked you but didn't have space for you than because they had to as a matter of admissions policy.
jcb914
It is an inflexible requirement. The boundaries are there for a reason. If they wanted to accept applicants with 6 instead of 7 A* then that would be the rule instead.

Don't get so worried about it, though. It's really not the end of the world. Besides, it's arguably better to be pooled because the college liked you but didn't have space for you than because they had to as a matter of admissions policy.

I think I'm giving off a really bad impression: I'm really not particularly 'worried' about this, I'm just curious!
Reply 70
Isometrix

It's 7A*, not 70% A* (so if one took 20 GCSEs they still need 7A* and not 14A*) and three best or most relevant (random example would be a Maths applicant getting 82% in Physics while also having >90% in say Maths, F Maths and History, I imagine History would be overlooked and autopooling would be much less likely to occur). And yes, it's true.

About 1/4 (or was it 1/5) of poolees get fished out, though this also includes those who were pooled because the original college simply didn't have space and recommended them as opposed to grades only.
Reply 71
Craghyrax
I'm confused. What if the person performs really poorly at interview and writes a crap personal statement? Surely the interviewers would rethink the wisdom of automatically pooling the candidate at this point? :s-smilie:

no, ie. the auto bit -

its a system designed to make sure that grades count above everthing else and there is a 'benefit of the doubt' effect at the early stage ie. before a possible second inerview to confirm.
A question about Automatic Pooling. The Cambridge Admissions handbook designed for those making decisions quotes the following:

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/
5. All applicants in this round (except those for Medicine) who are not offered places by their preference
Colleges but have attained both 7A*s or more at GCSE and 90% or more in each of their three
best/most relevant (i.e. where the subject at a particular College has subject preferences at A/AS level)
AS Level subjects MUST be pooled in category P if not in another category.

This means if you reached this standard then you will be put in the "good on paper, but not so good at interview category".

I am a Law applicant and achieved 12 A* grades at GCSE and above 90% in three of my AS Level subjects, getting 87% in the other one. I am however a Post A-Level applicant and I only averaged over 90% in one of my subjects in the whole A-Level (AS and A2).

Does this mean that if I am not pooled then I have reason to complain, or do they take your average mark over whatever modules you have done (meaning in my case I would not automatically get pooled), regardless of whether they are A2 or AS?
Reply 73
There's probably also a line saying they can change those conditions/rules or whatever at any time, so you'd have no grounds for complaint.
Dynasty
There's probably also a line saying they can change those conditions/rules or whatever at any time, so you'd have no grounds for complaint.

It's a guide designed for tutors, not for applicants so I doubt this would be the case. I also couldn't find anything saying "if a special circumstance arises" etc. in relation to this appendix.
Reply 75
Agree. I mean, if they don't pool you (even though you meet the autopool-requirements) it means they don't want you. It's not like they're going to change their mind if you complain about not being pooled.
Pooled as P (autopooling) is NOT a good place to be so don't worry.
Most people in the pool sink. The minority that are fished out were probably pooled under catergories other than autopooling.
In any case your interview might have gone better than you thought. Good luck for January 3rd
Yeah I guess it's not...more I think about it then more it seems to me to be more of a "political pool" so that they don't have the media banding around scare stories to everybody. Just have to hope for an offer then!
But what if you have been pooled without interview, how can your application be judged then ?

Latest

Trending

Trending