The Student Room Group

LSE Msc Management/profile evaluation

Hi^^ I'm new here, I hope this is the right forum for my enquiry.

So. Long story short.

- I'm graduating in a few months with a degree in Economics from an Italian university (ranked 2nd nationally in Economics/Business among public universities, meaning it would be third if private unis, i.e. Bocconi, are taken in consideration; that's not saying much but... yeah), with what I believe is the equivalent of 1:1 degree.
- I took the GMAT in December and got a 740 (97th percentile).
- I'm probably spending the next year (September 2011-June 2012) in the UK, learning some English, seeing some things, doing stuff. At the moment I've no relevant work experience/internships.

What do you guys think are my realistic chances for admission to a LSE Management program (e.g. Management and Strategy, Management and Economics, International Management)? I would apply for the 2012/2013 academic year, but I need to know now whether I actually stand some chances... or if it's better to choose another path. Any help would be appreciated:smile:
Guaranteed to get an offer for the 2 year programme. Not sure about the other management degrees.
Reply 2
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
Guaranteed to get an offer for the 2 year programme. Not sure about the other management degrees.

Eh I'm actually more interested in the 12 month programs... Maybe it's worth mentioning that I took some managerial courses in my undergrad years (Organization, Corporate Finance, some strategy stuff).

Thanks for the input though, that's encouraging:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Issun
Hi^^ I'm new here, I hope this is the right forum for my enquiry.

So. Long story short.

- I'm graduating in a few months with a degree in Economics from an Italian university (ranked 2nd nationally in Economics/Business among public universities, meaning it would be third if private unis, i.e. Bocconi, are taken in consideration; that's not saying much but... yeah), with what I believe is the equivalent of 1:1 degree.
- I took the GMAT in December and got a 740 (97th percentile).
- I'm probably spending the next year (September 2011-June 2012) in the UK, learning some English, seeing some things, doing stuff. At the moment I've no relevant work experience/internships.

What do you guys think are my realistic chances for admission to a LSE Management program (e.g. Management and Strategy, Management and Economics, International Management)? I would apply for the 2012/2013 academic year, but I need to know now whether I actually stand some chances... or if it's better to choose another path. Any help would be appreciated:smile:

Do you have 110/110?
Reply 4
Original post by synvilla
Do you have 110/110?

Most probably, yeah. Still not sure though, I'm graduating in July. At worst, I might go as low as a 107 I think.
Reply 5
Original post by Issun
Most probably, yeah. Still not sure though, I'm graduating in July. At worst, I might go as low as a 107 I think.

The minimum entry requirement at LSE is 106 and in general they only want students who seems very likely to achieve a 110.

Both Oxford and KCL usually asks for a 108 as their conditions, while LSE can give out the 106 offer if they think that the students are very likely to score higher than that.
Reply 6
Original post by synvilla
The minimum entry requirement at LSE is 106 and in general they only want students who seems very likely to achieve a 110.

Both Oxford and KCL usually asks for a 108 as their conditions, while LSE can give out the 106 offer if they think that the students are very likely to score higher than that.

Yes I knew about the 106 minimum requirement. I'm not applying for next year so at the moment of the application (around December 2011/January 2012) I will know for sure my final grade... I'm pretty positive it will be 110.
Reply 7
Well, any other opinion?

Sorry if it seems I'm... opinion-begging xD but it's really.. kind of very important for me.
Reply 8
Nice GMAT score :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Vindobona
Nice GMAT score :smile:

That was the only thing I was already sure of:P But thanks:smile:

Anyway, does anyone have any idea about how LSE value work experience/internships/extracuricular activities when assessing one's application? For most programmes it's not even mentioned among the requirements, so I'm guessing it's not that relevant if, otherwise, the applicant has a strong profile? Am i guessing wrong?
Issun, your marks are okay, but for a programme like Management it's probably preferable to have some work/internship experience under your belt. Virtually every student admitted to management I know of have at least some significant experience. But you should give it a shot, your grades are more than adequate. I'm an Italian student, I got in with a 29/30 marks average and just one internship, though we're talking about Global Politics, an entirely different programme. I was also made a conditional offer, I must graduate with at least 106/110 which shouldn't be a problem. This said, I advise you to apply before you graduate when you're predicted a 110, so that your offer would be a 106-108. If you for any reason miss a 110, then getting in would prove really, REALLY difficult. My conditional offers were:

LSE: 106/110
KCL: 109/110
Oxford: 108/110

I tell you that if I graduated with anything less than 110 and only then I had applied, I don't think I would have been admitted. Strange eh? I can get in LSE with a 106/110 if made a conditional offer, but I would be turned down coldly if I applied with a 106/110 that has been already awarded. I don't think they want anything less than a 110 that has been already awarded, or a predicted one. My suggestion is, thus: be proactive and apply before you graduate!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Thanks for the insight, but I think it's too late for me to apply before graduation, I'm not even sure I could reach the neccessary level of English in time for the beggining of the course in September.
I started considering LSE only recently, just after receiving my GMAT score in December (which by the way I took primarily for admission to Bocconi, I wasn't even thinking about a Master's degree abroad at the time). Then I saw that I actually got a good score, so I thought "what the hell" and started looking around for other possibilities. That's why I now want to take my sweet time and plan things properly, I haven't really planned anything up to now:P

I think I'm just gonna try my best to actually get a 110 and see what I can do:smile:

Congratulations on your offers by the way, it must feel really great:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Issun
Thanks for the insight, but I think it's too late for me to apply before graduation, I'm not even sure I could reach the neccessary level of English in time for the beggining of the course in September.
I started considering LSE only recently, just after receiving my GMAT score in December (which by the way I took primarily for admission to Bocconi, I wasn't even thinking about a Master's degree abroad at the time). Then I saw that I actually got a good score, so I thought "what the hell" and started looking around for other possibilities. That's why I now want to take my sweet time and plan things properly, I haven't really planned anything up to now:P

I think I'm just gonna try my best to actually get a 110 and see what I can do:smile:

Congratulations on your offers by the way, it must feel really great:smile:

Hey issun

Just wanted to know if you got in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending