The Student Room Group

Protests in Libya

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by ijaz
yeh the un have been sitting back for 40 years and now think enough is enough, dont make me laugh.

oil prices are going up as well by the way.

The oil prices has very little to do with this. Its more of a general thing to do with the Middle East and the unrest in the other countries.

If the people do not want to fight for change then invading a country to oust a dictator will only backfire
Reply 221
Original post by Aj12
Something has to be done. We cannot just sit back and watch a civil war.

I had this attitude but then I realised that the superpowers, (not saying any names) are selfish- only caring for their interests first and foremost majority of the time.
Reply 222
Original post by Hamesh
I had this attitude but then I realised that the superpowers, (not saying any names) are selfish- only caring for their interests first and foremost- money most of the time.

Well from that angle Libya has shut off oil. If it was a bigger producer the US would be in there like a shot
Reply 223
Original post by Aj12
The oil prices has very little to do with this. Its more of a general thing to do with the Middle East and the unrest in the other countries.

If the people do not want to fight for change then invading a country to oust a dictator will only backfire

mate listen my point is basically that thge ,uk usa always interfere and make matters worse and this guy has been a dictator for ages, why didnt we do anything then and the un cant control israel that shows you there power.
Reply 224
Original post by Hamesh
I had this attitude but then I realised that the superpowers, (not saying any names) are selfish- only caring for their interests first and foremost majority of the time.

So true :smile:
& trying to make out that they're all caring and want to help the citizens :puke:
Original post by GwrxVurfer
False, I am not saying anything of the sort. Please retract your misleading claim.

The "international community" (whatever the hell that is) are free to condemn whoever they like. But they aren't free to call him a criminal unless he has actually broken a law. As he is in the nation of Libya, he is under Libyan jurisdiction. Therefore, to be a "criminal", he needs to have violated Libyan law - Do you understand that?

We have the same thing in Britain. Any citizen can "condemn" any other citizen for something, but they can't call them a criminal unless the person has actually broken a law. as that would be slander. To use my analogy of bankers again, I strongly condemn them getting large bonuses. In my opinion, people like Fred Goodwin don't have any morals. But this doesn't make them criminals, as they have not broken any laws of the nation in which they reside.

So if you and your "international community" want to condemn Gadaffi, by all means go ahead. But if you call him a "criminal", please at least backup the claim by quoting Libyan legislation, and how you feel Gadaffi is violating of it. That is of course assuming you base your claims on something, as opposed to running around calling people criminals just because they don't have morals ?

I never called him a criminal in the first place! Although he is certainly breaking international law by indiscriminately shooting protestors against his regime.
Reply 226
Original post by Aj12
Well from that angle Libya has shut off oil.

Just waiting for how it plans it probably- like everyone else.
If it was a bigger producer the US would be in there like a shot

Mmmm, the US is already there by signing contracts with the Libyan govt. So long as this relationship wasn't compromised, its head would turn the other way.

My point is if peace didn't just cease to exist but just at prioritising corporate interests through treaties & contracts, undeniably, a more constructive result would have been achieved.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 227
Original post by Aj12
Apparently he does have some stocks of chemical weapons that were meant to be destroyed but never were. Part of an agreement he made with Blair.

read this from the bbc and guardian have you?
Reply 228
It was the same in Egypt, we went into Iraq under the lie that Saddam possessed WMD's, when the truth came out they relied on the argument of ousting a horrible dictator and liberating the people of Iraq from oppression.

At the same time, and for the past 40 years, our Governments have been supporting Dictatorships in Egypt and Libya through the supply of weapons etc. The figure for America alone was 1 Billion per year into Egypt. I've just been watching Sky News, and a guy in rags who looked deprived of two weeks sleep summed our Governments up in one word "hypocrites".

I hope this revolution moves into Europe. I'm sure we'll have the rubber bullets and tear gas out here as well before the years end.
Reply 229
Original post by ijaz
read this from the bbc and guardian have you?

I don't know of the authenticity of it, possibly just more speculation, anyway found this on Al-Jazeerah

8:45pm Randa Fahmy Hudome, the former US Associate Deputy Secretary of Energy, tells Al Jazeera that Obama is being "characteristically quiet' on Libya.

She says Western countries have little leverage on Libya, given years of cold relations.

"We have to look at the history about what our relationship has been with Libya," she said.

The Libyan elite, she notes, has done well since their country came in from the cold, after Gaddafi agreed to give up his WMD in 2003 in a deal with the Bush Administration. In return, Libya was removed from the "terrorist" list and international sanctions were lifted.

He managed to hold on to some chemical weapons, she comments.

But does Gaddafi care about sanction threats, given his pledge to fight to the bitter end?

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/africa/2011/02/23/live-blog-libya-feb-24

When it comes to the American's I don't really believe in what they have to say as most of it is usually well fabricated rumours and gibberish.
Reply 230
Nah, I don't think that he's gonna stand down
Reply 231
Original post by amsie/

i think they are gonna do same to him as they did to saddam
Reply 232
Original post by amsie/

To be honest, unlike in Egypt the longer he stays in the better. There isn't anything legitimate to replace him, so maybe the U.N might have to move in for a short while in order to help replace the Goverment/regime when it eventually falls - although you could argue that it already has.
Reply 233
Original post by ijaz
i think they are gonna do same to him as they did to saddam

:eek:
I hope to God they're not!

Original post by Get Real
To be honest, unlike in Egypt the longer he stays in the better. There isn't anything legitimate to replace him, so maybe the U.N might have to move in for a short while in order to help replace the Goverment/regime when it eventually falls - although you could argue that it already has.

I don't think he should stand down :frown:
Agreed, but the un mess up everywhere they go.
Reply 234
Original post by amsie/
:eek:
I hope to God they're not!

I don't think he should stand down :frown:
Agreed, but the un mess up everywhere they go.

Why, do you like him?
Reply 235

Various tribal, protester and military leaders/committees are discussing the issue already.
The sooner Gaddafi goes or is disposed of the sooner the violence and destruction will end.

After that the various regional/etc authorities can come to some form of agreement/plan.
Reply 236
Why, do you like him?

so you think he should be hung and should and how will it look if u.n peacekeepers are in the countries of a "dicator" so the angels that are the uk and us government cans step in.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 237
Why, do you like him?

Not in the slightest :colonhash:
I just don't think that the un coming in and taking over is going to make things better.
I reckon he should stand down in a while, not just be overthrown straight away to leave the country in a mess.
Original post by GwrxVurfer
Obviously national laws always overrule any international law, because nations (and their citizens) have a right to decide their own laws, and not be forced to obey foreign organisations such as the UN.

Your post made me curious, could you perhaps answer the following?

1. Are the UN justified in not allowing nations and their citizens to make their own laws, and instead demanding that they must obey UN "international law"?

2. What happens if TWO organisations made "international laws" that conflicted with each other. Which (if any) would you want people to obey?

1. no i wouldn't say this is right, but when Libya are one of forty seven nations on the UN's top human rights body, they must surely be held to account for human rights abuse to such a huge extent. Their position on this board must represent a willingness to opt into international laws over human rights.

2. this would be the job of the Libyan legal team to interpret which one holds more relevance to this case. i suppose if they were unable to distinguish between the two, they could always seek clarification from the two organisations.
Reply 239

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at the African singer hired by Gaddafi to preform infront of him and Mubarak ahahahahaha, (watch from 0:37)

this guy can definitely claim insanity if he ever gets taken to court

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending