The Student Room Group

Which languages can you speak?

I was sitting at dinner the other day surrounded by people talking myriad languages ( none of which i can understand) and realised that a comfortable majority of those staying in my hall are, at the very least, bi-lingual and i know of several who can speak 3-4 or more languages fluently. We have a 'which languages would you like to learn?' thread so heres the 'Which languages can you speak?' thread. How many languages are you fluent in and what are they? Did you learn them at home/at school etc?

Scroll to see replies

Fluent in english :p:
Teeny weeny bit of turkish - even though i am turkish :redface:
little bit of french
and can only read arabic :p:
Reply 2
English, Chinese and French. If only i was fluent in them all :frown:
Reply 3
The Ninja
English, Chinese and French. If only i was fluent in them all :frown:

Hearing my continental friends moan about the fact that had to study 8 years of Latin and learn French/German/English/Spanish etc in school really makes me resent our school system and how utterly **** it is in terms of languages. I dearly wish id been taught languages(as well as English) when i was young enough to pick em up easy.
Reply 4
I tried learning Latin... i failed quite badly. You're right though, if only someone had made me study it when i was younger i could have been great, i could have been a contender...
Reply 5
Fluent in English, and with varying degrees of fluency in French, German and Elvish.
fluent in english and nearly fluent in french
Reply 7
I speak fluent English, pretty competent French and a smattering of German and Italian. I have also dabbled with a bit of Turkish and Hebrew. I just find languages and other cultures very interesting. I work in a very multi-cultural environment too.
Reply 8
Evenstar
I speak fluent English, pretty competent French and a smattering of German and Italian. I have also dabbled with a bit of Turkish and Hebrew. I just find languages and other cultures very interesting. I work in a very multi-cultural environment too.

Why then, don't you speak Elvish!?!!?
I mean you've even got an Elvish phrase in your sig, in Quenya that would be 'Elen sila lumenn'omentielvo'! Come on!!!! Somebody!
Reply 9
Poica
I mean you've even got an Elvish phrase in your sig, in Quenya that would be 'Elen sila lumenn'omentielvo'! Come on!!!! Somebody!
Whatever turns you on, dearie :p:
Reply 10
Poica

How does one learn Elvish?
Reply 11
Evenstar
How does one learn Elvish?

Online and using pronunciation guides, but it's possible!
Reply 12
Poica
Online and using pronunciation guides, but it's possible!

How diod you learn it? Is there a particular route you would recommend?
I'm fluent in English and German (certainly spoken German) and relatively fluent in French. After a few months in Paris over the summer my French should hopefully be fluent.
English > French > German
html php as as2
English (brilliantly :biggrin:), French (not that good almost failed at AS) and very basic Spanish!!
PHP, Visual Basic, English.
Fluent in English hehe and I'm pretty good at French and German and will be fluent in Spanish and Arabic in a few years!
im fluent in polish and english. right now im learning greek, spanish, and french.
Reply 19
english, chinese and basic spanish(still learning)

Latest

Trending

Trending