Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Whew, i feel really cool (not). I speak English (a little har har).
    Ok and a wee bit of French. And I can say insults in Spanish and German but that about all :-)
    Wish I was fluent in German - it such a cool language. i mean, you say 'i love you' in German and it sounds like you swearing

(Original post by lesser weevil)
    Whew, i feel really cool (not). I speak English (a little har har).
    Ok and a wee bit of French. And I can say insults in Spanish and German but that about all :-)
    Wish I was fluent in German - it such a cool language. i mean, you say 'i love you' in German and it sounds like you swearing
    What is i love you in German :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ich liebe dich, which if you say it with a really gutteral accent, is pretty cool... in a kind of angry way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR_Princess)
    What is i love you in German :p:
    That would be "Ich liebe dich"...screw up the pronunciation of it and yes, it does sound rather rude

ReputationRep:
    seems to me like 2 posts saying the same thing... but that only what it seems like to me...

ReputationRep:
    Fluent in English and Punjabi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesser weevil)
    seems to me like 2 posts saying the same thing... but that only what it seems like to me...
    Your reply wasn't there whenever I started typing up my reply

ReputationRep:
    Fluent in English and can speak about 4 words in welsh (thats a GCSE's worth apparently)

ReputationRep:
    English, GCSE French, and learning Chinese (slowly).

ReputationRep:
    I speak Cantonese and English

Lol reminds me of how international my friends are at uni. Almost everyone speak at least 2 languages - I mean, in our group photo, it goes: English, American, Indian, Me (Chinese), Bolivian, German, half-Brazilian-English, English.

ReputationRep:
    Can speak fluently in English, quite fluently in French, quite fluently in German- though nowhere near enough that I can in French, a few welsh words, a few Spanish words, a few Greek words (mainly for Physics and Maths) and some Russian ( you have tATu to thank for that!)

ReputationRep:
    English obviously, French German and Turkish.

ReputationRep:
    My native language is Ukrainian, also fluent Russian, English, German, understand Polish.

ReputationRep:
    :p: :p:
    everyone likes it in our school... well... now... by everyone, i mean the teachers... coz it sucks really!!!
    :tsr: (no offence to the patriotics of the country)...CYMRU AM BYTH!!! :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    na, rydw in meddol bod mean cymru yn ddiflas.

ReputationRep:
    Slovak, Czech, English, German, Russian and I also understand Polish...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    na, rydw in meddol bod mean cymru yn ddiflas.
    Ok diar... dda iawn chi i bod yn honest. oes yna rhywyn yn gelli dueud ysgytlaeth frwchneth a dued beth mae on meddwl er blaw am andrewsjoseph... :tsr: :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    errr - yep....as I said before - I have a gcse in welsh, which means I cant understand the majority of what your saying.
    The location does make that obvious though.

ReputationRep:
    This kind of thread begs the questions: how do we define 'fluent'? Is discussing with your mum what's for dinner in her language the same as being able to write essays in English? All very interesting...

To add my bit, I speak English natively, studying German and Modern Greek at uni, did French A-level, some basic Spanish and and am learning Mandarin at the min.

ReputationRep:
    I say fluency is where you can speak confidently and without jolting, with a good accent and with being able to go through the average day without not knowing what a certain word means (assuming it's not something vastly technical you probably wouldn't understand in your native tongue) :rolleyes:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.