The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
lesser weevil
Whew, i feel really cool (not). I speak English (a little har har).
Ok and a wee bit of French. And I can say insults in Spanish and German but that about all :-)
Wish I was fluent in German - it such a cool language. i mean, you say 'i love you' in German and it sounds like you swearing :biggrin:

What is i love you in German :p:
Ich liebe dich, which if you say it with a really gutteral accent, is pretty cool... :smile: in a kind of angry way...
Reply 102
TSR_Princess
What is i love you in German :p:
That would be "Ich liebe dich"...screw up the pronunciation of it and yes, it does sound rather rude :biggrin:
seems to me like 2 posts saying the same thing... but that only what it seems like to me...
Reply 104
Fluent in English and Punjabi.
Reply 105
lesser weevil
seems to me like 2 posts saying the same thing... but that only what it seems like to me...
Your reply wasn't there whenever I started typing up my reply :redface:
Reply 106
Fluent in English and can speak about 4 words in welsh (thats a GCSE's worth apparently)
English, GCSE French, and learning Chinese (slowly).
Reply 108
I speak Cantonese and English :smile:

Lol reminds me of how international my friends are at uni. Almost everyone speak at least 2 languages - I mean, in our group photo, it goes: English, American, Indian, Me (Chinese), Bolivian, German, half-Brazilian-English, English.
Can speak fluently in English, quite fluently in French, quite fluently in German- though nowhere near enough that I can in French, a few welsh words, a few Spanish words, a few Greek words (mainly for Physics and Maths) and some Russian ( you have tATu to thank for that!) :biggrin:
Reply 110
English obviously, French German and Turkish.
Reply 111
My native language is Ukrainian, also fluent Russian, English, German, understand Polish.
:p: :p: :redface:
everyone likes it in our school... well... now... by everyone, i mean the teachers... coz it sucks really!!!
:biggrin: :tsr: (no offence to the patriotics of the country)...CYMRU AM BYTH!!! :tsr:
Reply 113
na, rydw in meddol bod mean cymru yn ddiflas.
Reply 114
Slovak, Czech, English, German, Russian and I also understand Polish...
bikerx23
na, rydw in meddol bod mean cymru yn ddiflas.

Ok diar... dda iawn chi i bod yn honest. oes yna rhywyn yn gelli dueud ysgytlaeth frwchneth a dued beth mae on meddwl er blaw am andrewsjoseph... :tsr: :tsr:
Reply 116
errr - yep....as I said before - I have a gcse in welsh, which means I cant understand the majority of what your saying.
The location does make that obvious though.
This kind of thread begs the questions: how do we define 'fluent'? :biggrin: Is discussing with your mum what's for dinner in her language the same as being able to write essays in English? All very interesting...

To add my bit, I speak English natively, studying German and Modern Greek at uni, did French A-level, some basic Spanish and and am learning Mandarin at the min.
I say fluency is where you can speak confidently and without jolting, with a good accent and with being able to go through the average day without not knowing what a certain word means (assuming it's not something vastly technical you probably wouldn't understand in your native tongue) :rolleyes:
gringalet
This kind of thread begs the questions: how do we define 'fluent'? :biggrin: Is discussing with your mum what's for dinner in her language the same as being able to write essays in English? All very interesting...

To add my bit, I speak English natively, studying German and Modern Greek at uni, did French A-level, some basic Spanish and and am learning Mandarin at the min.

That's a good point actually. My dad works as a senior lecturer/academic/scientist (not quite sure, actually). His English is excellent when writing grants and papers, but give him a contemporary fiction book and he has to look up every other word in the dictionary. :wink: On the other hand, my vocabulary is much more centred around colloquial English. But I think we can both call ourselves fluent...

At the end of the day, I suppose it's due to what you want out of that language - to use it for everyday purposes (e.g. to live there), I suppose the colloquial lexicon is more useful... but if you want to be writing essays and papers in that langauge, a more formal vocab is needed.

Latest

Trending

Trending