The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by NickBlack
Still waiting on a Politics offer here; though I'm just about a mature applicant and have my grades so maybe that's adding some consideration time.

I also have an offer from Bristol. I noticed that quite a few of you also applied there. Any thoughts on choosing between the two for Politics aside from getting a BSc at one and a BA at the other?

I also have an offer from Bristol for Politics. I think Warwick is better for it though, despite the fact they offer lower grades. In terms of the BA/BSc question, I emailed Bristol about this and they said it was just an administrative thing due to all Social Sciences being BSc at Bristol, and that this would not affect you if you wanted to do an MA elsewhere. In terms of the league tables:
Complete: Warwick - Pol 9th, Ovr 8th; Bristol - Pol 13th, Ovr 11th
Guardian: Warwick - Pol 6th, Ovr 6th; Bristol - Pol 8th, Ovr 25th
Times: Warwick - Pol 7th, Ovr 8th; Bristol - Pol 19th, Ovr 13th
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 821
Applied 2 days ago :smile: History student, current gap year-er ... time to play the waiting game
Reply 822
Any Law offers for International students?
Reply 823
I just got rejected for English Lit.
Was not expecting that.
Reply 824
Just firmed Warwick for Politics :smile: Leicester as Insurance
Reply 825
Original post by lp94
I just got rejected for English Lit.
Was not expecting that.

Me either :frown: What were your grades like? I at least wanted an interview.

Though for pyschology they've apparently been sending out the wrong decisions... One can only hope.
Reply 826
Yup, just got rejected for english lit. Pretty disappointed, two offers and two rejections so far, just waiting on Durham which I haven't got much hope for now.
Reply 827
Original post by hideousnight
Yup, just got rejected for english lit. Pretty disappointed, two offers and two rejections so far, just waiting on Durham which I haven't got much hope for now.

Same here on the Durham front, and I've only got two offers too. I'm really hoping it's an administrative error!
Reply 828
Anyone here applied for PAIS??
Reply 829
Original post by lozvegas

Original post by lozvegas
Me either :frown: What were your grades like? I at least wanted an interview.

Though for pyschology they've apparently been sending out the wrong decisions... One can only hope.

4A*s and 6As at GCSE (admittedly not great but I made no effort back then), 4As at AS level and predicted 3A*s and 1A at A level.

I'm guessing it was my GCSEs or my personal statement which they didn't like. Although Cambridge didn't seem to have a problem with them.

I've been rejected by both Cambridge and Warwick, and had my birthday, within the same week. How delightful.

Warwick haven't actually emailed me yet, I only know through Track. Is this the case with you? Are they a little slow or just rude? I intend to email them asking why I was unsuccessful.
Original post by lp94
4A*s and 6As at GCSE (admittedly not great but I made no effort back then), 4As at AS level and predicted 3A*s and 1A at A level.

I'm guessing it was my GCSEs or my personal statement which they didn't like. Although Cambridge didn't seem to have a problem with them.

I've been rejected by both Cambridge and Warwick, and had my birthday, within the same week. How delightful.

Warwick haven't actually emailed me yet, I only know through Track. Is this the case with you? Are they a little slow or just rude? I intend to email them asking why I was unsuccessful.

:lolwat: Warwick rejected you with those? That's quite silly. What was your PS like?
Reply 831
Original post by Mr Inquisitive

:lolwat: Warwick rejected you with those? That's quite silly. What was your PS like?

Do you think so? I think most applicants would have had similar, if not better, grades.
In my PS I talked about Shakespeare a bit and Classical literature, and then much of the rest was focused on 20th century stuff: the Beats, Fitzgerald and E. E. Cummings. Maybe they didn't like the fact that I showed no interest in the clichéd classics which everybody mentions: Austen, Eliot, Dickens etc.
Original post by lp94
Do you think so? I think most applicants would have had similar, if not better, grades.
In my PS I talked about Shakespeare a bit and Classical literature, and then much of the rest was focused on 20th century stuff: the Beats, Fitzgerald and E. E. Cummings. Maybe they didn't like the fact that I showed no interest in the clichéd classics which everybody mentions: Austen, Eliot, Dickens etc.

Whilst that may remain true, not even an interview? Surely your academics warrant that (well, by the looks of it they do!) What were your subjects?
Hahah, if that's what they were implicitly searching for in a PS, you may not want to go there after all. :wink:
Reply 833

Whilst that may remain true, not even an interview? Surely your academics warrant that (well, by the looks of it they do!) What were your subjects?
Hahah, if that's what they were implicitly searching for in a PS, you may not want to go there after all. :wink:

Admittedly I was surprised - I was expecting an interview, at least.
English Lit, Classics, English Language and Psychology.
Haha, I guess. I didn't really want to go there, but I would have liked to have had the option as I've been rejected by Cambridge and haven't heard from UCL, my other top two choices.
Original post by lp94
Admittedly I was surprised - I was expecting an interview, at least.
English Lit, Classics, English Language and Psychology.
Haha, I guess. I didn't really want to go there, but I would have liked to have had the option as I've been rejected by Cambridge and haven't heard from UCL, my other top two choices.

Latter two A-Levels are 'soft' which may have been a contributing factor. English Language a tad less so, as it's related to the degree choice, but still not ideal. History and a language/mathematics/a science/a stronger social science (like Economics) would've helped more.

Ah well, good luck with UCL!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 835

Latter two A-Levels are 'soft' which may have been a contributing factor. English Language a tad less so, as it's related to the degree choice, but still not ideal. History and a language/mathematics/a science/a stronger social science (like Economics) would've helped more.

Ah well, good luck with UCL!

It is possible, I suppose, although, like I said, an interview would have allowed me to show how relevant those subjects are to my chosen course. They were strong enough to warrant an interview at Cambridge.
I've just fired off an email to the Warwick admissions department requesting feedback. Shall be posting their response on here as soon as I receive it :smile:

And thank you. Good luck to you, with wherever you have applied!
Original post by lp94
It is possible, I suppose, although, like I said, an interview would have allowed me to show how relevant those subjects are to my chosen course. They were strong enough to warrant an interview at Cambridge.
I've just fired off an email to the Warwick admissions department requesting feedback. Shall be posting their response on here as soon as I receive it :smile:

Cambridge do interview an extremely high amount of candidates relative to other places, like Oxford (not entirely sure about relative to Warwick, though) - plus Camb use UMS scores, whereas I don't believe Warwick do. High UMS in bad subject = slightly mitigating.

Let me know what the response is if you don't mind - it would be interesting to hear. :biggrin:
Reply 837
Original post by lp94

I hope there's been a monumental cock up because SO many Oxbridge applicants have been rejected, and they messed up the Psychology offers last week (sending out rejections instead of offers);

Nope, only Track here too. I can't believe I didnt even get a blooming interview when I did for Oxford! I have already sent them an email.
Reply 838
Original post by lp94

RE: "Soft subjects" - Warwick told me one in a combination of 3 was okay.
I am absolutely terrified about my application. I applied Pre-october deadline (oxford post interview rejection) but I've applied to do Economics, politics, international studies, my personal statement is basically history, then economics, because i applied elsewhere to do history/econ. My grades are decent but i am dreading whether ill be rejected on my PS.
I applied to bristol for straight history and got in, but they might have accepted econ as a random hobby, whereas i am scared i haven't shown enough commitment to the course :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest