The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

smilee172
we've had OSCEs at our uni for the last three years, maybe you just have something similar under a different name?!

yeah they were called SCE's, but now OSCE's..why..i dont know
God my mental health placement is so boring It's a day assesment hospital and even though the clients who stay the day/staff are nice you just stand around doing nowt for the majority of it. =\ 9-430.
my mh placement was like that too enchante...i think i liked it purely because there was nothing to do! lol

Ugh i hate CFP...im so glad im only going to be doing branch placements from now on!!
Haha I like to keep going personally. :p: I moan when i'm on the wards but at least the time seems to fly...welll....sometimes...
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh OSCE tommorow. *runs around in mad panic*

must remember allergies!!
I completly messed up my OCSE with the stupidist mistake ever.
I gave the wrong medication. =\
I was supposed to give 250mg of Amoxcillin Suspension.
But I picked up the tablet bottle of Amoxcillin instead. I swear I was having some mental brain block the assesor was like, is there anything you want to check I was like nope.:smile:
So she had to stop me saying it was wrong medication and to move onto the questions.:frown:
Everything was fine up to that silly mistake. I was so annoyed afterwards.

The easiest exam you can get and i'm like the only person who can mess up. :rolleyes:
Enchanté
I completly messed up my OCSE with the stupidist mistake ever.
I gave the wrong medication. =\
I was supposed to give 250mg of Amoxcillin Suspension.
But I picked up the tablet bottle of Amoxcillin instead. I swear I was having some mental brain block the assesor was like, is there anything you want to check I was like nope.:smile:
So she had to stop me saying it was wrong medication and to move onto the questions.:frown:
Everything was fine up to that silly mistake. I was so annoyed afterwards.

The easiest exam you can get and i'm like the only person who can mess up. :rolleyes:

ahhh dw about it, i've been there too..my OSCE meant i had a mental block (ffs 7 resps = bad!!!)

as long as you know what you did wrong!
I've got swine flu :emo:

Not good, a week off uni?! I only feel like i have the sniffles!!!! I need to wait till im free of symptoms, so im gonna be extra good now till monday! lol

ugh...this is gay :frown:
Subcutaneous

Not good, a week off uni?! I only feel like i have the sniffles!!!! I need to wait till im free of symptoms, so im gonna be extra good now till monday! lol

:hugs:

you'll be ok-just focus on getting better :smile:
Subcutaneous

sorry to hear that Subcutaneous hope you get better soon.:yep:
LADIES

Ive found the BEST show on nursing, from the US but is so funny and surprisingly realistic lol (ie enthusiastic student nurse lol)

Its called nurse jackie, if you're familiar with Tv shack (google) and type in nurse jackie, you'll see it, its SO good!!!
i want to crawl into a hole and die :frown: so much work :frown:
Well that's just great I failed my practicial medication thing again. :rolleyes: Which now means it has to go to review. Have to fill in a stupid form.
It's really annoyed me what the examiner has put though.

She put I didn't check the prescription chart throughly when I did.
She said I didn't check the date of birth (which I actually didn't) But I did check the wristband unit number with the presciption chart I actually held it her risk as I was checking. :rolleyes: I did check it but didn't verbally say it as I presumed it'd be alright to say oh this is her unit number because obviously her date of birth would have actually mattered if there were two different unit numbers

I also got told I didn't say she had no allergies or check when I did! :eek:and I did verbally say she didn't have any allergies on the chart then check.

Argh it's so annoying because when I was in my thrid module before I passed first time.

But any on my form would I tick Procedural irregularity in the conduct of assesment and write these down?
Because I don't have any extenuating circumstances. :s:

Would you guys think that's a good basis, well it's not uber strong but I did know that I done those things which they said I didn't and failed me on.
Enchanté
Well that's just great I failed my practicial medication thing again. :rolleyes: Which now means it has to go to review. Have to fill in a stupid form.
It's really annoyed me what the examiner has put though.

She put I didn't check the prescription chart throughly when I did.
She said I didn't check the date of birth (which I actually didn't) But I did check the wristband unit number with the presciption chart I actually held it her risk as I was checking. :rolleyes: I did check it but didn't verbally say it as I presumed it'd be alright to say oh this is her unit number because obviously her date of birth would have actually mattered if there were two different unit numbers

I also got told I didn't say she had no allergies or check when I did! :eek:and I did verbally say she didn't have any allergies on the chart then check.

Argh it's so annoying because when I was in my thrid module before I passed first time.

But any on my form would I tick Procedural irregularity in the conduct of assesment and write these down?
Because I don't have any extenuating circumstances. :s:

Would you guys think that's a good basis, well it's not uber strong but I did know that I done those things which they said I didn't and failed me on.

Unfortunately it is her words against yours..:mad: Is this your second retake, how many do you get?

Just stick to what you know, and stick by it..this is why i HATE osce's, they're so subjective, for example one examiner would mark me down for not asking the patient to state verbally..where as the other wouldn't (Incident that happened at uni)

im so lucky i dont get the drug admin osce at uni! We just had it asessed in a lecture, and again on pratice..phew!
We get two. And have to fill a form in to be reviewed for a 3rd attmept... I know it's her word against mine but still...and it's annoying because you have no idea what the other examiner (patient ssaid) On the plus side. (well it's not really a plus side 16 other people failed) I'd be a bit more =\ if I was the only one.

What i've come up with at the moment to put down this is rought by the way just a few notes like...

On the date of birth. - I checked the unit number twice against the prescription chart and did verbally report it both times. I was unaware that the date of birth also needed to be checked verbally from the patient whilst being checked with the prescription chart. As I had already checked this before begining the main checks of the prescription chart and after before I gave the medication.

Allergies- This was verbally reported to the marking examiner. Through communicating with the patient and checking verbally that they did not have any allergies. The allergies box was looked at on the prerscription chart but was not verbally reported that the patient had none. This was because during practice of the medication procedure, in the clinical skill labs during practice I wasn't corrected in being told it was wrong just using this one method. I did believe we could check allergies either by saying from the prescription chart and not the client and vice versa. I wasn't aware both patient and prescription chart had to be used for this. Only one to lead to whther the patient had allergies or not. Hence only asking the patient.

I think they're pretty much resonable explanations to be honest. I mean i'm not saying that the examiner who is marking was wrong obviously but can anyone see where i'm coming from saying those two things about those two particular mistakes? (sorry if they don't make much sense I can't be bothered to check for typos and stuff)
Enchanté
We get two. And have to fill a form in to be reviewed for a 3rd attmept... I know it's her word against mine but still...and it's annoying because you have no idea what the other examiner (patient ssaid) On the plus side. (well it's not really a plus side 16 other people failed) I'd be a bit more =\ if I was the only one.

What i've come up with at the moment to put down this is rought by the way just a few notes like...

On the date of birth. - I checked the unit number twice against the prescription chart and did verbally report it both times. I was unaware that the date of birth also needed to be checked verbally from the patient whilst being checked with the prescription chart. As I had already checked this before begining the main checks of the prescription chart and after before I gave the medication.

Allergies- This was verbally reported to the marking examiner. Through communicating with the patient and checking verbally that they did not have any allergies. The allergies box was looked at on the prerscription chart but was not verbally reported that the patient had none. This was because during practice of the medication procedure, in the clinical skill labs during practice I wasn't corrected in being told it was wrong just using this one method. I did believe we could check allergies either by saying from the prescription chart and not the client and vice versa. I wasn't aware both patient and prescription chart had to be used for this. Only one to lead to whther the patient had allergies or not. Hence only asking the patient.

I think they're pretty much resonable explanations to be honest. I mean i'm not saying that the examiner who is marking was wrong obviously but can anyone see where i'm coming from saying those two things about those two particular mistakes? (sorry if they don't make much sense I can't be bothered to check for typos and stuff)

What you have said sounds fine, but I think in some ways you just might have to go with what the examiner said. Drug errors are extremely important to avoid, and if the examiner feels you made those mistakes (and I'm assuming the examiner has plenty of experience) then you need to take her word for it. This is their way of ensuring that drug errors don't happen, and to protect their and your back, they need to prevent drug errors happening in the future. What will happen now if it goes under review? For next time (although you've probably realised this yourself anyway) if you have any doubt about saying something, say it. Even if you think you've covered it, it's best to ask too many questions/say too much then miss out vital questions e.g. allergies. Be thorough. Fingers crossed for you though for next time! :smile:
ok little/bitchy rant, but do you know people who would just be the worse nurses ever, ie people who aren't good listeners, or feel sick at the sight of poo! I KNOW these things are learnt, and can be improved but i just found out this girl, at my old school, who was rude, obnoxious, and generally the school bully, she was a nasty piece of work...and is now starting notts uni adult nursing in september :yikes:

REEALLLLYY hope im not on a placement with her as a second year, she'll be awful :frown:
Subcutaneous
ok little/bitchy rant, but do you know people who would just be the worse nurses ever, ie people who aren't good listeners, or feel sick at the sight of poo! I KNOW these things are learnt, and can be improved but i just found out this girl, at my old school, who was rude, obnoxious, and generally the school bully, she was a nasty piece of work...and is now starting notts uni adult nursing in september :yikes:

REEALLLLYY hope im not on a placement with her as a second year, she'll be awful :frown:

haha that'd be s*** if you were - to be fair though if she can't cut it she won't get very far before she drops out as she'll realise how unsuited she is! Or you could just make her life hell on placement!
smilee172
haha that'd be s*** if you were - to be fair though if she can't cut it she won't get very far before she drops out as she'll realise how unsuited she is! Or you could just make her life hell on placement!

hmmm, i'll start making evil plans now..bribing patients to fake needing bowel movements comes to a good idea..she once took photos of this girl in our year doing a poo, and posted it on bebo and around the school...i'm still in shock!
Subcutaneous
hmmm, i'll start making evil plans now..bribing patients to fake needing bowel movements comes to a good idea..she once took photos of this girl in our year doing a poo, and posted it on bebo and around the school...i'm still in shock!

oh my god!! That's horrible. I really wanted to rep you for that lol, until I realised some d*** neg-repped me 300 points so have no rep power, yay.

Latest

Trending

Trending