The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Subcutaneous
So you're saying midwives who've done the 18month course are not as competant as you and don't have the skills..

Thats quite a big generalisation to make

Oh no no, thats not what I was trying to say! Sorry if it came across that way :smile:

But it's things like getting your 40 catches is going to be harder in 18months then the 3 years, especially if your at a smaller unit as many on the 3 year course struggle.

18months just seems too short a time to get as much experience in all areas of midwifery :smile:
pinkmeerkat
Oh no no, thats not what I was trying to say! Sorry if it came across that way :smile:

But it's things like getting your 40 catches is going to be harder in 18months then the 3 years, especially if your at a smaller unit as many on the 3 year course struggle.

18months just seems too short a time to get as much experience in all areas of midwifery :smile:

You definitely used the word 'competent' though - I'd say those that do nursing first are just as competent a midwife, if not more, as they already have 3 years of health care experience as a registered professional under their belt.
smilee172
You definitely used the word 'competent' though - I'd say those that do nursing first are just as competent a midwife, if not more, as they already have 3 years of health care experience as a registered professional under their belt.

Fair enough that was the wrong word to use and maybe not exactly what I meant. But essential on the conversion course you have half the time getting midwifery experience, and while you are already fully qualified as a nurse and have that experience and those skills, the conversion course get half the amount of midwifery experience as those on direct so can you see the point I'm making. :smile:

My main point really that I was making to the user I quoted is that why should those who know they want to do midwifery waste 3 years doing nursing, then race through the midwifery course in 18 months. It makes no sense.
pinkmeerkat

This is baring in mind a lot of the midwives first years in many universities DO have shared lectures with the nurses, such as in A&P, social sciences and is simply getting the basics- and whilst a delivery suite may not be familiar to a nurse, the post-natal/pre-natal ward environment which many midwives work on aswell is just as familiar. ]

To say someone on a different training route to you isn't as competant is an awful generalisation to make and quite serious- would you not delegate a task to someone who has done the 18month conversion as you don't deem them competant enough, even though they've got the same registration and training as you?

Baring in mind on the nursing course we have students who're on the 2year graduate course, after just doing science degrees- and I know they're more than competant as I am when i'll qualify
Subcutaneous
This is baring in mind a lot of the midwives first years in many universities DO have shared lectures with the nurses, such as in A&P, social sciences and is simply getting the basics- and whilst a delivery suite may not be familiar to a nurse, the post-natal/pre-natal ward environment which many midwives work on aswell is just as familiar. ]

To say someone on a different training route to you isn't as competant is an awful generalisation to make and quite serious- would you not delegate a task to someone who has done the 18month conversion as you don't deem them competant enough, even though they've got the same registration and training as you?

Baring in mind on the nursing course we have students who're on the 2year graduate course, after just doing science degrees- and I know they're more than competant as I am when i'll qualify

I did just say in a post above that competant was the wrong word to use and not what I meant. And theres more placements to midwifery then just the delivery suite and the wards. I can't imagine they have time to fit in a placement on say NICU.

At my university we don't share any lecures with nurses, but I guess thats just us, we don't we really have any contact with them at all which is a shame really :frown:
Fair enough that was the wrong word to use and maybe not exactly what I meant. But essential on the conversion course you have half the time getting midwifery experience, and while you are already fully qualified as a nurse and have that experience and those skills, the conversion course get half the amount of midwifery experience as those on direct so can you see the point I'm making. :smile:

My main point really that I was making to the user I quoted is that why should those who know they want to do midwifery waste 3 years doing nursing, then race through the midwifery course in 18 months. It makes no sense.

Oh dear i've started a little disagreement with my post! lol :s-smilie:

I can see your point. But I personally think Midwifery shouldn't be a branch like Adult or Child etc.. I think it should require more years to study as you are specializing in one specific area and that way you would have 3 years nurse training and maybe some experience afterwards then do the midwifery course.
That's just in my personal opinion so don't get offended or anything. :smile:
Found out my next placement : Day surgery! :smile: quite excited for that!

I'm spending the day with the teenage mum midwife tomorrow and i have to fill in a 'spoke' placement sheet.. bit stuck though and my mentor wasn't much help when i asked her.

>> Following discussion with your mentor, identify your main learning objectives for your spoke placement and how do you think the spoke placement will inform your learning within your main placement, on your return!?

Find it really hard to think of anything!!
Holamigo

Ohhh. I miss surgery!

On my first placement we had a day case unit for surgery, it was interesting and quite fast paced in comparisson to the main ward. Enjoyable though.
Holamigo

I'm spending the day with the teenage mum midwife tomorrow and i have to fill in a 'spoke' placement sheet.. bit stuck though and my mentor wasn't much help when i asked her.

>> Following discussion with your mentor, identify your main learning objectives for your spoke placement and how do you think the spoke placement will inform your learning within your main placement, on your return!?

Find it really hard to think of anything!!

What is Spoke?! :s-smilie:

Oh sorry spoke means when I can spend the day with other professions like: midwife, SALT, school nurse etc...
Last day of my placement tomorrow! yipeeee! :biggrin:

Mega stressed out at the moment though. How is everyone?
Holamigo

Oh good luck! I met a student nurse from the uni I'm going to be studying at in Sept at when I went in for day surgery last week :biggrin: we had a really good chat and she really looked after me!

It looks quite fun, very fast-paced and all sorts of different ailments to deal with.
Summer241
Oh good luck! I met a student nurse from the uni I'm going to be studying at in Sept at when I went in for day surgery last week :biggrin: we had a really good chat and she really looked after me!

It looks quite fun, very fast-paced and all sorts of different ailments to deal with.

Ooo i hated day surgery, no offence holamigo, its not bad for a 1st year placement to work on your basic time management skills, admissions and discharges, pain relief etc. However I loathed it!

Its far too routine for my liking :p:
Summer241

Yeah i think that's the part I will like the most that it's fast-pace and all different things!
This placement i've just finished has been sooo slow! and in an office.. not me at all.
Subcutaneous
Ooo i hated day surgery, no offence holamigo, its not bad for a 1st year placement to work on your basic time management skills, admissions and discharges, pain relief etc. However I loathed it!

Its far too routine for my liking :p:

Oo i like routine :smile: lol I don't know....I might hate it yet, i'll just have to wait and see. Definitely will be really good for skills - as i've not done any BPs or any nursery stuff yet.
Mates I am so hungover its not even funny, went out with the 4th year student nurses and some midwives..dear god, I only left at 1am, but somehow im still dealing with a ****** hangover (I had a few jaegerbombs and sambuca shots..may be why!) lol Im not a big going out person but since 2nd year at uni- it's weekly at the moment lol. My last night out till after the big exam..argh, its on strokes aswell, which i hate, and find confusing..

I'm not really helping the 'all student nurses are party animals' image am I lol

rawwrgighghg
I feel your pain!
I went out Friday night, properly for the first time in a short while and jeezz did i suffer for it yesterday!

Only 3 weeks of placement and a OCSE before some proper summer times begin though!
Becky_90
I feel your pain!
I went out Friday night, properly for the first time in a short while and jeezz did i suffer for it yesterday!

Only 3 weeks of placement and a OCSE before some proper summer times begin though!

Yeah not long, Im taking a practice session in the nurses & midwives netball team today..will be interesting in doing it without throwing up!
Subcutaneous
4th year student nurses

Eh?
Philosoraptor
Eh?

Nursing courses can go on for 4-5 years

Latest

Trending

Trending