The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OSCE tomorrow ahh :O will be glad to get it out of the way!
Original post by Holamigo
OSCE tomorrow ahh :O will be glad to get it out of the way!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Becky_90
Good luck :smile:

thankyou :smile:
Anyone done a placement in recovery?
That's where ive just found out the majority of my theatre placement will be.
YES! I was there for 6 weeks last year! LOVED it.

Very critical care. Lots of airway management, obs, patients going off on you etc. Plus you only get your patient for around 30mins at a time..which is nice if you don't like them! lol
Oh great news, it seems to be one of those places alot of people like.

You any tips or anything worth reading up on etc?
Original post by Becky_90
Oh great news, it seems to be one of those places alot of people like.

You any tips or anything worth reading up on etc?

Theres a book called 'the recovery room' which has everything about post-anaesthetic care you need to know.

Basically read up on airway management (using LMA's, guedels, care of the post-extubated patient) aswell as pain management, nausea & vomiting management.

Oo and it's a good placement to practice doing handovers!

Oh and a systematic asessment, aka ABCDE..etc
Original post by Subcutaneous
Theres a book called 'the recovery room' which has everything about post-anaesthetic care you need to know.

Basically read up on airway management (using LMA's, guedels, care of the post-extubated patient) aswell as pain management, nausea & vomiting management.

Oo and it's a good placement to practice doing handovers!

Oh and a systematic asessment, aka ABCDE..etc

Thank you :biggrin:

I'll have a browse over those, im there for 8 weeks in total so should be quite good.
My osce was cancelled and the patient i looked after for weeks to practice for osce, died that day :'(
Sorry to hear that. All sounds a bit of a c*** situation.
yup sure is. my mock osce was cancelled too aswel as spending time with the OT (has been cancelled twice) Sick of people letting me down!!!

Also, don't - know-it-all students annoy you!? well they think they know it all and try to tell you how to do stuff as if they have already been a nurse for 30 years grrr. Haha just done 11 days in a row - finally got a day off so felt like ranting a little!
yup sure is. my mock osce was cancelled too aswel as spending time with the OT (has been cancelled twice) Sick of people letting me down!!!

Also, don't - know-it-all students annoy you!? well they think they know it all and try to tell you how to do stuff as if they have already been a nurse for 30 years grrr. Haha just done 11 days in a row - finally got a day off so felt like ranting a little!

Oh nooooo, have you complained to uni? Least you have some time to practice a bit extra though!

Yes..know it all students do, cause theres no such thing. I've met a few cocky ones in my time and they're so annoying- we have students who do the Masters of nursing science course which is a nursing degree over 4 years, a general (non-specialized) Msc at the end and normal uni holidays. Yet they seem to think they're better than us, and can walk into any band 6 job?! lol
OMG just spent the whole of this evening trying to understand IV drip rates...

5 hours later..MASTERED IT! Oh yes!!

BRING on my maths exam tomorrow..eek! x
Original post by Subcutaneous
Oh nooooo, have you complained to uni? Least you have some time to practice a bit extra though!

Yes..know it all students do, cause theres no such thing. I've met a few cocky ones in my time and they're so annoying- we have students who do the Masters of nursing science course which is a nursing degree over 4 years, a general (non-specialized) Msc at the end and normal uni holidays. Yet they seem to think they're better than us, and can walk into any band 6 job?! lol

Passed my OSCE :smile:

I know, its makes me laugh. I've met a lot of students who are doing the degree and they automatically think they know more than you just because you're doing the diploma. But at the end of the day just because you have more essays doesn't mean you will make a better nurse! grr it annoys me.
Passed my OSCE :smile:

I know, its makes me laugh. I've met a lot of students who are doing the degree and they automatically think they know more than you just because you're doing the diploma. But at the end of the day just because you have more essays doesn't mean you will make a better nurse! grr it annoys me.

Oh I know..

There is a teeeny bit of resentment between my degree lot vs the diploma lot.

Only because they get more money, more holidays and less work...and all we get is a degree and a different coloured gown at graduation! So not worth it sometimes!
OSCE tomorrow....arrrgghhhh!

I thought i'd cracked most of it earlier, gone to look back over things just now and feel worse.
Hope everyones exams/placements going well...!

Currently being a very cliched student nurse with a massive bottle of wine, and a ton of journal articles to trawl through for my dissertation. Hurrah! On the plus side- finally got my 'question'

"How can nurses improve the quality of life of patients with an acute tracheostomy?"

YAY!

AND done a first draft for my portfolio assignment..and chosen a topic for my management essay.
Ohh, that sounds interesting!

My osce, ermm...i think it went ok. I think i was ok with actually performing the two skills, the questions they asked weren't too bad however a couple of times my mind just went completely blank or i couldnt put into the correct words what i was trying to get across, which is the irritating thing because i knew that i knew it, nerves etc just got the better of me. Hopefully i'll have done enough to pass but only time will tell!
Okay so I'm starting nursing this year Sheffield, the adult branch cannot wait. Someone who has just done there first year in nursing or previously has sum it up for me!
Hopefully going to study nursing at York university! So excited :smile: anyone else going there orr got any tips?
thanks x

Latest

Trending

Trending