The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Thought I'd be a bit keen and start it off a bit early. Who's applying for Mathematics in 2012 and where are you thinking of applying to?

GCSE: 2A*, 5A, 3B
AS Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
Considering: (G101) Nottingham, Warwick, Southampton, Imperial, KCL, UEA and a few others.
Preparation: Reading mathematics related books, Practice STEP papers, finance related work experience, going to mathematics lectures.

Current Prospective Applicants:
IcedTea&PotNoodle
ben-smith
ilovedubstep
chibi_oc
Roscosmos
maths134
dnumberwang
Hoody93
hassi94
laughylolly

Edit: Everyone seems to be doing it anyway but post GCSE's, AS Levels, Possible Universities and how you are preparing for your application.

Hmm interesting: why the neg?

I was going to do maths in 2012 too...but after reading your inital comment i feel v unprepared and not good enough!! :/
I was also going to do maths with german...at maybe Heriot-watt, Leeds, Lancaster, Sheffield, RHUL...

Also I am v v prepared!!! haha Ive been lucky for quite a while really...
Original post by laughylolly
Sounds interesting. I read a bit about it in this book I'm reading. It was discussing how models are used to predict population growth. Then it went on to discuss modeling the behavior of gases... then brains and computers...

I wrote a post about mine above ^ ^ :smile:

oooh what book is that?
Original post by anshul95
oooh what book is that?

Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction - Timothy Gowers. It's a pretty small book but it gives you flavours of the different areas of Mathematics.
Reply 223
Original post by anshul95
I would agree but I did hear some people did get asked very specific things about their application - could have been a book they read (in my case it was my interest in mathematical demography which obviously sticked out like a sore thumb because not that may people care about it :frown: ).

The books I mentioned on my PS were all on the Oxford reading list, so you'd think you're more likely to be asked about them, I wasn't.

The problem with maths is the fact that you really do need to give the entire cohort the exact same interview in order to properly compare applicants against each other. At New I had 3 interviews, and everyone had identical interviews (with the exception of some pointless playing with dominoes and playing cards which changed over the course of the week) but due to the interviews being so short, they couldn't really go into a discussion about anything.
Reply 224
Original post by laughylolly
I'm doing finance related work experience... closest related to Maths that I could find. And yay another girl! How come you are not thinking of applying to oxbridge, your GCSE's look pretty damn good.

Yay and another girl! What reading lists did you look at/which books did you buy?

And girls.

Has anyone started doing Oxford exam prep? Have you tried any of the extended questions (not multi-choice) and how are you finding them?

Just a few books from the Oxford reading list haha. I haven't had the time to start reading them though :frown: I was going to start during the summer. I've got got:
Simon singh's cracking code book and fermat's last theorem
Paul hoffman's the man who loves numbers
Marcus du sautoy's music of primes and finding moonshine
Ian stewart's does god play dice

How about you? And have you started reading yours?
Original post by Noble.
The books I mentioned on my PS were all on the Oxford reading list, so you'd think you're more likely to be asked about them, I wasn't.

The problem with maths is the fact that you really do need to give the entire cohort the exact same interview in order to properly compare applicants against each other. At New I had 3 interviews, and everyone had identical interviews (with the exception of some pointless playing with dominoes and playing cards which changed over the course of the week) but due to the interviews being so short, they couldn't really go into a discussion about anything.

I think my first interview was very specific (Mansfield). But my second interiew at LMH was quite the opposite - I have a feeling that was done on purpose.
Original post by Mincan
Just a few books from the Oxford reading list haha. I haven't had the time to start reading them though :frown: I was going to start during the summer. I've got got:
Simon singh's cracking code book and fermat's last theorem
Paul hoffman's the man who loves numbers
Marcus du sautoy's music of primes and finding moonshine
Ian stewart's does god play dice

How about you? And have you started reading yours?

I'm really tempted to get Simon Singhs and Marcus Du Sautoys books. I have one of Marcus Du Sautoys books called 'The number My5teries' but it's more aimed towards younger children.

I have one book that I'm reading at a very leisurely pace, Mathematics: A very short introduction. I also started reading (about a year ago when I found it in my schools library) a book called The Divine Proportion: A study in Mathematical Beauty. I plan to finish that in the summer and maybe a few others if I come across any that will really interest me. I don't really see the point of reading tons and tons of books if they don't really interest you or if you are just reading them for your application or whatever. Plus I love to read non-mathematical books too so I don't have time for too many...
Original post by ben-smith
Oxford physics department

How did you pull that off? Would love to get one at a mathematics department in one of the London universities. Do you know what you will be doing there?
Original post by jerome1994
How did you pull that off? Would love to get one at a mathematics department in one of the London universities. Do you know what you will be doing there?

I got a work placement at the Cavendish labs at Cambridge. I just emailed someone there and asked if I could shadow someone for a week in the summer and they said yes! I did email Imperial and some other London unis but none of them replied...
Do you have to have done work experience or read up on the subject of maths to get an offer?
Original post by BeccaCath94
Do you have to have done work experience or read up on the subject of maths to get an offer?

Not at all, I don't think that they care at all about it (but it can't hurt). IMO they only care about how good at maths you are and how much passion you show at interview. (For Oxbridge)

The other universities don't interview so showing that you have read some books in your PS will differentiate you from the average applicant (hopefully), so don't bother with work experience but read some books, because you might as well (and you probably do already if you are planning on studying maths for the next 3 years, a lot of the people here seem to be just buying these maths books so that they can put them on their PS!)
Reply 231
Original post by like_a_star

Thanks :smile: I was thinking of applying to Cambridge but my UMS scores for my biology and chemistry exams weren't so good so i don't think i will get in and i don't want to waste a uni option applying there

Obviously this is nothing to base whether or not to apply to Cambridge on, but I got 240/300 in as physics and 165/200 in both of computing and general studies.
Original post by Zuzuzu
Obviously this is nothing to base whether or not to apply to Cambridge on, but I got 240/300 in as physics and 165/200 in both of computing and general studies.

did you get into cambridge?
Original post by Zuzuzu

Ohh and u got an offer at cambridge?? i think i might look at cambridge then. maybe go for an open day and then decide if want to apply or not. thanks for the encouragement :smile:
Reply 234
Ah yes, sorry. Should have made it clear in my first post, I have an offer at the moment.
Original post by ilovedubstep
I got a work placement at the Cavendish labs at Cambridge. I just emailed someone there and asked if I could shadow someone for a week in the summer and they said yes! I did email Imperial and some other London unis but none of them replied...

That's incredible, I think i might try that at a couple of the UoL colleges. Do you think It would still look good if I applied to the physics department rather than mathematics?
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
That's incredible, I think i might try that at a couple of the UoL colleges. Do you think It would still look good if I applied to the physics department rather than mathematics?

I don't know, I don't think it will affect my chances at all I would just quite like to do it, so my advice would be to do what you want to do and not what you think will look good for your application.
Original post by Reminisce

So I would imagine for myself a compromise of either mentioning two or three books. What about you guys?

I would probably only put 2 or 3 as well but would talk about them and not just mention them. Some people (admission staff) who I have talked to said to not just mention stuff that you have done but talk about how it shows your interest in maths or for books what you think about what has been written. That shows that you're not just doing it for your PS but because you actually enjoy maths.
Reply 238
Don't get too hung up on the whole books thing :smile: I didn't mention a single one in my PS. I did however on the SAQ, but that's not the point I'm trying to make here! As long as you relate everything to your love of Maths, you're sorted.
Original post by like_a_star
I would probably only put 2 or 3 as well but would talk about them and not just mention them. Some people (admission staff) who I have talked to said to not just mention stuff that you have done but talk about how it shows your interest in maths or for books what you think about what has been written. That shows that you're not just doing it for your PS but because you actually enjoy maths.

Yeah I would probably spend a paragraph on two/three books but in other places I might put reference to extra knowledge from other books but don't actually mention by name.

Latest