The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
segat1
in order to preserve a healthy military and obedient population, all people, at the age of 18 should be required to undergo mandatory military service of at least a one year duration. An exception of this would be Oxbridge students, as the conscription for the countries finest minds would be too great a risk

Nicely excluding yourself I see. :rolleyes:
Reply 2
great idea.

no idea what Howards on about though....
Reply 3
yeah, apparently I am a tab, lets pretend for a bit.
Reply 4
bikerx23
great idea.

no idea what Howards on about though....

Segat's location is Cambridge. I assumed therefore that he is an Oxbridge student. I note your location is Oxford and assuming you too are an Oxbridge student it doesn't surprize me to find you in agreement with Segat.
If segat1 is an oxbridge student, her logic is self defeating.
I would argue that the country's finest finds arent necessarily at Oxbridge. I've met a lot of stupid people who go there who could do with a dose of real life.

Thus I propose the opposite: all oxbridge students should do a year's military service.

--------------

segat1
in order to preserve a healthy military and obedient population, all people, at the age of 18 should be required to undergo mandatory military service of at least a one year duration. An exception of this would be Oxbridge students, as the conscription for the countries finest minds would be too great a risk

Thought police! Thought police!
Reply 7
Howard
Segat's location is Cambridge. I assumed therefore that he is an Oxbridge student. I note your location is Oxford and assuming you too are an Oxbridge student it doesn't surprize me to find you in agreement with Segat.

For a start, segat is a she (check out the little pink icon...)
Secondly, she is not an Oxbridge student.
Reply 8
bikerx23
For a start, segat is a she (check out the little pink icon...)
Secondly, she is not an Oxbridge student.

Clearly, Howard is one of the ones who would need to do the National Service. Tea and crumpets, Bikerx23 m'dear?
Reply 9
segat1
Tea and crumpets, Bikerx23 m'dear?
How about a martini or two.......err or four.
Reply 10
Why should we have or want an obedient population? Who are they going to obey- the allegedly great minds that go to Oxbridge? They can go in with everyone else. If they're such great minds they can demostrate it prsctically.
Reply 11
segat1
Clearly, Howard is one of the ones who would need to do the National Service. Tea and crumpets, Bikerx23 m'dear?

Not by your standards since I'm an Oxford graduate myself. :wink:
Reply 12
Oh are you really? where did you study old bean?
Reply 13
bikerx23
Oh are you really? where did you study old bean?

Law.
Reply 14
as in where I was asking which college...I'm aware you studied law - my sister is applying for the same at the moment (and very unlikely to be accepted...)
Reply 15
Howard
Law.

Spiffing!
Exactly. Let's see these "great minds" put up a tent and chop some wood!
Reply 17
Objet trouvé
Exactly. Let's see these "great minds" put up a tent and chop some wood!

well - hey!
Student of Oxford University, ML(summer), ML(winter), MIA, MIC, IML, SPA.
As you can see - qualifications speak for themselves (and those enable me to do so much more than chop wood and put up a tent).
Reply 18
bikerx23
well - hey!
Student of Oxford Univeristy, ML(summer), ML(winter), MIA, MIC, IML, SPA.
As you can see - qualifications speak for themselves (and those enable me to do so much more than chop wood and put up a tent).

Psst... biker.... spell University
Reply 19
I dont know what you're talking about...thats slanderous :wink:

reading a paper about pahoehoe lobe inflation appears to be melting my brain though - so i'll blame it on that.

Latest

Trending

Trending