The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Uni Halls 2011/12

Well, i applied for my accomodation at the very beginning of March and im catagory A (oh and i have an unconditional). I put Queen Margaret as my 1st choice and i realllllllllllyyyy want to go there! i went to look at them and fell in love!! I put Murano (small flat) as my second.

What do you think my chances are of getting QM? Who else has applied where? Anyone else as excited as i am?? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm wondering about Accommodation. I went on the tour of Murano today and the place looked bleak and fairly depressing.

Is all the uni accommodation for Glasgow uni in the middle of nowhere (like there seemed to be no high street, bars, nothing of note anywhere near it)?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
I got a conditional (it was january 2009) and then applied for QM at the very beginning of march with my conditional offer. I got offered a place.

It was VERY expensive and not fully worth it in my eyes, great for uni accomodation but the price just doesnt justify it. The games room is good for messing about with mates (made some friends whom im still hanging about with) but things like wasking machines and dryers all have to be paid for when you're using them. We were the last people to use them when they are free. It's a shame they squeeze even more money out of students when they are already paying too much IMO. The best out of what Glasgow has to offer though.
Original post by Jmothecat
I'm wondering about Accommodation. I went on the tour of Murano today and the place looked bleak and fairly depressing.

It's really not that bad. If you have great flatmates/block mates then you won't be caring about the surroundings, and there's always a good atmosphere about the place. Anyway, some of murano is actually quite nice (for student halls), I was surprised when I moved in. Although I will say there is a 'ghetto' end of the street, lol.
Reply 4
Is anyone applying to Victoria Hall?
Reply 5
Applied to (and hope fully moving into) Wolfson Hall :biggrin:

anyone else applied there as their first choice?
Reply 6
Hey, I only received my offer from Glasgow (conditional firm, unconditional insurance) a few days ago, and firmed everything today. I am, however, due to hear whether I fulfil my conditional within the next few days (it's not an SQA exam results condition).

I fall into Category A of accommodation, and I'm going to put QM as my first choice (when I'm able to blooming well apply for it after 72 hours!!!)

How likely is it that I will be accepted into QM? I know spots there are being taken left, right and centre, but I think that it's really unfair that people who didn't receive any offer from the University until this late are punished through no fault of their own!
Reply 7
Original post by RoseH
Is anyone applying to Victoria Hall?

Yes I have :smile: It's my first two choices! It looks really nice and I like that fact that it's in the center of Glasgow.
Reply 8
Original post by thatteapot
Yes I have :smile: It's my first two choices! It looks really nice and I like that fact that it's in the center of Glasgow.

I know! Especially the "Premium Ensuite" :smile: I had it as my first two choices but then the website mentioned taking the underground to uni (?) because it was so far away which put me off. I wish I'd left it now though after I had a look on Google Earth :frown: Let's hope Queen Margaret is full haha how confident are you that you'll get to stay there?
Reply 9
Also, I know that Victoria Hall isn't exclusive to Glasgow Uni 1st Years, but is there any way you can put that as your preference of people to share with?

Victoria Hall seems lovely - but I'd only really like to go if I could be put with with 1st Years, and preferably Glasgow Uni students.
Reply 10
Original post by gtown2011
Also, I know that Victoria Hall isn't exclusive to Glasgow Uni 1st Years, but is there any way you can put that as your preference of people to share with?

Victoria Hall seems lovely - but I'd only really like to go if I could be put with with 1st Years, and preferably Glasgow Uni students.

Does it not say on the website "Run by Glasgow University for Glasgow University" on the Victoria Hall profile page? Ah no sorry that was a different page, although it does state: "However, all processing of applications and allocations will be handled by the University of Glasgow thereby retaining its role as landlord to student residents." How do you know other University students can stay there?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Hmmm, I could be wrong, but I thought it was like one of those 'Unite' accommodations, where students from everywhere can go to. I'm sure that a girl my sister knows, who attends Strathclyde Uni and is in 2nd Year, lives there.
Victoria Halls are owned by a private company, but Glasgow University organise everything for their students. You will be put in flats with only UG students.

It is basically the same idea as Unite accommodation and there will be students from Caledonian, Strath and some of the colleges there as well, but in your flat there will be only UG students.
Reply 13
Original post by dreamyeyed
Victoria Halls are owned by a private company, but Glasgow University organise everything for their students. You will be put in flats with only UG students.

It is basically the same idea as Unite accommodation and there will be students from Caledonian, Strath and some of the colleges there as well, but in your flat there will be only UG students.

Fantastic! Thank you.
I'll be applying in a few days time - QM will still be my preference, but knowing that Victoria is now a good backup is a bit more comforting!

How do they rank you in importance? I.E. What if a student only receives an offer from Glasgow in late March, but it's unconditional. Are they less likely to receive what they want than somebody who replied to their conditional in mid-February? And what about 'categories'?

Which is the most important: your offer status, your time of application, your category, or a combination of all three?
Original post by gtown2011
Fantastic! Thank you.
I'll be applying in a few days time - QM will still be my preference, but knowing that Victoria is now a good backup is a bit more comforting!

How do they rank you in importance? I.E. What if a student only receives an offer from Glasgow in late March, but it's unconditional. Are they less likely to receive what they want than somebody who replied to their conditional in mid-February? And what about 'categories'?

Which is the most important: your offer status, your time of application, your category, or a combination of all three?

Tbh, i don't know much about the application process for accommodation now, when i applied two years ago there were no categories or anything!

What i would say, is that i would suspect QM will be full up by now (i could be wrong, as i don't really know how they allocate halls now), although the fact that you have an unconditional will mean that they will be able to allocate accommodation to you quickly, so you may be able to still get in. As far as i know, and again, i could be wrong, if you have a conditional you are not allocated accommodation til you become unconditional.

As i don't really know much about the categories, i can't say how important they are, but obviously, if you have a unconditional you are in a much better place than having an unconditional. And obviously, the earlier you apply the more likely you are to get your preference. I applied at this time of year when i applied and got my fourth choice, as an unconditional so that can give you an idea of the demand for accommodation.
i put wolfson as my first choice, damn it all due to my inability to cook
Original post by Escocia
Applied to (and hope fully moving into) Wolfson Hall :biggrin:

anyone else applied there as their first choice?

here
Reply 17
Original post by NightKings
here

yay, Im not alone :smile:

What course are you applying to?
Original post by Escocia
yay, Im not alone :smile:

What course are you applying to?

mathematics and you ?

did you apply for hall yet ?
Reply 19
Original post by NightKings
mathematics and you ?

did you apply for hall yet ?

History.
I applied to the halls last weekend. You?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending