The Student Room Group

Is East London really THAT dangerous?

Scroll to see replies

That Prof. Green song/video is one of the worst things I've ever seen.
Nope. Hackney isn't in east london. So no
Reply 22
It isn't as bad as its made out to be, but it is bad.

Like with any city, there's good and bad areas.

If you go looking for trouble, act a tosser and make yourself a target, of course someone's going to mug you.

Keep yourself to yourself, don't give and incentive and you'll be fine. The streets of East London aren't deserted and being run by gangs, its not a warzone. Its just not the safest place.
Reply 23
Minor, east london is good place....be prepared to learn alot of slang words.
No, but It's a bit crap tho
It is down Walthamstow. If you come down here, you'll probably get shanked and raped under this bridge near my house. It's like the norm now. People just casually stroll past people who are getting shanked.
Reply 26
Original post by arsenal22

Original post by arsenal22
Depends what area you are in really...Redbridge (Ilford, Barkingside, Hainault and etc.) is certainly not a bad area at all, they just try to act bad like other areas such as Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham, Lewisham, Enfield, Haringey and etc.

I'm insulted by your inclusion of Enfield in that list of places :biggrin:! Honestly, it contains some of the nicest places in North London. Or are you just being sarcastic?

Edit: And some parts of East London are now becoming 'trendy' and it's not uncommon to spot hipsters with even some more affluent people starting to have their residences in places like London Fields.
(edited 13 years ago)
Like anywhere, it's only really dangerous if you do something stupid.
Reply 28
Not at all. Its fine.
Reply 29
Nope
Reply 30
Original post by LornaSandison1
Like anywhere, it's only really dangerous if you do something stupid.

Agreed. I wouldn't recommend advertising an MP3 player or a phone for instance. In some cases, carrying a dud phone can save your skin; my friend recently gave a mugger one (except this was his real phone - it's not very good) and it was handed back to him instantly. :rolleyes:
Reply 31
No.
Reply 32
well if you are prone to deliberately provoking hard looking clusters of people focusing on their ethnicity, whether it be black, white or asian, and are willing to go out your way to find such people, then yes.

saying that, going through hackney on the DLR made me realise what a **** hole some parts are. No lie, the housing in the crappier parts of Albania's capital seemed more appealing to me then some of the block of flats you go past!
Reply 33
No, lived her all my life and nothing bad ever happened to me.
One day, I got on the bus with my day saver, smoked the reefer in corner, I layed low and did a grand theft auto.
Original post by oh-my-diddy
It is down Walthamstow. If you come down here, you'll probably get shanked and raped under this bridge near my house. It's like the norm now. People just casually stroll past people who are getting shanked.

The bridge in Billet round about?
Reply 36
Original post by adam_zed
well if you are prone to deliberately provoking hard looking clusters of people focusing on their ethnicity, whether it be black, white or asian, and are willing to go out your way to find such people, then yes.

saying that, going through hackney on the DLR made me realise what a **** hole some parts are. No lie, the housing in the crappier parts of Albania's capital seemed more appealing to me then some of the block of flats you go past!

The DLR doesn't go through Hackney. You are right though it is a craphole but again it's not the East End. The East End is primarily Tower Hamlets, Newham, the Docklands and parts of Waltham Forest. Once you get beyond that you start to get into more suburby places like Redbridge and Barking (not that Barking is nice).
Reply 37
Original post by oh-my-diddy

LOL someone just had to par Walthamstow

As long as you don't go out at dodgy times alone, you'll be fine
i'm more safe in East London than anywhere else in the world.
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
No.

Do you even know east london?

Some parts of East London are certaintly quite dangerous

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending