The Student Room Group

The 5th and 6th Year Choices Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Well that is Ok if he is willing to pay :smile: But as you said, so few unis offer pharmacy that they are all recognized courses, which uni you go to won't matter (I don't go to a Russel group uni :tongue:)

I know that, but my dad is a highly stubborn creature and hey, if I get the chance to get away from home and he's willing to pay, I ain't complaining.
Original post by NaturalDisaster
he's willing to pay the ridiculous fees

Wait, what? If you're just a normal UK student, then you're eligible for a tuition fees loan. On the other hand, if you can afford the tuition fees up-front, it makes things simpler, I suppose.

Spoiler

Original post by TheUnbeliever
Wait, what? If you're just a normal UK student, then you're eligible for a tuition fees loan. On the other hand, if you can afford the tuition fees up-front, it makes things simpler, I suppose.

Spoiler

He doesn't want me to get into debt, bless him. He'd rather pay for them himself. He wants to do the same for my little brother and sister as well though so I have no idea what goes on in that mans head. And I'm anything but normal. :biggrin:
hi :smile:
i'm going into fifth year soon and can't decide on my choices at all! i originally picked english, maths, history, modern studies and french, but i genuinely can't put myself through another year of french - love the language but it's so dull. i'm considering dropping it for geography instead. would this be a good move in terms of applying for uni and that? or will they not look too kindly on three social subjects? i'm hoping to do law or history and politics. i really have nae clue. sorry for the rambling, sleepy/rough/confused, any help is appreciated!
Reply 104
I'm also not too sure on what to do for 5th year. I've picked History, English, Human Bio, French and Drama. Is it a bit stupid not to do maths? I hate maths and i'm not too confident about doing the int 2 exam on Wednesday but I know it's not the best choice to leave maths at an int 2. Has anyone else not done maths in 5th year and done well or am I harming my chances of getting into a good uni?
Original post by jw95-
am I harming my chances of getting into a good uni?

What do you want to apply for?
For 6th year I'm doing:

Advanced higher music
Higher digital media
Higher modern studies
Higher business management.
Reply 107
The now I've picke

Higher Maths
Higher English
Higher PE
Higher Biology (Business Management)
Higher Information Systems (French)

Is French an alright subject to pick at Higher because it was so boring at SG.
And is it a risk to leave Biology for a year cos I don't think I'd pass with the Biology teacher I would get in 5th year, shes terrible but it would be a better teacher for it in 6th year, shes great so is it a risk to stop it for a year.

Cheers
Reply 108
Original post by mwellno1
Is French an alright subject to pick at Higher because it was so boring at SG.
And is it a risk to leave Biology for a year cos I don't think I'd pass with the Biology teacher I would get in 5th year, shes terrible but it would be a better teacher for it in 6th year, shes great so is it a risk to stop it for a year.

French at Higher is alot more interesting (if that would be the right word lol!). Like machupicchu said, it is a HUGE step, but I definitely think it was worth it ...

As for Biology, I wouldn't say it's much of a risk taking one year out ... Know a fair amount of people who crashed it with no problems as well, from what I can remember it's fairly well structured so that SG theory is refreshed while they build on it ...

Hope that helps !!!
For 5th year I took Higher Maths, Higher English, Higher Admin, Higher Art (but dropped to Int2) and Int2 Biology.

Next year I'm taking Int2 Personal Development Plan (I don't even know what this is, it was to fill a column), Higher History, Higher Health & Food Tech and Higher French.

I may have to resit Maths but I am in no way resitting English just simply because I can't be bothered!
Reply 110
6th year I'm going to take:

Advanced Higher Biology
Advanced Higher Chemistry
Advanced Higher Computing
Scottish baccalaureate in science :tongue:
Reply 111
What do you want to apply for?

Glasgow hopefully, I want to do history or social and economic history there.
Original post by jw95-
Glasgow hopefully, I want to do history or social and economic history there.

Probably not, then. :smile:
Reply 113
Probably not, then. :smile:

probably not harming my chances or probably not get in? ha, hopefully the former!! :biggrin:
Original post by jw95-
probably not harming my chances or probably not get in? ha, hopefully the former!! :biggrin:

:laugh: Harming your chances.
Reply 115
I'm currently sitting my Highers which are: Maths, German, Physics, Chemistry, Computing (wow, thats the order I sit them as well... )

I want to take 3 AH namely Maths, Physics and German, but I'm unsure of another Higher /Crash /AH (really?) ... Can anyone give a tip?

I wish to study (Astro)Physics at Uni...
I have chosen: (all higher)

Maths,
English,
Physics,
Art,
Graphics.

I'm not sure what I want to do when I'm older.. Maybe something to do with Graphics? Maybe a Graphics teacher? I don't know..
Reply 117
Original post by SimonDLM
I'm currently sitting my Highers which are: Maths, German, Physics, Chemistry, Computing (wow, thats the order I sit them as well... )

I want to take 3 AH namely Maths, Physics and German, but I'm unsure of another Higher /Crash /AH (really?) ... Can anyone give a tip?

I wish to study (Astro)Physics at Uni...

I'm wanting to study that too, i'm taking AH Maths, Physics and H Geology next year.
Original post by SimonDLM

Applied Maths? It's AH, but one of the three units is a subset of the main maths course, so it's only like an additional two-thirds of an AH, if you like.
I wanted some advice on the subjects which I should take next year to help me get into the Uni courses which I want to attend. The places I want to study are either Glasgow or Edinburgh but I don't think my grades are good enough so my next port of call would be Strathclyde or Stirling. I want to go into an arts course on either History or Psychology but haven't decided on which one yet.

Just now I'm estimated 3 A's at Higher in Drama, History and Computing as well as a C in maths and an A in Int2 English. I'll obviously take English next year but I wondering if anyone could advise on the best subjects to take to get into by selected Uni's or if it's actually too far gone now and my results - no matter what I do in sixth year - wouldn't change that.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending