The Student Room Group

Dropping Subjects

I've received 4 unconditional offers to study law and Spanish at Strathclyde, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, and Stirling. I am still waiting to hear back from Glasgow Caledonian Uni as well. I currently take 3 Advanced Highers (Maths, English, and Art) and 2 Highers (Admin and History). However, I'm pretty stressed out about the workload from all of these subjects and, in particular, I'm really not enjoying English.

Would I be able to 'drop' English this far on in the year, bearing in mind I submitted the subject on my UCAS application? Or do I just have to see it through until the end of the year? I'm just worried it won't look too good to universities if I do drop the subject now although it's not a requirement for any of my choices and I've already received an offer for my first choice (Strathclyde).
Hello, I was in a similar situation to you, in that last year I was fast-tracking an A level, and doing an A level at A2. I too had applied for law and wanted to drop one of my subjects after I’d heard back from all my choices. What I did (and what I recommend you do) is email or call the admissions team of each uni and explain your situation, and ask if your offer would be at all affected if you did drop this subject- don’t drop it before you’ve talked to them. I did this (I spoke to Bristol and Durham) and both were happy for me to drop my subject, as I could still meet the offers they had given me.

I hope this helps :smile:
As above - just get the OK in writing that you can drop English and you're golden

And if they don't give you the OK then just make a decision to half-arse English....submit the bare minimum of work, attend the minimum lessons to avoid being kicked out, turn up to the exam without doing any revision and just fill in whatever you fancy. If you technically COMPLETE the qualification then your UCAS application form is 100% accurate and your offers aren't affected.
Reply 3
Original post by Squiggles1238
Hello, I was in a similar situation to you, in that last year I was fast-tracking an A level, and doing an A level at A2. I too had applied for law and wanted to drop one of my subjects after I’d heard back from all my choices. What I did (and what I recommend you do) is email or call the admissions team of each uni and explain your situation, and ask if your offer would be at all affected if you did drop this subject- don’t drop it before you’ve talked to them. I did this (I spoke to Bristol and Durham) and both were happy for me to drop my subject, as I could still meet the offers they had given me.

I hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much, I’ve emailed the universities and hopefully they get back to me soon.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
As above - just get the OK in writing that you can drop English and you're golden

And if they don't give you the OK then just make a decision to half-arse English....submit the bare minimum of work, attend the minimum lessons to avoid being kicked out, turn up to the exam without doing any revision and just fill in whatever you fancy. If you technically COMPLETE the qualification then your UCAS application form is 100% accurate and your offers aren't affected.

Thank you, hopefully they okay it. Just don’t see the point in wasting my time doing something I don’t need but if needs must then I’ll coast my way through it without doing much.
Original post by keiira11
I've received 4 unconditional offers to study law and Spanish at Strathclyde, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, and Stirling. I am still waiting to hear back from Glasgow Caledonian Uni as well. I currently take 3 Advanced Highers (Maths, English, and Art) and 2 Highers (Admin and History). However, I'm pretty stressed out about the workload from all of these subjects and, in particular, I'm really not enjoying English.

Would I be able to 'drop' English this far on in the year, bearing in mind I submitted the subject on my UCAS application? Or do I just have to see it through until the end of the year? I'm just worried it won't look too good to universities if I do drop the subject now although it's not a requirement for any of my choices and I've already received an offer for my first choice (Strathclyde).

Hey @keiira11 🙂 Congrats on your offers! That's great news, you must be so pleased!

Three advanced highers as well as another two highers is quite a lot I'd say, and while we like to see students applying themselves further in S6 you should try to get a good balance between keeping up your study and work ethic and also enjoying your final year of school study 📚️ So with that in mind I think you'd be ok to change your subjects to what you're suggesting, but it's best to let the department know in advance. Can I check which email you got in touch with so I can confirm you've got in touch with the right team? It should be [email protected].

Let me know if you've any other questions! Congrats again and good luck for S6 😀

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 6
Original post by University of Strathclyde

Hey @keiira11 🙂 Congrats on your offers! That's great news, you must be so pleased!

Three advanced highers as well as another two highers is quite a lot I'd say, and while we like to see students applying themselves further in S6 you should try to get a good balance between keeping up your study and work ethic and also enjoying your final year of school study 📚️ So with that in mind I think you'd be ok to change your subjects to what you're suggesting, but it's best to let the department know in advance. Can I check which email you got in touch with so I can confirm you've got in touch with the right team? It should be [email protected].

Let me know if you've any other questions! Congrats again and good luck for S6 😀

Caitlin 🎓️

Thanks Caitlin, my decision to take 5 areas of study again this year was influenced heavily by my school enforcing 6th years to do so regardless of performance in 5th year. However, I didn’t fully agree with it to begin with.

The email I contacted was [email protected] but I’ll forward the email on to the one you mentioned as well.

Thanks for your help again.

Caitlin 🎓️

Thanks Caitlin, my decision to take 5 areas of study again this year was influenced heavily by my school enforcing 6th years to do so regardless of performance in 5th year. However, I didn’t fully agree with it to begin with.

The email I contacted was [email protected] but I’ll forward the email on to the one you mentioned as well.

Thanks for your help again.
There is definitely a value to keeping a fuller timetable, lots of schools would encourage that so you're not alone 🙂 Three advanced highers with further highers is a big challenge though, so it's just about striking the right balance that works for you.

No problem, that's a good idea! I think the central team (you'd emailed first) would forward your email on to the academic selectors too but sending on yourself is also a good idea. We're just back this week from the Christmas break so there might be a wee delay in them getting to your email but they'll respond soon.

Caitlin 🎓️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending