The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature A - Love Through the Ages June 2011 Exam :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pianofluteftw
Please go for it - my teacher made English A level so much better with her random phrases she came out with - another one is FOFO (F*** off Find out) when she was despairing that no one knew any context :wink:

I'm stealing that as well!
Reply 181
Original post by Rachel_Leah

I'm just so worried if it talks about family love or something, in a drama + drama question, and I only have poetry for family love wider reading etc. It's too late for my to be reading whole novels and plays now aaaahh.
Hopefully it will be fine.

And Oh no, how comes you failed?! Was it very difficult in Jan?x

family love: Pride and Predjudice
Sons and Lovers
Revolutionary Road.

There all really easy to good and grab some quotes on, universal texts...hope this helps but honestly it says on the exam paper and specification that three or four wider reading is absolutly fine if its in enough detail, thats often what they prefer. im quietly freaking out about the close analysis :/ xxx
Reply 182
Original post by iloveusernames

Original post by iloveusernames
Urrgh yeah I hate Shakespeare. I can not understand a word, and then when I go to read the translation I'm like "ohhh that's what he's talking about. i thought it was something completely different". I phail so much hahha.

dont worry im completely the same with Shakespeare, unless its a play, praying that he wont be a given text.. CRY xx
Original post by jesska14
dont worry im completely the same with Shakespeare, unless its a play, praying that he wont be a given text.. CRY xx

in every exam shakespeare has come up i can almost guarantee that it will come up this time

probably in Q2
I think this has already been covered BUT just to make sure - structure, form and language don't have to be separated into succinct paragraphs do they?

For example - Intro (themes) - structure - form - wider reading and form - language - wider reading and structure - end

The above would be generic and advised against, compared to an essay that explored other areas other than the 'stricter' definitions of SFL e.g. characterisation, lexis, etc etc?
Original post by The_Jatt_Joker
in every exam shakespeare has come up i can almost guarantee that it will come up this time

probably in Q2

I think you are very likely right, not necessarily in Q2.
Read my earlier posts.
Just looked at June '10 paper. I did not understand the Marvell AT ALL, and even the Shakespeare was quite difficult, and I usually get on well with William lol. :s-smilie: this is rather worrying, I don't want to spend the whole time just simply trying to UNDERSTAND what the hell these writers are going on about!

Thanks to those who replied to my earlier posts by the way, xx
Reply 188
Just looked at June '10 paper. I did not understand the Marvell AT ALL, and even the Shakespeare was quite difficult, and I usually get on well with William lol. :s-smilie: this is rather worrying, I don't want to spend the whole time just simply trying to UNDERSTAND what the hell these writers are going on about!

Don't forget that the exam board recommend that your time be split into 1 hour for reading/planning and then 45 minutes per question. Even if you don't understand straight up, there's plenty of time to read through :smile:

There's no doubt it was a very daunting paper indeed. However, our students did very well on it and I think the board must have revised its expectations downwards a bit once they saw what the students did in the actual exam. (Remember this was the first paper for this syllabus, so they didn't really have much sense of the level until students sat it.) We didn't enter anyone for the January module, figuring you're just not ready at that stage, but the paper was pretty similar, so I think you should expect something very like it this time. However, as I've said elsewhere, everyone is sitting the same paper and facing the same difficulties and they will adjust the grade boundaries to make the same proportion of A*s etc as usual, so try not to be thrown by it. You'll be able to say things about it once the adrenalin gets flowing.
Original post by Pthaos
Don't forget that the exam board recommend that your time be split into 1 hour for reading/planning and then 45 minutes per question. Even if you don't understand straight up, there's plenty of time to read through :smile:

Yes, you absolutely should NOT expect to start writing straight away. Planning is crucial and you'll get nowhere without understanding the extracts, which means reading them AT LEAST twice each.
how is everyone doing on the alternative interpretations?
So I was wondering other peoples views on this idea, would it be stupid for in the first hour (before writing an answer for either of the texts) to just maybe try and annotate the text's from both questions then write two answers with the hour and half left, or is that a crazy way to go about it?

I mean't to ask my teacher today, but it slipped my mind.

P.S Does any one have any advice on how to make a plan, I seriously do not know where to start on plans
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 193
Original post by Bexygoteaten
So I was wondering other peoples views on this idea, would it be stupid for in the first hour (before writing an answer for either of the texts) to just maybe try and annotate the text's from both questions then write two answers with the hour and half left, or is that a crazy way to go about it?

That's exactly how the exam board SUGGEST you should do it, 1 hour of total planning, annotating and reading.

Personally, I think I'll only spend about 30-45 minutes doing this, to allow me some spare time incase I want to expand on anything extra. But the hour is there for planning and it really depends on what comes up to dictate how you feel confident spending your time :smile:
Pthaos you're so clever :smile:
i feel like i am going to cry.
Reply 196
does anyone have any idea what can be picked out in structure for drama?
i can't think of anything :/
i have all the form and language stuff pretty much like characterisation, settings, literary techniques, but i really don't know what to include for the structure element

I'm so freaking out for this exam, i hope they're kind to us!!
Reply 197
Original post by ashleighwhitehouse

SNAP! i'm actually so nervous for the exam!! i don't know what more i can do towards it :frown:
Original post by ashleighwhitehouse

Don't do that.:console:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It could be either (dramatic monologue = form, multiple narrators in e.g. Wuthering Heights = structure), but it really doesn't matter because there's no reason to label it. Talk about it when it's relevant. People are stressing too much! As I've said elsewhere or earlier (I'm losing track of where I'm posting at the moment), the best essays are where the student has seen something really interesting and pursues an individual line of enquiry without sticking rigidly to a pre-prepared essay formula. Freshness of approach is a signifier of A and A* answers and you can weigh yourself down with too much reliance on labelling things for no real purpose.

It's refreshing to hear this from a teacher for once. A lot of teachers at my school (but not all of them) are so hung up on all this AO business and 'bolting on' various elements.

It makes me sound really arrogant but English Lit is one of those annoying subjects that no matter how hard you try at ticking those boxes, you can't get an A* without having 'flair.'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending