x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Literature A - Love Through the Ages June 2011 Exam :D watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Bless you, my child, I teach it!

OH! hahaha. i see!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been taught a sort a structure to stick by, i know the best answers don't stick by a structure but i actaully NEED 1 if anyone has anything like a good structure I will be SOOO grateful. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianofluteftw)
    Please go for it - my teacher made English A level so much better with her random phrases she came out with - another one is FOFO (F*** off Find out) when she was despairing that no one knew any context
    I'm stealing that as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel_Leah)
    I'm just so worried if it talks about family love or something, in a drama + drama question, and I only have poetry for family love wider reading etc. It's too late for my to be reading whole novels and plays now aaaahh.
    Hopefully it will be fine.

And Oh no, how comes you failed?! Was it very difficult in Jan?x
    family love: Pride and Predjudice
    Sons and Lovers
    Revolutionary Road.

There all really easy to good and grab some quotes on, universal texts...hope this helps but honestly it says on the exam paper and specification that three or four wider reading is absolutly fine if its in enough detail, thats often what they prefer. im quietly freaking out about the close analysis :/ xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveusernames)
    Urrgh yeah I hate Shakespeare. I can not understand a word, and then when I go to read the translation I'm like "ohhh that's what he's talking about. i thought it was something completely different". I phail so much hahha.
    dont worry im completely the same with Shakespeare, unless its a play, praying that he wont be a given text.. CRY xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesska14)
    dont worry im completely the same with Shakespeare, unless its a play, praying that he wont be a given text.. CRY xx
    in every exam shakespeare has come up i can almost guarantee that it will come up this time

probably in Q2

ReputationRep:
    I think this has already been covered BUT just to make sure - structure, form and language don't have to be separated into succinct paragraphs do they?

For example - Intro (themes) - structure - form - wider reading and form - language - wider reading and structure - end

The above would be generic and advised against, compared to an essay that explored other areas other than the 'stricter' definitions of SFL e.g. characterisation, lexis, etc etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Jatt_Joker)
    in every exam shakespeare has come up i can almost guarantee that it will come up this time

probably in Q2
    I think you are very likely right, not necessarily in Q2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_law25)
    I think this has already been covered BUT just to make sure - structure, form and language don't have to be separated into succinct paragraphs do they?

For example - Intro (themes) - structure - form - wider reading and form - language - wider reading and structure - end

The above would be generic and advised against, compared to an essay that explored other areas other than the 'stricter' definitions of SFL e.g. characterisation, lexis, etc etc?
    Read my earlier posts.

ReputationRep:
    Just looked at June '10 paper. I did not understand the Marvell AT ALL, and even the Shakespeare was quite difficult, and I usually get on well with William lol. this is rather worrying, I don't want to spend the whole time just simply trying to UNDERSTAND what the hell these writers are going on about!

Thanks to those who replied to my earlier posts by the way, xx

ReputationRep:
    Just looked at June '10 paper. I did not understand the Marvell AT ALL, and even the Shakespeare was quite difficult, and I usually get on well with William lol. this is rather worrying, I don't want to spend the whole time just simply trying to UNDERSTAND what the hell these writers are going on about!

Don't forget that the exam board recommend that your time be split into 1 hour for reading/planning and then 45 minutes per question. Even if you don't understand straight up, there's plenty of time to read through

ReputationRep:

There's no doubt it was a very daunting paper indeed. However, our students did very well on it and I think the board must have revised its expectations downwards a bit once they saw what the students did in the actual exam. (Remember this was the first paper for this syllabus, so they didn't really have much sense of the level until students sat it.) We didn't enter anyone for the January module, figuring you're just not ready at that stage, but the paper was pretty similar, so I think you should expect something very like it this time. However, as I've said elsewhere, everyone is sitting the same paper and facing the same difficulties and they will adjust the grade boundaries to make the same proportion of A*s etc as usual, so try not to be thrown by it. You'll be able to say things about it once the adrenalin gets flowing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pthaos)
    Don't forget that the exam board recommend that your time be split into 1 hour for reading/planning and then 45 minutes per question. Even if you don't understand straight up, there's plenty of time to read through
    Yes, you absolutely should NOT expect to start writing straight away. Planning is crucial and you'll get nowhere without understanding the extracts, which means reading them AT LEAST twice each.

ReputationRep:
    how is everyone doing on the alternative interpretations?

ReputationRep:
    So I was wondering other peoples views on this idea, would it be stupid for in the first hour (before writing an answer for either of the texts) to just maybe try and annotate the text's from both questions then write two answers with the hour and half left, or is that a crazy way to go about it?

I mean't to ask my teacher today, but it slipped my mind.

P.S Does any one have any advice on how to make a plan, I seriously do not know where to start on plans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bexygoteaten)
    So I was wondering other peoples views on this idea, would it be stupid for in the first hour (before writing an answer for either of the texts) to just maybe try and annotate the text's from both questions then write two answers with the hour and half left, or is that a crazy way to go about it?

That's exactly how the exam board SUGGEST you should do it, 1 hour of total planning, annotating and reading.

Personally, I think I'll only spend about 30-45 minutes doing this, to allow me some spare time incase I want to expand on anything extra. But the hour is there for planning and it really depends on what comes up to dictate how you feel confident spending your time

ReputationRep:
    Pthaos you're so clever

ReputationRep:
    i feel like i am going to cry.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any idea what can be picked out in structure for drama?
    i can't think of anything :/
    i have all the form and language stuff pretty much like characterisation, settings, literary techniques, but i really don't know what to include for the structure element

I'm so freaking out for this exam, i hope they're kind to us!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashleighwhitehouse)
    i feel like i am going to cry.
    SNAP! i'm actually so nervous for the exam!! i don't know what more i can do towards it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.