Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I often hear the argument that guns should be legal because we have a right to "defend" ourselves. But this doesn't seem to make any sense?

A gun is a weapon for attack, not a for defence. How are you supposed to defend yourself with a gun, against someone else who has a gun? Are you meant to shoot at their bullet and knock it off course or something? If you want to defend yourself, you can get yourself a bulletproof vest; it'll protect you from bullets better than any gun will.
    Haha very good point! Although they do say attack is the best form of defence,

ReputationRep:
    You know those who carry firearms are 4.5 more likely to be shot and 4.2 more likely to be killed than those unarmed, right?

Quit trollin'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hardballer)
    theres more than 3 countries in the world, compare all of them and you'll see theres no correlation between legal gun ownership and gun deaths, you're just cherry picking to make your point
    The model you want is closest to the US, as is our culture. We are nothing like Switzerland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)

The United States is basically the Godwin's Law of gun politics. Gun ownership rates, internationally, do not correlate directly with gun crime, so kindly stop pretending they do based on a frightfully concise study of... oh, two countries.
    As I have said, we're closest to the States in culture, I see the States' situation as our most likely outcome. We already have a range of other social problems shared with them which countries with a better record of gun ownership vs deaths lack.

Do you believe we would see a fall in shootings if we relaxed gun control?

ReputationRep:
    The 'right to bear arms' is outdated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I often hear the argument that guns should be legal because we have a right to "defend" ourselves. But this doesn't seem to make any sense?

A gun is a weapon for attack, not a for defence. How are you supposed to defend yourself with a gun, against someone else who has a gun? Are you meant to shoot at their bullet and knock it off course or something? If you want to defend yourself, you can get yourself a bulletproof vest; it'll protect you from bullets better than any gun will.
    Seriously the comments just get better and better on this thread, a kevlar vest might stop a 9mm, but not a rifle, he can just keep shooting and shooting until you die or he can shoot you in the head, thus you need a way of stopping the threat, your logic is that we should just equip soldiers on peacekepping missions with bulletproof armour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    The 'right to bear arms' is outdated.
    The right to bear arms is essential in a free state, look at all the nations in the world that have been disarmed systimatically by the government and then...genocide. The holocaust, khmer rouge, stalin. All had one thing in common and that is they all brought in gun control laws before commiting their massacres. Look at the bigger picture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    You know those who carry firearms are 4.5 more likely to be shot and 4.2 more likely to be killed than those unarmed, right?

Quit trollin'
    No I didn't know that, maybe I'm 10.28575738474 times more likely to win in attack if I'm armed rather than unarmed.
    Maybe your 4.67354 times more likely to want it in the ass if your boyfriend gets you tipsy beforehand, who knows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    As I have said, we're closest to the States in culture, I see the States' situation as our most likely outcome. We already have a range of other social problems shared with them which countries with a better record of gun ownership vs deaths lack.

Do you believe we would see a fall in shootings if we relaxed gun control?
    I like the united states and far more people die in motor accidents over there than guns.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly? As much as I think it would be a good idea for everyone to have guns in case the state decides that it's time to break out the tear gas, the prospect of giving idiots the legal right to bear firearms does not fill me with enthusiasm for the concept.

And it is a fact that there is both less gun crime and murders per capita, by quite a long way, in the UK than in the US.

ReputationRep:
    The right to bear arms is essential in a free state, look at all the nations in the world that have been disarmed systimatically by the government and then...genocide. The holocaust, khmer rouge, stalin. All had one thing in common and that is they all brought in gun control laws before commiting their massacres. Look at the bigger picture
    Last time I checked the UK Government hasn't mass-murdered hundreds of it's civilians despite Gun Laws being in place for years. Same for almost all of Western Europe.

ReputationRep:
    I like the united states and far more people die in motor accidents over there than guns.
    In that case, drivers in the USA must be abysmal as the death rate from gunshot wounds is horrendous.

Why don't you emigrate to the USA? It will, after all, give you the opportunity to blast away to your heart's content among like-minded people and still get a decent military burial.

ReputationRep:
    No I didn't know that, maybe I'm 10.28575738474 times more likely to win in attack if I'm armed rather than unarmed.
    You'd be more likely to be killed by your assailant with your own weapon actually. Or to have your children die when playing with the gun.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your 4.67354 times more likely to want it in the ass if your boyfriend gets you tipsy beforehand, who knows

Is this basically the crux of your argument then? "We should all have guns because I hate queers."?

This thread was even more laughable than the last one. Go troll elsewhere, idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I'd settle for defensive weapons being legalised here.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't change something without a gun, you're not smart enough to deserve such a change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Is this basically the crux of your argument then? "We should all have guns because I hate queers."?

This thread was even more laughable than the last one. Go troll elsewhere, idiot.
    Hey tell me where I said I hated them?

ReputationRep:
    Keep Grand Theft Auto on PS3 and OFF our streets! Gun laws work in America because that seems to be a part of their culture, but it wouldn't work here. We'd get a lot more shootings like this with relaxed gun laws. No, thank you :noway:

ReputationRep:
    Terrible troll is terrible.

0/10

I don't know why nobody else called you out. All your posts in the entire thread stink of troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You'd be more likely to be killed by your assailant with your own weapon actually.
    No.......you're not. you can stop quoting the gun control network now as I've heard them all before and they have an agenda

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.