The Student Room Group

For all you anti gun hoplophobes on here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by tazarooni89
I often hear the argument that guns should be legal because we have a right to "defend" ourselves. But this doesn't seem to make any sense?

A gun is a weapon for attack, not a for defence. How are you supposed to defend yourself with a gun, against someone else who has a gun? Are you meant to shoot at their bullet and knock it off course or something? If you want to defend yourself, you can get yourself a bulletproof vest; it'll protect you from bullets better than any gun will.

Haha very good point! Although they do say attack is the best form of defence,
You know those who carry firearms are 4.5 more likely to be shot and 4.2 more likely to be killed than those unarmed, right?

Quit trollin'
Reply 62
Original post by Hardballer
theres more than 3 countries in the world, compare all of them and you'll see theres no correlation between legal gun ownership and gun deaths, you're just cherry picking to make your point

The model you want is closest to the US, as is our culture. We are nothing like Switzerland.
Reply 63
Original post by L i b

The United States is basically the Godwin's Law of gun politics. Gun ownership rates, internationally, do not correlate directly with gun crime, so kindly stop pretending they do based on a frightfully concise study of... oh, two countries.

As I have said, we're closest to the States in culture, I see the States' situation as our most likely outcome. We already have a range of other social problems shared with them which countries with a better record of gun ownership vs deaths lack.

Do you believe we would see a fall in shootings if we relaxed gun control?
Reply 64
Original post by tazarooni89
I often hear the argument that guns should be legal because we have a right to "defend" ourselves. But this doesn't seem to make any sense?

A gun is a weapon for attack, not a for defence. How are you supposed to defend yourself with a gun, against someone else who has a gun? Are you meant to shoot at their bullet and knock it off course or something? If you want to defend yourself, you can get yourself a bulletproof vest; it'll protect you from bullets better than any gun will.

Seriously the comments just get better and better on this thread, a kevlar vest might stop a 9mm, but not a rifle, he can just keep shooting and shooting until you die or he can shoot you in the head, thus you need a way of stopping the threat, your logic is that we should just equip soldiers on peacekepping missions with bulletproof armour.
Reply 65
The right to bear arms is essential in a free state, look at all the nations in the world that have been disarmed systimatically by the government and then...genocide. The holocaust, khmer rouge, stalin. All had one thing in common and that is they all brought in gun control laws before commiting their massacres. Look at the bigger picture
Reply 66
Original post by RollerBall
You know those who carry firearms are 4.5 more likely to be shot and 4.2 more likely to be killed than those unarmed, right?

Quit trollin'

No I didn't know that, maybe I'm 10.28575738474 times more likely to win in attack if I'm armed rather than unarmed.
Maybe your 4.67354 times more likely to want it in the ass if your boyfriend gets you tipsy beforehand, who knows
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Apagg
As I have said, we're closest to the States in culture, I see the States' situation as our most likely outcome. We already have a range of other social problems shared with them which countries with a better record of gun ownership vs deaths lack.

Do you believe we would see a fall in shootings if we relaxed gun control?

I like the united states and far more people die in motor accidents over there than guns.
Honestly? As much as I think it would be a good idea for everyone to have guns in case the state decides that it's time to break out the tear gas, the prospect of giving idiots the legal right to bear firearms does not fill me with enthusiasm for the concept.

And it is a fact that there is both less gun crime and murders per capita, by quite a long way, in the UK than in the US.
I like the united states and far more people die in motor accidents over there than guns.

In that case, drivers in the USA must be abysmal as the death rate from gunshot wounds is horrendous.

Why don't you emigrate to the USA? It will, after all, give you the opportunity to blast away to your heart's content among like-minded people and still get a decent military burial.
No I didn't know that, maybe I'm 10.28575738474 times more likely to win in attack if I'm armed rather than unarmed.

You'd be more likely to be killed by your assailant with your own weapon actually. Or to have your children die when playing with the gun.
Reply 71
Maybe your 4.67354 times more likely to want it in the ass if your boyfriend gets you tipsy beforehand, who knows

Is this basically the crux of your argument then? "We should all have guns because I hate queers."?

This thread was even more laughable than the last one. Go troll elsewhere, idiot.
I'd settle for defensive weapons being legalised here.
Reply 73
If you can't change something without a gun, you're not smart enough to deserve such a change.
Reply 74
Original post by py0alb
Is this basically the crux of your argument then? "We should all have guns because I hate queers."?

This thread was even more laughable than the last one. Go troll elsewhere, idiot.

Hey tell me where I said I hated them?
Keep Grand Theft Auto on PS3 and OFF our streets! Gun laws work in America because that seems to be a part of their culture, but it wouldn't work here. We'd get a lot more shootings like this with relaxed gun laws. No, thank you :noway:

Terrible troll is terrible.

0/10

I don't know why nobody else called you out. All your posts in the entire thread stink of troll.
Reply 77
Original post by Good bloke
You'd be more likely to be killed by your assailant with your own weapon actually.

No.......you're not. you can stop quoting the gun control network now as I've heard them all before and they have an agenda
they have an agenda

And you don't?
Reply 79
Original post by Good bloke
And you don't?

I don't bend the facts to promote mine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending