The Student Room Group

New technical certificates (intermediate/advanced)mech and elec engineering

Does anybody else agree that once I complete the NVQ2 PEO2 in mechanical engineering that I should go straight on to level 3 rather than take the progression route my tutor has recomended that is do the new technical certificate scheme that is made up of various units to make up a modern apprenticeship for a year and take gcse's because he believes its the best progression route to university for me.
The reason I say this is because im 18 and want to go to university, I turn 19 in November and would prefer not to have to pay for the level 3 course to gain entry and have debts before going to university. My tutor said that the goverment will pay for the course even after I turn 19 because its my first level 3 qualification but I understand (correct me if im wrong) that they will only pay if its your first level 3 if you havent already got a level 2? :confused:
I want to become an aeronautical engineer but I havent got any qualifications apart from the nvq2 that im working towards even tho I have the potential to get grades A*-C in maths and english at gcse I dont see the point in spending a year studying for them when i can progress onto the national diploma in operations and maintenance for 2 years which is equivalent to 3 A-levels that will gain me entry to university.
If you understand where im coming from then please tell me your opinion, am I right in thinking this? or should I take my tutors advice and look for a work placement in the mean time? and will the new technical certificate even give me a chance of progressing further? because i cant find any information on it.
Reply 1
If I was you and it is possible for you to do so, I would strongly suggest going down the A-Level route if you can.

A-Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Physics are by far and away the best route into doing an Aeronautical Engineering degree.

I am not sure why schools are now pushing these new fangled qualifications so hard over the core GCSE subjects, they are doing it at my daughters school too.

I am a mature student currently on an Access course going to study Mech Engineering in September. Uni's really really do prefer A-Levels over everything else.

So hopefully in answer to your question, do GCSE's and really aim for at least an A in maths and then do A-Levels. Do well in those you will be able to apply for the best Uni's for Aeronautical and stand a very good chance at getting in.

The best people to advise you are the universities themselves. Ring the admissions at the likes of Imperial College London (possibly the best in the UK for Aeronautical), Cambridge, Southampton, Loughborough, Kingston (they have a very strong Aerospace course).

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending