The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nafisa
The labour government is so hypocritical if we believe in equality in education surely we should abolish independant schools, does this not make sense?

No.
Reply 2
An infinitely better idea would be to improve the standard of the "bog-standard comprehensives", rather than get rid of schools which are successful.
Reply 3
I think Grammer schools should be included in all councils but I think taking the 11+ should be an option for those who want to go to grammer schools.

Some comprehensive schools cannot be improved to be honest.
Reply 4
Joey_Johns
No.

why not... expansion please
Nafisa
why not... expansion please

Public schools provide extremely important people within the country. If removed this stem would stop. Public schools need lots of funding to upkeep their facilities etc, which would not be provided by the government.

The list is endless. The simple answer is no.
Reply 6
state schools should be raised to a similar standard. However, thats never going to happen
Reply 7
amazingtrade
I think Grammer schools should be included in all councils but I think taking the 11+ should be an option for those who want to go to grammer schools.

Some comprehensive schools cannot be improved to be honest.

Not with the existence of Grammars, anyway.
Reply 8
Joey_Johns
Public schools provide extremely important people within the country. If removed this stem would stop. Public schools need lots of funding to upkeep their facilities etc, which would not be provided by the government.

The list is endless. The simple answer is no.

so people that go to public schools are more important? :confused:
Reply 9
Consider the resources available being shared between the two sectors. People paying for private schools will always be able to outbid the state sector for the best resources. Which rather suggests that the state sector will never be able to match the private sector for quality of education, until the private sector isn't on the scene.
amazingtrade
so people that go to public schools are more important? :confused:

No but they often produce more important people. It might not be fair but thats life.
fishpaste
Consider the resources available being shared between the two sectors. People paying for private schools will always be able to outbid the state sector for the best resources. Which rather suggests that the state sector will never be able to match the private sector for quality of education, until the private sector isn't on the scene.

In which case many of Britans fine buildings will go to ruin as ghetto 'townies' are let into ex public schools. No thankyou.
Reply 12
Joey_Johns
No but they often produce more important people. It might not be fair but thats life.

Most of them are a bunch of spoilt brats with over inflated ego's about their own self importance.
Reply 13
jammyd
Most of them are a bunch of spoilt brats with over inflated ego's about their own self importance.

Although this is sometimes true, it is a gross misrepresentation of the truth.
Reply 14
Bigcnee

So you do not agree with me that labours commitment to social justice should extend to the education field
Nafisa
So you do not agree with me that labours commitment to social justice should extend to the education field

LAbour is mostly run by ex-public school or selective school MP's. What do you think?
Reply 16
Joey_Johns
In which case many of Britans fine buildings will go to ruin as ghetto 'townies' are let into ex public schools. No thankyou.

You're absolutely, completely, and utterly, off your rocker.
Reply 17
Joey_Johns
LAbour is mostly run by ex-public school or selective school MP's. What do you think?

Yes, but how old are these people! The system was different back then.

Ben
Reply 18
Bigcnee

I was replying to Mr John's;

'In which case many of Britans fine buildings will go to ruin as ghetto 'townies' are let into ex public schools. No thankyou'

Is he suggesting that in Britain we have either rich people, or ghetto 'townies'.

Britain's fine buildings?
Reply 19
Ben.S.
Yes, but how old are these people! The system was different back then.

Ben

Im just owndering why independant schools shouldnt be abolished if we stand a chance as a nation to have equality!!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending