This discussion is closed.
Nafisa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
The labour government is so hypocritical if we believe in equality in education surely we should abolish independant schools, does this not make sense?
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nafisa)
The labour government is so hypocritical if we believe in equality in education surely we should abolish independant schools, does this not make sense?
No.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
An infinitely better idea would be to improve the standard of the "bog-standard comprehensives", rather than get rid of schools which are successful.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think Grammer schools should be included in all councils but I think taking the 11+ should be an option for those who want to go to grammer schools.

Some comprehensive schools cannot be improved to be honest.
Nafisa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
No.
why not... expansion please
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
why not... expansion please
Public schools provide extremely important people within the country. If removed this stem would stop. Public schools need lots of funding to upkeep their facilities etc, which would not be provided by the government.

The list is endless. The simple answer is no.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
state schools should be raised to a similar standard. However, thats never going to happen
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I think Grammer schools should be included in all councils but I think taking the 11+ should be an option for those who want to go to grammer schools.

Some comprehensive schools cannot be improved to be honest.
Not with the existence of Grammars, anyway.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Public schools provide extremely important people within the country. If removed this stem would stop. Public schools need lots of funding to upkeep their facilities etc, which would not be provided by the government.

The list is endless. The simple answer is no.
so people that go to public schools are more important? :confused:
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Consider the resources available being shared between the two sectors. People paying for private schools will always be able to outbid the state sector for the best resources. Which rather suggests that the state sector will never be able to match the private sector for quality of education, until the private sector isn't on the scene.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
so people that go to public schools are more important? :confused:
No but they often produce more important people. It might not be fair but thats life.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Consider the resources available being shared between the two sectors. People paying for private schools will always be able to outbid the state sector for the best resources. Which rather suggests that the state sector will never be able to match the private sector for quality of education, until the private sector isn't on the scene.
In which case many of Britans fine buildings will go to ruin as ghetto 'townies' are let into ex public schools. No thankyou.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No but they often produce more important people. It might not be fair but thats life.
Most of them are a bunch of spoilt brats with over inflated ego's about their own self importance.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
Most of them are a bunch of spoilt brats with over inflated ego's about their own self importance.
Although this is sometimes true, it is a gross misrepresentation of the truth.
Nafisa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bigcnee)
So you do not agree with me that labours commitment to social justice should extend to the education field
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So you do not agree with me that labours commitment to social justice should extend to the education field
LAbour is mostly run by ex-public school or selective school MP's. What do you think?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In which case many of Britans fine buildings will go to ruin as ghetto 'townies' are let into ex public schools. No thankyou.

You're absolutely, completely, and utterly, off your rocker.
Ben.S.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
LAbour is mostly run by ex-public school or selective school MP's. What do you think?
Yes, but how old are these people! The system was different back then.

Ben
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I was replying to Mr John's;

'In which case many of Britans fine buildings will go to ruin as ghetto 'townies' are let into ex public schools. No thankyou'

Is he suggesting that in Britain we have either rich people, or ghetto 'townies'.

Britain's fine buildings?
Nafisa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben.S.)
Yes, but how old are these people! The system was different back then.

Ben
Im just owndering why independant schools shouldnt be abolished if we stand a chance as a nation to have equality!!!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads