The Student Room Group

Ucas application for gap year students

Currently doing a gap year and was wondering whether it’s necessary to submit my application via my college in order to get references from my teachers.

Got A*AA and applying to semi competitive unis like Durham, UCL and Exeter
Reply 1
I applied as a mature student making it a pretty similar situation. I chose individual but it's completely up to you. You'd have to contact your school's counselor to check if your school would allow it. If not, you can choose the individual route and have any teacher of yours as an independent reference which is a straight-forward process. Personally, I'd recommend the individual route as most schools tend to decide who your reference comes from whether that's a blend of multiple teachers who taught or the counselor themselves whereas an independent reference will give you the reassurance of who's writing your reference. I knew my English teacher loved me and I did well in her class so I could guarantee a decent reference that way rather than letting my school decide. Good luck!
Original post by rHitchy
Currently doing a gap year and was wondering whether it’s necessary to submit my application via my college in order to get references from my teachers.

Got A*AA and applying to semi competitive unis like Durham, UCL and Exeter

You need an academic reference so you do need to contact your college. Alternatively, if you know which teacher produced a reference for you in year 13, contact them directly.
Reply 3
Its much easier of you apply through your last school college - but you don't have to.
Just remember to contact your intended referee before you add them to your UCAS application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending