The Student Room Group

A-Levels you regretted taking.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Evanesyne
But whhhyyy....I had a look at the A2 books and died inside at the amount of things you'd have to memorise. I'm more of a understand & apply person rather than plain memorise.
I ace the topics that I find interesting (stress & memory), fail at the ones are that dull, and ends up with an average grade :closedeyes: so I can't even take A2 because it's not that easy for me :s-smilie:

And good choice :wink:

Well, also because i'm worried that if i just have 4 subjects next year then i'll just be really bored (i already wish i could do more :s-smilie: ), but i'm not sure, i'll decide eventually :wink:

:smile: i'm suuuure you'll come out with much more than just an average grade! :biggrin:
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Did you have fun though?

Not particularly. There's only so much fun you can have writing about a lack of vertical integration in the British film industry.
Reply 262
A level shotting really..
I didnt lnow nitties will be belling ma line in the middle of the night for abit charley
other than that nothing
Original post by screenager2004
Not particularly. There's only so much fun you can have writing about a lack of vertical integration in the British film industry.

D: I did media studies AS instead of English Lit GCSE and it was so much fun, I got awarded 116/120 in the coursework for PLAYING WITH LEGO and we got to watch films 8 lessons a fortnight and in the exam, brilliant. So even though the A Level really isn't worthwile as a qualification, it was really fun for me, definitely my favourite lesson in year 11. Did you take media studies to A2?
Great username btw
Psychology. So much hate for that subject. Nothing to do with what I want to do. Wish I took law.
French. Don't get me wrong i love the language but i found the step up from GCSE to A level ridicolous. I was gutted with my grade though as i put in so much effort..
Chemistry. Much harder than GCSE!
Reply 267
Government and politcs :angry:
Reply 268
Original post by hoopyfrood199
Ahhh, if only A2 and AS coursework was swapped around, I'm just finishing writing a screenplay for coursework :rolleyes:

Whatttt? You get to write a screenplay for your coursework? I spoke to some people about their film coursework at A2 and they said that they had to make a film? Could vary in the country?
Original post by DLJ
Whatttt? You get to write a screenplay for your coursework? I spoke to some people about their film coursework at A2 and they said that they had to make a film? Could vary in the country?

Nooo, you get a choice between three things. Filmmaking, Screenwriting and some step outline thing. You can do which ever you like!
Art & Design. Wtf. Just wtf.
Reply 271
as only allowed to do 3 a levels so 2nd year I couldnt drop anything..regret choosing sociology since i suck at it but cant drop it :L
Reply 272
Further Maths, my school didn't do it so I could've gotten away with not doing it and focusing my time on achieving good grades in my other A-levels...but I insisted on doing it anyway as a self-taught A-level (with some extra help from school), which meant me doing my Maths A-level in 1 year and that took my attention away from my other A-levels causing me to slip low enough to miss my firm and insurance offers. It cost me big! Not to mention I failed miserably in Further Maths so I didn't even get something good out of it!

That said, the little bit that I'd learned from it did help make first year uni maths go much more smoothly as lots of familiar topics popped up.
Reply 273
English Lit and I haven't even finished the course yet! Wished I took something else now as poetry just takes the biscuit.
Further Maths. The nightmare. And I'm avoiding it.....so I haven't revised it yet. Urgh.
Reply 275
Chemistry and maths
failed maths and just scrapped by in chemistry as did no work for AS
but now up to a C in chemistry as had to carry it on for A-level
you guys have all made me really scared of A-Levels now! D:
I regret taking all of my A Levels, partially due to the lessons themselves and the teachers/school.

I originally took A Level Business, ICT and Maths (Statistics)

Dropped out of Maths after 2 weeks because I was the only one who didn't get an A at GCSE (missed it by 2 marks) in that lesson and so the teacher kept treating me like a dumbass every time I asked a simple question, whereas the other A students could ask any question even if it was something really easy and she'd treat them ok.
She always spoke slowly and dragged her words out when talking to me, it was really patronising and it was so difficult for me to not tell her to stop being a b*tch and just help me.

I ended up replacing it with Biology (AS Only) because my head of sixth form didn't want me to take just two, in fact, he wanted me to take 4, but I know I can't manage with 4, so I stuck to 3 :biggrin:

Business, though the content is really easy, and I understand everything the exam section teacher tells me (We have 2 teachers for it, 1 for the exam side, and 1 for the portfolios), I can't motivate myself to do the 2nd portfolio of the AS bit :frown:

No one in our class knows what we're supposed to be doing for every section in that portfolio.

I handed in 48 pages of coursework (Oh sorry, *Portfolio, she actually once went on for half a lesson about how it is a portfolio, not coursework) and she took 2 weeks to mark it (She's semi-retired, teaches our class and a Year 13 class, she never marks their work either), so 2 weeks to mark it, and I get one tiny little yellow sticky note on the front saying: "Well done, you have worked hard, but you still have lots of gaps". I asked her about what was missing, since I'd done everything in my notes and my friends' notes, and she started shouting about how we are nothing, and always will be nothing unless we pass Business.

ICT, though I find IT interesting and would like a career in it, I can't concentrate in ICT due to all the print-screening, besides that, I've done literally everything, but now I have to go back and print-screen EVERYTHING, which means deleting the stuff I've done and redoing it whilst pressing prt sc every time I do something :frown:

Oh, and the 2nd teacher for ICT, I tried asking what we're doing for Unit 2 (Collaboration) and then she told me a 47minute story about how her colour-blind husband bought a pink carpet instead of a brown one...

I can safely say, if you're going to do A-Levels and you live in Norfolk, UK; DO NOT GO TO SMITHDON HIGH SCHOOL. Worst school ever.
Original post by Manitude
History -.-
Dropped after AS.
In hindsight I could have done my A levels differently and had more fun in the process.
Although, I might not have been as interested in geography if I had dropped it at AS...then on the other hand, A2 geography was pretty dire with the exception of one module (which I guess I could have sat in on out of interest in the subject)

Hehehe ur sig.... Just realised the answer was 69, you horny bastard.
Reply 279
Psychology, it wasn't ehat i expected. It has little to do with the brain at A level standard. Now don't think you do the more brain related topics until you approach it as a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest