The Student Room Group

Post Alevel people, whats one thing you regret

Post Alevel people, whats one thing you regret doing or not doing? I have done my mocks and i'm not feeling the slightest confidence. Any advice from january to exams?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hi @TomokoRainMaker!

I'm a second year university student but I can remember taking my A-Levels as if it was yesterday.

I'd say my biggest regret during my A-Levels was the stress that I placed onto myself. Unfortunately, A-Levels are considered as being the hardest exams that you have to take, and I found that to be true. I understand that you're not feeling overly confident about your exams but you still have several months to work on your subjects and you still have the opportunity to work on your grades if you choose to do so but placing stress onto yourself will only negatively impact you.

I would suggest that you tell your teachers or someone you trust at your college/sixth form rather than keeping your worries to yourself, it does massively help confiding in someone and they may be able to offer you advice that can help with your grades or just help you to feel more confident. I'm not sure if you are intending to go to university after your A-Levels, but if you are, try not to place too much stress onto yourself for the grades that they are wanting you to receive, universities will take into account how all the students did for that year and will adjust the grades that they initially asked for.

The most advantageous thing that you can do from now to your exams is create a balance between revising for each of your subjects and ensuring you are still having 'you time', many people find creating a timetable useful and you can dedicate certain periods of the week to each subject whilst still giving yourself time for yourself. You can also still experiment with revision techniques that may be beneficial for you to help you remember the content for your subjects, for example: I find flashcards and writing down things off the top of my head before looking at the answers and seeing what I've missed and continuously doing that until I remember everything to be really useful. At this moment in time you do not need to be revising consistently and you don't want to be as it'll only cause detrimental effects on your mental health and you may start feeling burnt out before your exams start.

Please try and not place too much stress onto yourself, and remember that no matter what grades you do receive at the end of your A-Levels they do not define you, and you are worth so much more. There are so many alternatives to get to where you want your future to go, and you will still be able to get there even if you don't receive high grades.

Good luck for your exams, you'll do great!! :smile:

Nicole
Second Year Law Student

Quick Reply

Latest