The Student Room Group

Introversion vs Extroversion: Its On

Poll

How would you describe your friends/romantic interests?

People on here often talk about introversion and shyness in positive ways, however it is arguable that society treats extroversion and sociability as positive traits.

The question is simple - what do you look for in friends and lovers. I dont necessarily mean consciously, just look at the type of people you are friends with / attracted to and see if they all fit a similar mold.

Poll live.
I want my friends/gfs to be themselves. So if they are introverted, I want them to act introverted instead of being "fake" and trying to be something they're not :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by soutioirsim
I want my friends/gfs to be themselves. So if they are introverted, I want them to act introverted instead of being "fake" and trying to be something they're not :smile:

This.
Reply 3

Repped you up for that. Both boys and girls should just be who they are, not what they want to be. It'll just lead to more problems in the future.
Reply 4

That is a lovely ideal. I would love it to be true.

Too bad society does not share your view.

If you are introverted, you will be walked all over in any department by the extroverted. To deny that is to deny reality.

That old chest-nut of "nice guys always finish last" has some truth to it...

Disclaimer: I would also rather people be themselves.
Original post by Alpharius
That is a lovely ideal. I would love it to be true.

Too bad society does not share your view.

If you are introverted, you will be walked all over in any department by the extroverted. To deny that is to deny reality.

That old chest-nut of "nice guys always finish last" has some truth to it...

Disclaimer: I would also rather people be themselves.

Except that being introverted (or for that matter extroverted) has nothing to do with being "nice", just to do with your comfortableness and confidence in social situations.

I think this is a bit of a straw man - it wasn't a question of "how would you like your existing friends to act" - to which of course the response should be "to be themselves" - the question instead was what kind of personalities are you attracted to subsconsciously. All your friends could be themselves and yet all be moderate extroverts too if that is something that you tend to be drawn to in friends.
Reply 7
Original post by HistoryRepeating
Except that being introverted (or for that matter extroverted) has nothing to do with being "nice", just to do with your comfortableness and confidence in social situations.

Given.

My point still stands. I only said there was some truth in that old phrase.
Reply 8
I like shy people, as i am shy myself.
Most of my friends are less extroverted than me, but I wish they weren't :frown:
Reply 10
They're mostly extrovert :smile: There are some introvert dudes, but it's not considered a good trait, most of the guys/girls in my school make fun of such people, which is wrong. I do want everyone to act naturally, and I like people who ain't fake, though neither I consider introversion a good trait.
I'm introverted but also shy & awkward as ****.

I liked being friends with extroverts because other people being open made it easier for me to come out of my shell.

Other introverts bug me because most often they're able to be like that but be happy still, unlike me with all the awkward bull**** I have, so I tend to get jealous and feel crappy around them.
Reply 12
high 5's to all of my fellow candle eaters
That middle one of comfortable with new people but prefer hanging out with just friends. Simply because that's how I am.

As for selecting friends/partners..I'd probably lean towards slightly introverted then overly extroverted, but hopefully not introverted because of actual problematic self esteem issues.
Reply 14
I get on better with introverted people (not the same as shy), because loud/in your face people that always want to talk, etc annoy me.
You don't have to talk the whole time if you're in a group.

Drama/theatre students etc are the perfect example of the kind of people that put me off.
Original post by No Man
I get on better with introverted people (not the same as shy), because loud/in your face people that always want to talk, etc annoy me.
You don't have to talk the whole time if you're in a group.

Drama/theatre students etc are the perfect example of the kind of people that put me off.

I especially agree with the last sentence.

That why in Britain, with all the cuts going on, the people whining most about it are those in the Arts sector. They get the publicity because they know how to get everyones attention.
In other words, people who are complete ****ers thinking they're great vs. people who are proper ****ing awkward. In extreme terms.
ANCHORMANNNN

I'm not going to lie, I wish I was quieter. I tend to come out with a lot of crap :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending