The Student Room Group

Postgraduate nursing :)

Hey, I've applied to study Arabic at uni because I didn't really have a strict idea about what I wanted to do...it seems like my mind changes from diplomatic service, to TEFL, to doing a law conversion...but now I've thought about maybe becoming a nurse.

My mum is a ward sister and I know its a well paid and interesting job, but from chatting to family friends who live in the UAE- it seems like a lot of nurses are attracted to places like Dubai....I've also thought about going into the army as a nurse because my language skills would come in handy. I definitely want children and a family- being a nurse would allow me to travel when I'm younger, but I can just come home and get a job in a hospital when I want that 'normal' family life...which is something that being a diplomat or a TEFL teacher wouldn't let me do.

I've done a quick google search about postgraduate nursing but the only courses I can find are like MA Specialized Nursing Studies and I can't actually find any 'conversion' courses. Do they exist? How much do they cost?
Reply 1
University of Nottingham do a 'conversion course' as you put it (they are known as Graduate Entry Nursing Courses).

You need to have a minimum of a 2:2 and 5 GCSEs A-C including maths and english. I believe that the degree has to have been an 'appropriate' one (biology etc) though from what was said on the open day I went to they ate pretty flexible on what is 'appropriate'. Not sure a language degree would be enough though.

If you are serious about joining the military as a trained nurse once qualified then the RAF (PMRAFNS) is considered by many as the best of the services to join. This is borne out by the large amount of QARANC nurses (Army) who rebadge to the RAF.

Its worth bearing in mind (and your mum will no doubt attest to this) that nursing is a vocation, not something to be entered into on a whim. If you truly believe you can do the training justice and have decided its definitely where you want to be then good luck.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending