The Student Room Group

Eligible for Postgraduate Loan and NHS Learning?

Hello,

I am studying for an MA in Social Work full-time. I have applied for a Postgraduate loan which is yet to be approved. Am I eligible to apply for the NHS learning support fund as well?
Original post by beloxxichic
Hello,

I am studying for an MA in Social Work full-time. I have applied for a Postgraduate loan which is yet to be approved. Am I eligible to apply for the NHS learning support fund as well?

Social work isn't one of the courses the NHS LSF supports. The following is quoted from the NHS LSF website:

"You can apply for NHS LSF if you're on one of the following pre-registration undergraduate or postgraduate courses:

dental therapy or dental hygiene (level 5 and 6 courses)
dietetics
midwifery
nursing (adult, child, mental health, learning disability, joint nursing, and social work)
occupational therapy
operating department practitioner (level 5 and 6 courses)
orthoptics
orthotics and prosthetics
paramedics (DipHE and FD courses are not eligible for NHS LSF)
physiotherapy
podiatry or chiropody
radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
speech and language therapy
Reply 2
Thanks

Original post by normaw
Social work isn't one of the courses the NHS LSF supports. The following is quoted from the NHS LSF website:

"You can apply for NHS LSF if you're on one of the following pre-registration undergraduate or postgraduate courses:

dietetics
midwifery
nursing (adult, child, mental health, learning disability, joint nursing, and social work)
occupational therapy
orthoptics
physiotherapy
podiatry or chiropody

Thanks
Original post by normaw

dietetics
midwifery
occupational therapy
orthoptics
physiotherapy
podiatry or chiropody

I don't want to appear rude but social work is definitely covered, the quote you posted literally says social work with the brackets next to nursing. However for the OP you cannot receive the postgraduate loan AND the LSF, its one or the other.
Original post by ALYSSAWILSON67
I don't want to appear rude but social work is definitely covered, the quote you posted literally says social work with the brackets next to nursing. However for the OP you cannot receive the postgraduate loan AND the LSF, its one or the other.

For the Learning Support Fund, my understanding regarding the reference to social work in brackets is for joint nursing and social work courses. The NHS Business Services Authority provides a separate Social Work Bursary for undergraduate and postgraduate students. The funding available through this is different to what is available through the NHS LSF.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/social-work-students
NHS LSF is only available for those pursuing the joint nursing and social work course. NHS has a separate bursary available for students pursuing social work, though individual eligibility is assessed from case to case. However, external financial support from independent loan institutions is also a great option to consider. There are several banks and NBFCs where you can apply for a loan.

To avoid waiting for approval or rejection, make sure to check your education loan eligibility. Furthermore, to make informed financial decisions, calculate EMIs beforehand by using an education loan EMI calculator, so you can choose the most affordable loan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending