The Student Room Group

Accomodation at Queens

I have just confirmed Queens as my first choice, and i am thinking of applying to Elm's village. I visited the Halls at the open day in September and they seem really nice, but i would like to hear from anyone living there at the minute about what they are really like, i have heard that hairdryers/straightners don't work in the bedrooms for example, and what is the internet connections like?
any help would be much appriciated :smile:
Reply 1
Hey :smile:
I lived in Elms last year and was really worried about all the things i heard about straighteners etc! But it was completely fine, as long as you don't overload you sockets you should be fine, my GHDs worked fine all year, as did my hairdryer.
Internet connection: Elms haven't quite discovered the wonders of wi-fi yet :P so you still have the internet cable, its long enough to stretch to your bed so you don't need to just sit at the desk. It can be a bit tempermental at times, but usually its not too bad. I downloaded a lot of tv shows and films and it was a decent speed.
Reply 2
Thank you so much! Did you like the people that were living with you?
Reply 3
Well, out of 11 people, i liked 6 and disliked the other 4.
But i disliked those 4 waaaaay more then i like the others lol.
By what i hear of other people's experiences, i think i was just really unlucky to get some proper ***** in my flat.
Reply 4
Where do postgrads usually live?
Reply 5
Original post by Daniel1987
Where do postgrads usually live?

From the few postgrads i've met, most live in either private accommodation around the uni area, or else Guthrie House, which is down the side of the Student's Union. There may be a few in Elms but i wouldn't have thought there would be many. The Queen's website might have a bit more info.
Reply 6
Original post by Poke
From the few postgrads i've met, most live in either private accommodation around the uni area, or else Guthrie House, which is down the side of the Student's Union. There may be a few in Elms but i wouldn't have thought there would be many. The Queen's website might have a bit more info.

It really doesnt give much post-grad specific info. I was looking at Elms on the website and thinking it looked quite good, in terms of location, and pub/restaurant on the premises. But from reading more its probably not suited to me, at 23 years old I'd probably be too old :P
I actually thought Queens accommodation looked rather expensive, considering some private accommodation in South Belfast is like £180 a month. Decisions decisions.
Reply 7

I actually thought Queens accommodation looked rather expensive, considering some private accommodation in South Belfast is like £180 a month. Decisions decisions.

It is extortion like :P especially for what you're getting in Elms. I think Guthrie is slightly cheaper, and the rooms and kitchens are a lot nicer. Plus its right next to the Union, and the uni.
You could always look about renting a room in a house somewhere, a lot cheaper in the long run.
Think it's more to do with maturity than age :P There are plenty of undergrads who act like children, and i am genuinely taken aback when they say they're 25+.
But whatever you think would suit you best.

It might be worth your while giving the accommodation team a ring and see what else is on offer. I know they have some nice places on Mount Charles which i'm pretty sure might for postgrads...
It really doesnt give much post-grad specific info. I was looking at Elms on the website and thinking it looked quite good, in terms of location, and pub/restaurant on the premises. But from reading more its probably not suited to me, at 23 years old I'd probably be too old :P

I was at queens last year year and I lived in Elms, and at 21 I was too old for it. Its great for freshers but after that you'll want to live somewhere else. Also the pub in elms is not really very good and the restaurant food is cheap but really terrible tasting. I'm going back next year and I've signed up for Mount Charles, it is by far the best in my opinion.
Reply 9

I'm in pretty much the same situation (23 too). From the quick scouting I did on http://www.nistudentpad.co.uk/ even rooms in the Botanic area offered way cheaper rates than the Uni accommodation. Does anyone know if house hunting classifieds, looking for extra housemates, are available online anywhere? I'm visiting in July and it'd be nice to look at some houses rather than aimlessly wander around.
Reply 10
Original post by Poke
It is extortion like :P especially for what you're getting in Elms. I think Guthrie is slightly cheaper, and the rooms and kitchens are a lot nicer. Plus its right next to the Union, and the uni.
You could always look about renting a room in a house somewhere, a lot cheaper in the long run.
Think it's more to do with maturity than age :P There are plenty of undergrads who act like children, and i am genuinely taken aback when they say they're 25+.
But whatever you think would suit you best.

It might be worth your while giving the accommodation team a ring and see what else is on offer. I know they have some nice places on Mount Charles which i'm pretty sure might for postgrads...

Thanks, i'll look in to this.
Reply 11
Original post by Bennus
I'm in pretty much the same situation (23 too). From the quick scouting I did on http://www.nistudentpad.co.uk/ even rooms in the Botanic area offered way cheaper rates than the Uni accommodation. Does anyone know if house hunting classifieds, looking for extra housemates, are available online anywhere? I'm visiting in July and it'd be nice to look at some houses rather than aimlessly wander around.

Youre doing postgrad too?

Ironically enough I am also in Leeds at the minute.

I'll have another gander on that NIstudentpad, I wasnt overly impressed with the number of flats they had available last time i checked, I found the standard letting websites had a greater selection.
I've a friend from Belfast who I'm gonna get to scoure (sp?) the local press for private ads too.
Reply 12
Youre doing postgrad too?

Ironically enough I am also in Leeds at the minute.

I'll have another gander on that NIstudentpad, I wasnt overly impressed with the number of flats they had available last time i checked, I found the standard letting websites had a greater selection.
I've a friend from Belfast who I'm gonna get to scoure (sp?) the local press for private ads too.

You have an inside contact, nice! :wink:

Yeah, I'll be starting a PhD in september. Would be good to find a postgrad house, but I'll have to rely on replying to ads (or hope my department can point me in the right direction). If only the students union had an online board/forum for this exact thing.

Also I've been browsing through gumtree, but annoyingly no one seems to put up any more than 1 photo, and unless I'm being stupid it doesn't look like you can even rank them by price (or anything other than 'date added').
Reply 13
Original post by Bennus
You have an inside contact, nice! :wink:

Yeah, I'll be starting a PhD in september. Would be good to find a postgrad house, but I'll have to rely on replying to ads (or hope my department can point me in the right direction). If only the students union had an online board/forum for this exact thing.

Also I've been browsing through gumtree, but annoyingly no one seems to put up any more than 1 photo, and unless I'm being stupid it doesn't look like you can even rank them by price (or anything other than 'date added').

Gumtree is pretty rubbish, and I dont find the "per week" costs helpful at all, for one thing my mind works in monthly costs, and 2) the monthly costs they ask for are usually more than the weekly cost advertised multiplied by four.
Reply 14
Original post by Poke
Hey :smile:
I lived in Elms last year and was really worried about all the things i heard about straighteners etc! But it was completely fine, as long as you don't overload you sockets you should be fine, my GHDs worked fine all year, as did my hairdryer.
Internet connection: Elms haven't quite discovered the wonders of wi-fi yet :P so you still have the internet cable, its long enough to stretch to your bed so you don't need to just sit at the desk. It can be a bit tempermental at times, but usually its not too bad. I downloaded a lot of tv shows and films and it was a decent speed.

Hey, do you know how to apply for accomodation??
Because it says online application is only open in June @.@
Reply 15
Hi just as some advice for those of you who are coming over on your own but don't want to go to EV for whatever reason.

I found various websites, they aren't fantastic by any means as they don't contain very many ads, that advertise available rooms in private accommodation. They're handy in that they advertise room only properties in houses with other students and will give details about the occupants (gender, age, year of study etc). You can also post your own ad letting people know you're looking for a room so they can contact you.

These are the few that I've came accross:
www.flatmateclick.com
www.roombuddies.com
www.spareroom.co.uk
uk.easyroommate.com
www.flatshare.com

There are others out there too but I found those the best, good luck in finding somewhere! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by coffee345
Hey, do you know how to apply for accomodation??
Because it says online application is only open in June @.@

Hey, QUB website currently says applications will be up and running from 'early may' so i would just keep checking the website or they might send you out an email, not exactly sure. All applications should be online ones, website says paper applications will only be accepted in special circumstances.
Just keep checking the website and i'm sure it won't be too long.
Reply 17
Original post by DervlaLFC
Hi just as some advice for those of you who are coming over on your own but don't want to go to EV for whatever reason.

I found various websites, they aren't fantastic by any means as they don't contain very many ads, that advertise available rooms in private accommodation. They're handy in that they advertise room only properties in houses with other students and will give details about the occupants (gender, age, year of study etc). You can also post your own ad letting people know you're looking for a room so they can contact you.

These are the few that I've came accross:
www.flatmateclick.com
www.roombuddies.com
www.spareroom.co.uk
uk.easyroommate.com
www.flatshare.com

There are others out there too but I found those the best, good luck in finding somewhere! :smile:

Thanks very much for the links, will have a gander. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending