The Student Room Group

When Should I Take A Break?

I revise about 5-6 hours a day but last Saturday took a break playing tennis (someone advised me to take a break) and came back to revision on Sunday and saw an improvement whilst doing past papers.
So, how many days should I revise for before taking a break?
Science has repeatedly proven that revision is most effective when done in 12 - 18 hours stints in a room without the distraction of natural light.
When I was doing A Levels, I worked Mon-Fri and made sure the weekend was nice and relaxing. I also made sure that I'd revise for 50 minutes then have the final 10 mins of the hour as a break, plus 1hr for lunch at about 1pm. But my revision tended to span the whole day.. I guess I didn't mind not having a life for a couple of months :P
Well at the moment I'm revising for my AS Levels and I've made myself a time table where I do two hours of work, then a half an hour break. I then end up doing ten hours per day (two on each subject), always finishing by 9pm so I have one or two hours to watch telly or do some chilling. Might seem a lot, but I have the whole summer to relax and do what I want.
Reply 4
Original post by HistoryRepeating
Science has repeatedly proven that revision is most effective when done in 12 - 18 hours stints in a room without the distraction of natural light.

Took a while for me to get that
:tongue:

Original post by Gemma :)!
When I was doing A Levels, I worked Mon-Fri and made sure the weekend was nice and relaxing. I also made sure that I'd revise for 50 minutes then have the final 10 mins of the hour as a break, plus 1hr for lunch at about 1pm. But my revision tended to span the whole day.. I guess I didn't mind not having a life for a couple of months :P

I don't mind being isolated, but if the weekend was nice and relaxing, that's two whole days of no revision!
Keep in mind that I'm still learning things.
Like Business Studies for example, I find it hard to understand it in class, so learn out of a book.
Reply 5
I just revise until I find I'm losing concentration - sometimes thats after three hours, and sometimes half an hour. I've tried to just keep going, but it doesn't work because I end up spending three times as long on one question and none of the information really goes in. I go and do something else, and then come back to it when I feel ready.

If you feel like you do better if you go out and do something for one day, then go and do that and then come back. Personally, I work better if I try and do a few hours here and there, but doing some work every day. But everyone is different :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by twelve
But everyone is different :smile:

My bad, should have thought of that in the first place :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending