The Student Room Group

How do I stop wasting time

I sit at my desk with work in front of me, but I zone out at times. How do I stop this. And if I do study for like an hour, I tend to take breaks which end up being like 1.5-2 hours which is really bad. How do I stop this and stay focused?
Do you try and set goals to study for large periods at a time? Doing small chunks and taking frequent small breaks like 10/15mins, might be more helpful

Do you have a lot of distractions on your desk, such as your phone? Limiting them can help you stay focussed, for example you can put your phone in another room

When you sit down to do work, do you have any goals in mind for what you want to accomplish, or do you just sit down and expect to get a massive chunk of ambiguous work done? Writing down a couple goals that are achievable can help, especially as you’re more likely to get them done, and so this will motivate you to continue as you’re seeing progress
Original post by Anonymous
I sit at my desk with work in front of me, but I zone out at times. How do I stop this. And if I do study for like an hour, I tend to take breaks which end up being like 1.5-2 hours which is really bad. How do I stop this and stay focused?

Hey!

There's an app that I find really useful called Forest that really helps with this. You set a timer on the app and a tree will start to grow. If you go on your phone while the timer is going, the tree will die but if you manage to leave your phone alone then the tree will be added to your 'forest' where you can see all your trees. It's silly but it really helps me focus for a full hour without picking up my phone.

Also, I'd recommend getting up from your desk when you have a break. I tend to set a 10-minute timer, make a drink, snack etc and then be back at my desk once the 10 minutes is over. This just helps me separate break time and work time.

Hope that helps :smile:
Abbie
Original post by Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Sometimes studying can be difficult when procrastination settles in! Here are a few things I like to practice when I know I’m not as focused on my work as I should be:

1. Break Tasks into Smaller Steps: Divide your study material into smaller, manageable tasks. This makes the workload seem less daunting and helps you focus on completing one step at a time.

2. Set Specific Goals: Set clear, achievable goals for your study session. Having a specific target can motivate you to stay on track. I like to note mine down on a to-do list then tick each off that I’ve completed!

3. Eliminate Distractions: Put away your phone, close unrelated tabs on your computer, and create a clutter-free workspace to minimize distractions.

4. Find Your Most Productive Time: Identify when you're most alert and focused, and schedule your study sessions during those times.

5. Practice Self-Compassion and Rewarding: Don't be too hard on yourself. Acknowledge that everyone faces challenges in staying focused, and if you slip up, just refocus and continue. Even reward yourself after completing tasks. This can be a small treat, a short break, or something you enjoy doing.

6. Stay Accountable: Sometimes sharing your goals with a friend or family member, who can check in on your progress, will help you stay committed and motivated to your work.

7. Mindfulness Techniques: Practicing mindfulness and deep breathing exercises helps to reduce stress and increase your ability to focus. Sometimes I like to listen to podcasts or music to help me stay focused.

Remember, breaking the cycle of procrastination takes time and effort. Experiment with these strategies and find what works best for you.

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending