The Student Room Group

WTF is ASDAN / CoPE ???

Does anybody here actually do Certificate of Personal Effectivness (CoPE) by ASDAN???:confused:

Because I swear my school is the only to do it! it is so pointless!

There is levels 1, 2 and 3 I think...

2 = Grade B GCSE
3 = 70 UCAS points
(if you pass ofc, which you will because a toddler could do it)

But no universities have even bloody heard of it before!

Even if you are a pure A grade student, you still have to do it, ridiculous! :frown:

:cockup:

- Really worth a neg rep? lololololol
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

In our 6th-form, they do it for people who find GCSE's difficult.

If it's that easy, why are you moaning about it?
Reply 2
Because it takes up two hours of my time each week, which I could really put towards something much more productive.
Reply 3
Original post by liam1994
Does anybody here actually do Certificate of Personal Effectivness (CoPE) by ASDAN???:confused:

2 = Grade B GCSE
3 = 70 UCAS points

Even if you are a pure A grade student, you still have to do it, ridiculous! :frown:

The first 6th form I went to made most of us do it and it was the biggest waste of time ever. Its supposed to be easy but I actually was confused on some sections as to what we were supposed to put, especially as the teacher who organised it went over our folders and kept telling us we hadn't put in enough detail.
Reply 4
Yeah we had to do it in my school in year 10/11
It's not a complete waste of time, one of my friends only just got into uni thanks to the ucas points she got from doing it
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
The first 6th form I went to made most of us do it and it was the biggest waste of time ever. Its supposed to be easy but I actually was confused on some sections as to what we were supposed to put, especially as the teacher who organised it went over our folders and kept telling us we hadn't put in enough detail.

For Level 3, apparently my research questions wasn't complicated enough (after i'd done all the work:mad: ) so my teachewr changed the question... i re-did the work and she said that her OWN question was wrong! like seriously! :eek:
Reply 6
For Level 3, apparently my research questions wasn't complicated enough (after i'd done all the work:mad: ) so my teachewr changed the question... i re-did the work and she said that her OWN question was wrong! like seriously! :eek:

We weren't allowed to choose our own questions, we were given sheets with all the questions but our teacher didn't seem to know himself what we were supposed to put, other than whatever we put wasnt detailed enough. Thank god I left that school.
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
We weren't allowed to choose our own questions, we were given sheets with all the questions but our teacher didn't seem to know himself what we were supposed to put, other than whatever we put wasnt detailed enough. Thank god I left that school.

My teacher just said to me when I asked her "I really don't care at this last stage, if you get moderated we'll fix it then"... if we fail it, then we have to re-do it in the the upper sixth, but i will refuse.
What sort of things did you do for the global awereness project?
I did level 2 at GCSE. Means I have a 2nd B at GCSE to go with my english language!!
Reply 10
Having to do this in year 12 is just the biggest joke.
cope level 2 is the most soul-destroying pile of balls I have ever done in my life.
The college I went to was one of the pioneers of CoPE, which pissed us off no end because if we didn't do the work for one of our A levels, we were just left to fail. If we refused to do the work for CoPE we were faced with disciplinary action, there was no other way of enforcing it. One of my mates at the time went to the principal and refused point blank to do it - his work was then put in for moderation. Others were suspended for not doing it.

We only did it in the second year, the first stage being to research courses and universities, the second to do some other *******s and the third to create a presentation on how to revise - this was during the revision period for our A2s - so instead of actually revising we had to waste time doing a presentation.

The problem was that even though we passed it, it counted for nothing because at the time no university recognised it.
I have to do it :smile: well I did. I only found out today the moderator passed us all (by all I mean 86/260...)

Certificate of personal effectivenessnis the most pointless qualification. Not only has it wasted my time and effort while I could be worrying about real GCSEs, it has taken way the opportunity to do an RE GCSE, which Im not hugely passionate about, just it would mean another A* which would be helpful for medicine...

Anyway, I'm sure I can take my level 2 CoPE certificate yo Cambridge and tell them how amazing I am and why I should be picked over another candidate with more GCSEs.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Had to do it in my high school, waste of time.

They introduced it to my college for the year below (instead of doing...Key Skills IT? I think). Key Skills was a pile of rubbish as well though, but i'd rather deal with that than CoPE/ASDAN.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
The college I went to was one of the pioneers of CoPE, which pissed us off no end because if we didn't do the work for one of our A levels, we were just left to fail. If we refused to do the work for CoPE we were faced with disciplinary action, there was no other way of enforcing it. One of my mates at the time went to the principal and refused point blank to do it - his work was then put in for moderation. Others were suspended for not doing it.

We only did it in the second year, the first stage being to research courses and universities, the second to do some other *******s and the third to create a presentation on how to revise - this was during the revision period for our A2s - so instead of actually revising we had to waste time doing a presentation.

The problem was that even though we passed it, it counted for nothing because at the time no university recognised it.

What college do you go to, I plan to burn it to the ground :tongue:
Original post by AspiringGenius
What college do you go to, I plan to burn it to the ground :tongue:

So did we after about 2 weeks of doing it :tongue:

This was back in 2007/08, I didn't think CoPE would last until now :eek:
Original post by A Mysterious Lord

Very few look at it now- even the ex polys are increasingly asking for points to come from 3 A-Levels- Portsmouth did both times I applied, Westminster do for a lot of their courses, Trent would have counted it but when I applied (post A-Level) I had enough UCAS points from my A-Levels alone for it not to matter and that was with BCCc- I've since retaken.)

So its only really useful for those expecting CCC or less who want to go to London Met basically.

2 = Grade B GCSE
3 = 70 UCAS points

- Really worth a neg rep? lololololol

really??

wow, I thought my school was the only one to do it since practically noone else outside has heard of it
OP said everyone in has to do it in this year, and it was the same here at my school as well. I'm pretty sure this is for financial reasons, the school probably gets extra money for this, just like how they get x amount of money in funding for every A-level we do with them.

Quick Reply