The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
lol, nice one.
If you sound like you have prepared an answer to the question, they are less impressed. Particularly with the esoteric ones, and less so with the "Why did you pick" ones.

Basically you can't prepare, and youll be fine if you can think on your feet. Don't be afraid to pause before answering, and think.

They rarely ask about your PS unless something on it interests them too. More likely they will ask a tangential question. This is why I advise people against reading in greater depth than they are capable of understanding; they will trip up.

DO NOT QUOTE SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ OR HEARD. This is the most pretentious thing you can do, and reeks of rote-memorisation.
Reply 22
Rofl
It's like £500 for Interview Preparation, and you'll be extremely gutted if you didn't get a place.

did you actually sign up for that? me + my mate got stopped during the oxford interview too, had to fill out some sort of form...at the time i was all hyper and like "ooo, free pen" and so did the form filling for them...

only later to be bombarded with letters upon letters from them... my dad thought i had joint a cult... :rolleyes:
Reply 23
Traum
did you actually sign up for that? me + my mate got stopped during the oxford interview too, had to fill out some sort of form...at the time i was all hyper and like "ooo, free pen" and so did the form filling for them...

only later to be bombarded with letters upon letters from them... my dad thought i had joint a cult... :rolleyes:

Yep, walked around Oxford and bumped into an promoter. I still have that free 'blue' pen! :smile:
Reply 24
I read in a post a list of game theory type questions and now I can't find it - anyone know where it is??
sanka
I read in a post a list of game theory type questions and now I can't find it - anyone know where it is??

What's it worth to us in telling you? :p: :rolleyes: :wink:
Reply 26
I would offer you rep if I could give it but I can't.............how about the promise of rep!! :wink:
Reply 27
Traum

LMAO!
NeverMindThat
DO NOT QUOTE SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ OR HEARD. This is the most pretentious thing you can do, and reeks of rote-memorisation.
Is this absolutely a no-no? I know a quote of Tacitus' that sums up my opinion of Nero (I'm an ancient history student!), it's only one sentence - would you advise against mentioning it in the interview? I want them to know I can understand the more subtle side of the historian's intentions, yet it sounds a bit airy fairy to just say that and not back it up.
Reply 29
NeverMindThat

I think its O.K to qoute someone in your Personal statement if it sums up your feelings.
Reply 30
I got asked hardly anything on my PS, nothing on my submitted work at all. Couldnt prepare for what i got asked unless i read a lot lot more around my own interests. But thats the point, they dont want to ask you something you're familiar with.
Reply 31
I got asked hardly anything on my PS, nothing on my submitted work at all. Couldnt prepare for what i got asked unless i read a lot lot more around my own interests. But thats the point, they dont want to ask you something you're familiar with.
Reply 32
*getting more nervous!*
Reply 33
*getting more nervous!*
Reply 34
Once you're there you settle down quickly. Just meet lots of other people and you relax.
Reply 35
Once you're there you settle down quickly. Just meet lots of other people and you relax.
ReallyReal
I think its O.K to qoute someone in your Personal statement if it sums up your feelings.

Think that all you want. The tutors will find it irritating not impressive.
ReallyReal

Think that all you want. The tutors will find it irritating not impressive.
Reply 38
You never know. They could just not care that you're quoting and listen to what you're saying... All in all, I bet the best plan is to just be honest and talk about what you know. Can't go wrong with that mentality :smile:
Reply 39
You never know. They could just not care that you're quoting and listen to what you're saying... All in all, I bet the best plan is to just be honest and talk about what you know. Can't go wrong with that mentality :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending