The Student Room Group

Why do Americans believe that their soldiers 'Fight for their freedom'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
they say this because it is more attractive than saying 'our soldiers are fighting to take control of other nations' valuable resources'. Some presidents even refer to God in their speeches to make the people believe that they are doing God's work. How the Americans believe in this rhetoric is beyond me. Unless, of course they agree with their government. AMERICA = LAND OF LIES AND PROPAGANDA
Reply 21
Original post by Mänwe
last time i checked america wasn't at war with iran... maybe i should refresh the bbc website??

oh didn't see you referring to america as a secular country there; i get it, you're joking.

aww clearly you need a bit more education or i would give you the benefit of the doubt and say you just read the post wrong and decided to throw a hissy fit.

Ideological war you twit, Iran and other countries have vociferously called for the end of decadent western lifestyle

America is a secular country you ****, look up the definition.
Reply 22
Original post by itzme
they say this because it is more attractive than saying 'our soldiers are fighting to take control of other nations' valuable resources'. Some presidents even refer to God in their speeches to make the people believe that they are doing God's work. How the Americans believe in this rhetoric is beyond me. Unless, of course they agree with their government. AMERICA = LAND OF LIES AND PROPAGANDA

and the rest of the world is pure truth.

and when the nutjob Ayatollahs and presidents and leaders of other nations refer to God they are doing no wrong.

I would rather side with America than a place like North Korea/Burma, and i am not very pro American.
Reply 23
in oder to fight for freedom, you need to be lacking it in the first place. America can go to war at leisure, control the media, control financial resources.... yet it is fighting for freedom. It's laughable.
Reply 24
Original post by AwsomePossum
America does indeed fight for freedom and has done since it became a country and that is not something that anyone can deny because they saved our asses in two world wars, and we tag teamed iraq and "freed it" *ahem (ruined it slightly) but America is definatly helping the people of afghanistan because the taliban and their retarded logic is just that retarded :smile:

Only because Japan attacked them, so we should thank Japan! :cool:
They fight for their government’s self interested political and economic motives. However, they are force fed patriotism bordering on nationalism from an early age. They delude themselves into thinking that killing thousands of innocent civilians for oil is a worthwhile cause.

Sad.
Reply 26
Original post by Vozhak
and the rest of the world is pure truth.

and when the nutjob Ayatollahs and presidents and leaders of other nations refer to God they are doing no wrong.

I would rather side with America than a place like North Korea/Burma, and i am not very pro American.

i never said that, but the rest of the world does not act in a hypocritical way like America does. I would never side with America, I would never side with any great power: they're all a bunch of bullies who want to steal the rest of the world's resources. I am not comparing countries as I do not know enough about all countries, but let me tell yous omething: how do you know that North Korea and Burma are bad? You went there? You ever met someone from there? Your knowledge is all from the media which is controlled by the West. You only get one message: that of seeing particular countries are being the baddies. There is no alternative source of media becasue of the monopoly of this field by a few people. You know nothing except that which they want you to believe in. So stop talking like you North Korea and Burma inside out, NOT MANY really know anything at all.
Original post by Stratos
Only because Japan attacked them, so we should thank Japan! :cool:

well they had no Obligation to come into Europe when they did so i thank the white house of 1941
Reply 28
I'm always surprised by the amounts of civilians wearing flags on their houses.
Reply 29
Original post by itzme
i never said that, but the rest of the world does not act in a hypocritical way like America does. I would never side with America, I would never side with any great power: they're all a bunch of bullies who want to steal the rest of the world's resources. I am not comparing countries as I do not know enough about all countries, but let me tell yous omething: how do you know that North Korea and Burma are bad? You went there? You ever met someone from there? Your knowledge is all from the media which is controlled by the West. You only get one message: that of seeing particular countries are being the baddies. There is no alternative source of media becasue of the monopoly of this field by a few people. You know nothing except that which they want you to believe in. So stop talking like you North Korea and Burma inside out, NOT MANY really know anything at all.

hahaha YES, I am at UofT in Toronto, my friends are refuges who had to flee those places, one of my best friends father was killed in prison by the Junta for being pro democracy in Burma, wtf are you on about? There are N.Koreans in droves in Canada fleeing repression, have you ever met an American of UK refugee?

how do i know they are bad? the people of N.Korea are starving and take any and all opportunity to leave. there are little or no human rights, there are political prisoners and repression.

Listen you clearly are just chanting rhetoric about resources, answer me this; If a big nation wanted resources say America wanted Oil from Venezuela who do you think could stop them if they decided to invade? If they were greedy for resources as you say they would just invade and be bullies and take it.

You clearly are very young or very stupid so i would say think before you repeat slogans, go travel to those places and take some development studies/economics/international relations courses and see how the world is run.
Reply 30
Original post by Vozhak
hahaha YES, I am at UofT in Toronto, my friends are refuges who had to flee those places, one of my best friends father was killed in prison by the Junta for being pro democracy in Burma, wtf are you on about? There are N.Koreans in droves in Canada fleeing repression, have you ever met an American of UK refugee?

how do i know they are bad? the people of N.Korea are starving and take any and all opportunity to leave. there are little or no human rights, there are political prisoners and repression.

Listen you clearly are just chanting rhetoric about resources, answer me this; If a big nation wanted resources say America wanted Oil from Venezuela who do you think could stop them if they decided to invade? If they were greedy for resources as you say they would just invade and be bullies and take it.

You clearly are very young or very stupid so i would say think before you repeat slogans, go travel to those places and take some development studies/economics/international relations courses and see how the world is run.

why are you using swear words? I am not merely repeating rhetoric about resources, but this is what politics is about. It is about power and security and acquiring resources and having hegemony over these as well as in the financial world help to get that. I am studying I.R. by the way and I am also doing some journalism, so I know what I am talking about. I thought I was right about Ahmadinejad until one Iranian guy proved me wrong. He made me question my viewpoint and basically, made me reconsider my faith in the media. So all I said was due to my experience. I was naive before and believed western governments, but I no longer do .

I am not as stupid as you are for thinking that the US is better than other states. It is a criminal state like most of them, yet gets away with it because of all the propaganda. I am glad I do not buy into it like you do.

West does not equal better. It deceives, cheats, lies, bullies. Others may do this, but they are less successful at it.
Reply 31
Original post by Vozhak
aww clearly you need a bit more education or i would give you the benefit of the doubt and say you just read the post wrong and decided to throw a hissy fit.

Ideological war you twit, Iran and other countries have vociferously called for the end of decadent western lifestyle

America is a secular country you ****, look up the definition.

oook here we go again.

one person trying to defend the dogmas shoved into his/her head since birth against the rest of the world...
believe me, you're opinion is not so hard to grasp that i wouldn't be able to comprehend it without you pointlessly trying to offend me.

as for your ideological war "argument" if we can call it that, i believe the thread reads "(...)american soldiers 'Fight for freedom'": soldiers, not propagandists.

i'm sorry, but you will not be able to convince me that a nation where no person can get elected without being christian and repeating "god bless america" a million times during campaigning is a secular country... "in god we trust" come on, don't kid ourselves
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Define "freedom".
Reply 33
Original post by Mänwe
oook here we go again.

one person trying to defend the dogmas shoved into his/her head since birth against the rest of the world...
believe me, you're opinion is not so hard to grasp that i wouldn't be able to comprehend it without you pointlessly trying to offend me.

as for your ideological war "argument" if we can call it that, i believe the thread reads "(...)american soldiers 'Fight for freedom'": soldiers, not propagandists.

i'm sorry, but you will not be able to convince me that a nation where no person can get elected without being christian and repeating "god bless america" a million times during campaigning is a secular country... "in god we trust" come on, don't kid ourselves

if you think all American elected positions need to be god loving, and even love America i have one name for you Russ Feingold.

The guy was a powerful senator and was able to buck his own party and the public for his belief in freedom, either way this conversation is over,

go live in Iran or North Korea or Burma for a year, you will come back and kiss the ground in the west, a pity there are so many armchair critics, that i can assure you.
Reply 34
If the soldiers weren't there fighting the Taliban they would be able to carry out their terrorist activities unhindered meaning far more terrorist attacks and therefore more civilian casualties.
Original post by itzme

No, not really.

It is fairly easy to get information if you want to. It is called the Internet and there is huge amounts of information on North Korea and Burma. There are witness testimonies of escapees and etc if you bother to look.

The concept that there is a "no alternative media" is just as dumb as the American catchphrase that "they are fighting for our freedom".
Perpetuates the "one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter" statement.

Taking civilian death tolls alone the Afghanistan campaign has amounted to nothing less than state terrorism.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by DorianGrayism
No, not really.

It is fairly easy to get information if you want to. It is called the Internet and there is huge amounts of information on North Korea and Burma. There are witness testimonies of escapees and etc if you bother to look.

The concept that there is a "no alternative media" is just as dumb as the American catchphrase that "they are fighting for our freedom".

no, people don't go on these websites. They are led t obelieve that the BBC and other biased sites and channels are better. If you type north Korea or Burma, you get the following websites: cia, bbc, the guardian right at the top of the list. They're all western. People don't usually go to the very last pages to find info (they're not relevant anyways) and they usually stop at the first 2 pages.
Original post by itzme
no, people don't go on these websites. They are led t obelieve that the BBC and other biased sites and channels are better. If you type north Korea or Burma, you get the following websites: cia, bbc, the guardian right at the top of the list. They're all western. People don't usually go to the very last pages to find info (they're not relevant anyways) and they usually stop at the first 2 pages.

That just means people are stupid or lazy or both. I am not sure why you are blaming the media for that.

There are plenty of documents. Straight from the UN. Straight from academic studies regarding North Korea and Burma if people want to look at them.

Anyway, I don't know why you are bringing up those two examples. Those are possibly one of the few examples where there is widespread agreement with regards to the Human Right violations that have been committed on both the Left and the Right.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by DorianGrayism
That just means people are stupid or lazy or both. I am not sure why you are blaming the media for that.

There is plenty of documents. Straight from the UN. Straight from academic studies regarding North Korea and Burma if people want to look at them.

Anyway, I don't know why you are bringing up those two examples. Those are possibly one of the few examples where there is widespread agreement with regards to the Human Right violations that have been committed on both the Left and the Right.

i was given these two examples. I just meant that there is this belief that only a few sites are the places to visit to seek reliable information. That was my point really. There is this myth in the media.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending