The Student Room Group

TSR LOST society!

Scroll to see replies

Lost isn't on tonight :puppyeyes:

Theres Something about Mary is on instead, I bought that on DVD the other day too :argh:
SuperDaz
Lost isn't on tonight :puppyeyes:

Theres Something about Mary is on instead, I bought that on DVD the other day too :argh:

I know :frown: what will I do with my Sunday night?!

I love your avatar btw :biggrin:
minionlindz
I know :frown: what will I do with my Sunday night?!

I love your avatar btw :biggrin:

I guess I'll be watching Desperate Housewives on E4 :ninja: Its nothing compared to Lost though, I don't even like it really :redface:

Thanks! Monsters Inc does rock :biggrin:
I must have died or something for a few weekz?!... Has the Writers Strike affected this as well?

So glad i don't have Sky :biggrin:

Roll on next episode.. :smile:
Reply 2164
the__billy
The time difference between the isalnd and the real world isnt that big, its only cumulated to about 2 days (i think) but Desmond wasn't travelling in time and he was'nt going back in time (in his thoughts) his 1996 self was going forward in time and this is why he forgot who Syaid was.

I think thats right anyway.

Two days from the point that Sayid and Desmond left the island. We don't know how long they've really been gone.
12 hours on the island = 20mins [ish] in 'real life time'.

Something like that was mentioned, anyway.

That means that it's 1.5 days to the hour!! Making it 36 days to one real time day.

So if the islanders had been on the island a year, that is actually only ROUGHLY 12 real time days. Which is insanity!! :eek:
Reply 2166
I thought it was the other way round... that time passes slower on the island compared to the rest of the world, as that's the only way they could explain Walt being older - that since he's been off the island it's been a year or so there, while only a month or two have passed on the island.
Yeah, it's slower on island. Remember Jack and that think Sayid and Desmond have been gone for a day they haven't, it's shorter.
How long did it take for them to throw that thing from the boat? Or was it the helicopter? Because it was sposed to take like a few seconds, but I cant remember how long it actually took? Whatever it is that must be the time difference.
xx
That's the way around I described it, though??

You all said "uhhh BUT..." and then agreed with me unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick?? :confused:
wiggles
I thought it was the other way round... that time passes slower on the island compared to the rest of the world, as that's the only way they could explain Walt being older - that since he's been off the island it's been a year or so there, while only a month or two have passed on the island.

Haven't you just contradicted yourself? :confused:

Either way, I don't know which way round it is with the time anyway :p:
Reply 2171
SilverWings
That's the way around I described it, though??

You all said "uhhh BUT..." and then agreed with me unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick?? :confused:

OK, I guess it's hard to explain the time thing, lol. Basically, what you said is you think aaaaages passes on the island, for only a few seconds passing in real time, right? Which would imply that when they get off the island the Losties would be like "whoah, that was a long three months!" and everyone else would be saying "...you were only gone a few days/weeks".
Whereas I was saying aaaaaaages passes in real time, where only a few seconds passes on the island. Which is basically the way the show works as well, we've spent 4 years watching it, whereas only a few months has passed on the island. I think it's the same as that in the show itself. As obviously over the 4 years the actor that plays Walt has aged, so they can say in the two seasons since he left the show/island, that's why he's aged. Argh, it's hard to articulate, lol. Anyway, this would also explain why Kate can tell the world Aaron's her baby. Because to the rest of the world, they've been gone ages, time enough for Kate to get pregnant and give birth all on the island. Whereas obviously from the perspective of the Losties, it hasn't been anywhere near that long.
pinksparkles2
How long did it take for them to throw that thing from the boat? Or was it the helicopter? Because it was sposed to take like a few seconds, but I cant remember how long it actually took? Whatever it is that must be the time difference.
xx

Do you mean the payload that was fired to Faraday from the boat and took like 6 hours to arrive? (even though it should have got there in about ten minutes)
jonnyofengland
Do you mean the payload that was fired to Faraday from the boat and took like 6 hours to arrive? (even though it should have got there in about ten minutes)

Yeah that! So when six hours passes in real life, its like 10mins on the island.. so one of you clever mathmatitions could work out how long has passed after a day of real life?! :smile: :wink:
xx
pinksparkles2
Yeah that! So when six hours passes in real life, its like 10mins on the island.. so one of you clever mathmatitions could work out how long has passed after a day of real life?! :smile: :wink:
xx

Disclaimer: I was only estimating those times, it was a Sunday night several weeks ago so you can't expect me to remember all the figures perfectly lol :wink:
Reply 2175
This is what is on the lostpedia website regarding the Payloads for anyone who is interested:-

The experiment

Communicating via satellite phones, Regina, a woman speaking with an Australian or New Zealand accent, indicated she was deploying the "payload". After about eight seconds Regina began counting down distances, starting at 40 kilometers and announcing how far the rocket was from Dan's location, which she had pinpointed after Dan constructed a tripod mounted contraption, presumably some kind of satellite locator. Whenever the rocket was 5 kilometers nearer to the island, which was about every two seconds, Regina told Dan over the phone. When she reached zero nothing seemed to happen. Some time later the rocket landed next to the helicopter, jamming itself in the earth at a forty five degree angle. ("The Economist")

After unearthing the payload Dan hurriedly unscrewed the nosecone of what he told Jack was a rocket, revealing a small rectangular digital clock. When we see the display it reads "03:16:23". Worried, Dan eyes his wristwatch, concerned by what he sees, rushes to his antenna-like contraption and retrieves a second clock, reading "02:45:03". Mumbling "31 minutes" and "this is not good" the scene switches to the sudden return of Juliet, with Desmond, who she was instructed to get, by her side. ("The Economist")

Ambiguities

There is a great deal of uncertainty about the velocity of the rocket as it traveled to the Island. Calculations lead to velocities that would seem infeasible given the rocket's construction.

The position of the freighter relative to the Island when the rocket was launched is unknown. The most that can be assumed is that the freighter was between 40 kilometers and 150 kilometers (80 nautical miles). The lower bound is from the countdown to theoretical impact on the Island. The upper bound is from Naomi's report of the position of the freighter when she arrived on the Island.

At the upper bound of distance, Intuition tells us that in the eight seconds between Regina launching the rocket and her breaking the silence and counting down from 40 kilometers away from the island, the rocket traveled 110 kilometers. This means the rocket was going 13.75 kilometers per second, or 49,500 kilometers per hour. The fastest missile ever is said to be the Russian made Topol SS 27, which goes less than 18,000 kilometers per hour.

Looking at the problem a different way, Regina reports the rocket had advanced five kilometers closer to the island every two seconds. In order to travel that distance in such a short period of time the rocket would have to moving at a speed of 9,000 kilometers per hour, or about 5,500 miles per hour.
Anyone know when Lost will be back on Sky?
Reply 2177
PinkStar08
Anyone know when Lost will be back on Sky?

Something like the 27-28th April
jonnyofengland
Disclaimer: I was only estimating those times, it was a Sunday night several weeks ago so you can't expect me to remember all the figures perfectly lol :wink:

Yeah I know :p:
I dont think anyone does.. but those times seemed about right!
xx

Quick Reply

Latest