The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
arranque
lol, i wasnt just going to enter into a debate having read absolutely nothing on the subject and then make up totally bizarre statistics from a spanish newspaper that i read in barcelona. I cannot post the source in this case, for obvious reasons. And if the vetting process is so rigorous, then why are local/national newspapers frequently filled with tales of abuse or negligence taking place within households that have adopted children, referring to those who have 'slipped through the net' of an admittedly zealous, bureaucratic social services system?

Like which stories? An example, please, from a reliable source... your argument is fundamentally lacking in any evidence of any kind.
Reply 881
arranque
lol, i wasnt just going to enter into a debate having read absolutely nothing on the subject and then make up totally bizarre statistics from a spanish newspaper that i read in barcelona. I cannot post the source in this case, for obvious reasons. And if the vetting process is so rigorous, then why are local/national newspapers frequently filled with tales of abuse or negligence taking place within households that have adopted children, referring to those who have 'slipped through the net' of an admittedly zealous, bureaucratic social services system?

well you'll forgive us for doubting the valiity of what you say if you are totally unable to back up anything you say...

and i dunno if you've noticed, but the papers tend not to report on all the succesful adoptions... yes, there might be fairly common reports, but due to the media's need to report bad, more profitable news, these uncommon cases cannot dominate the adoption system...
Reply 882
surely from general reaading you MUST have picked up things that back up what i am saying.
Reply 883
Mr_Homosexual
well you'll forgive us for doubting the valiity of what you say if you are totally unable to back up anything you say...

and i dunno if you've noticed, but the papers tend not to report on all the succesful adoptions... yes, there might be fairly common reports, but due to the media's need to report bad, more profitable news, these uncommon cases cannot dominate the adoption system...

if you want to read about 'successful' things that have been brought about through skilful government initiatives, then i suggest you try mr blair's cheerleading propaganda rags, the sun or the mirror.
Reply 884
arranque
oh you anal bastards, surely from general reaading you MUST have picked up things that back up what i am saying, even if you did not stop to think 'ooh, i know, ill just keep this article for future use in arguments about gay rights across internet forums.'

It would really make this a whole lot easier if you would just give us one tiny little example. Your reluctance to do so suggests that you have something to hide.
You also have failed to reply to my last post, #886... after we spent all that time thrashing out Mill's theory of liberalism I'd've thought you would want to finish your point off. No? Maybe because it wasn't rational? Go on, prove me wrong.
Reply 885
skevvybritt
It would really make this a whole lot easier if you would just give us one tiny little example. Your reluctance to do so suggests that you have something to hide.
You also have failed to reply to my last post, #886... after we spent all that time thrashing out Mill's theory of liberalism I'd've thought you would want to finish your point off. No? Maybe because it wasn't rational? Go on, prove me wrong.

right, i will actually find the damn thing, im pretty sure i saved one article from a website in order to use it for my spanish oral exam about modern society etc. I am confident that once i produce it, you will dismiss its validity regardless. By the way, are you homosexual yourself or is this just a topic about which you feel passionately?
Reply 886
arranque
I am confident that once i produce it, you will dismiss its validity regardless.

glad to know you know us well enough to assume such a thing...
Reply 887
arranque
right, i will actually find the damn thing, im pretty sure i saved one article from a website in order to use it for my spanish oral exam about modern society etc. I am confident that once i produce it, you will dismiss its validity regardless. By the way, are you homosexual yourself or is this just a topic about which you feel passionately?

Bisexual. But I think I'd be arguing about it regardless of my sexuality. I'm a firm believer in human rights, and I believe not allowing gay people to adopt contravenes them.
And the post? #886? I'll be very interested to read your reply when I come online tomorrow.
Til then,
skevvybritt x
Reply 888
corey
Well stopping ginger children being born is not something that can easily be stopped. Yes, I know we probably could but that opens up a whole range of other arguments that have to be weight up and therefore I don't consider it an analagous situation.

Your argument implies you accept that a problem would exist with children who were adopted by gay parents - so why won't you accept that we ban gay adoption?

because kids will be kids... they will always find something to tease other children about: there is never the need for a reason... do you seriously think that gay adoption is going to hugely increase playground bullying? or more precisely; that playground bullying will be reduced if we stop gay adoption now? kids will always find something to tease other kids about... quite probably, nothing will ever stop it short of making everyone identical clones....
I think banning gay adoption would close off a route that could lead to more children in good, loving homes. Believe it or not (and you might want to sit down for this) finding members of the same sex attractive doesnt make someone a bad person. Any relationship faces problems, obstacles and pitfalls and just because those experienced by gay couples may be slightly different from a hetrosexual couples shouldn't mean they are any less viable to adopt. A large percentage of the problems probably wouldn't even exist if it wasnt for prejudiced, intolerant people who scream that homosexuality isnt normal and make it difficult for two people who love each other to be together in society. Assuming they underwent the same rigorous adoption process as hetrosexual couples and were found to meet the criteria etc that suggests they would provide a loving home I dont see why they shouldn't adopt.

If more people began to accept homosexuality it wouldn't be seen as abnormal and in time kids would begin to accept it and be less likely to make fun and judge it as weird. If you hide behind the existence of prejudice as a reason not to allow things to happen then there will never be any change and people will just remain prejudiced.

Homosexuality has, as far as I can see, no detrimental affect on society other than that brought about by people who make it an issue because they "disapprove".
Therefore I would argue that gay adoption would face the same sort of level of problems as hetrosexual adoption - bar the impact of those with intolerance who could potentially have a damaging affect. In this respect surely it wouldn't be the fact that it is a couple who are gay that are adopting that is the problem, but the attitudes of some prejudiced people?
toluseunfawole
While I was raised in a startight home, I had my chance at Lesbianism in secondary school and I still chose to remain straight. some of my friends chose to become lesbians. So you see I had a chance to choose to be a lesby but I made a choice, we discussed it at some poins and each party agreed that it was a choice that had to be made at one point or the other in your life just like wanting to change your sex

Given that you supposedly reside in Nigeria, don't they have problems with homosexuality anyway? If so I can't see this choice being a true choice as it lacks total freedom.
NDGAARONDI
Given that you supposedly reside in Nigeria, don't they have problems with homosexuality anyway? If so I can't see this choice being a true choice as it lacks total freedom.

YOu know one of the wonders of Nigeria? :smile:
Its the fact that you have more freedom than most countries in just about everything (POLITICS EXCLUDED) especially if you are not staying in the northern region where religious chaos reigns supreme.

in other parts of the contry, you are free to be anything as long as its within the confines of the law.

If you are referring to the Church protesting against gay, then you might as well say same to all and sundry since every country has its own sect which proposes for abolishion of gay communities
Sophistress
The term "gay" can also include lesbian couples.

Besides which, many children are raised in single parent families.

Ok well then for a lesbian couple the same can be said - that perhaps it would be better for the child to have a father figure. The children of single parents often can see both parents and therefore can acknowledge two parents of different sex as role-models, they just live permanently with one. Also, just because many children are raised in single parent families, this doesn't discredit my point - for the ones that only really know one parent, it might be better for them, too, to have a mother/father figure (whichever one they don't live with). Also, there is a choice for adopted children - they can go into families with a "straight" couple or gay couple. However, many children of single parent families do not have this choice, so i don't think the single parent argument really comes into this thread at all, seeing as circumstances are completely different.
missbrilliant
Ok well then for a lesbian couple the same can be said - that perhaps it would be better for the child to have a father figure. The children of single parents often can see both parents and therefore can acknowledge two parents of different sex as role-models, they just live permanently with one. Also, just because many children are raised in single parent families, this doesn't discredit my point - for the ones that only really know one parent, it might be better for them, too, to have a mother/father figure (whichever one they don't live with).

Many children have contact with only one parent [usually the mother]. Shall we remove the child from this obviously unhealthy set-up, or shall we realise that we don't live in utopia?

Also, there is a choice for adopted children - they can go into families with a "straight" couple or gay couple. However, many children of single parent families do not have this choice, so i don't think the single parent argument really comes into this thread at all, seeing as circumstances are completely different.

Perhaps it's just late, but I read through this five times and I still can't understand what you're trying to say.
:eek: Been raised by a single parent is not exactly a thing of pride to the single mother or father as it often means they had to have a heartbreak to reach that point (it was not planned and they were hardly ever prepared for the phase) so stop comparing as i really do not think single parents would appreciate been compared in the same light with gay parents :tsr:
Reply 895
toluseunfawole
:eek: Been raised by a single parent is not exactly a thing of pride to the single mother or father as it often means they had to have a heartbreak to reach that point (it was not planned and they were hardly ever prepared for the phase)

Not necessairly, I think that would be very offensive to a LOT of single parents and their children, just because it was hard to get somewhere, doesn't mean it's not a thing to be proud of i.e. what if a mother struggled for years to leave her violent husband, and finally did, I think that's something to be hugely proud of. I also think that any parent who successfully manages to keep together a family with the pressures of modern society should be extremely proud.

toluseunfawole
so stop comparing as i really do not think single parents would appreciate been compared in the same light with gay parents :tsr:

Maybe true of SOME people, but dont transfer your own horrid little prejudices onto swathes of people without actually knowing anything about their opinions in the first place :rolleyes:
toluseunfawole
YOu know one of the wonders of Nigeria? :smile:
Its the fact that you have more freedom than most countries in just about everything (POLITICS EXCLUDED) especially if you are not staying in the northern region where religious chaos reigns supreme.

Everything is political. :wink:
Sophistress
Many children have contact with only one parent [usually the mother]. Shall we remove the child from this obviously unhealthy set-up, or shall we realise that we don't live in utopia?

Perhaps it's just late, but I read through this five times and I still can't understand what you're trying to say.

I never said it was unhealthy, I said surely it would be "healthiER" to have two parents, and it MIGHT be better. Surely leaves space for the answer no, might does not = "obviously", and healthier was actually in inverted commas so i think you're twisting my words just a bit with 'obviously unhealthy'.

Just because we don't live in a Utopia doesn't mean we can't try our best so even IF it was thought that this was "obviously unhealthy" then yes we "shall remove the child". As the case stands, this might be the greater of two evils as the child would be separated from its parent, and this leads to another argument altogether. Again, this thread isn't even about single-parent families so why you have flagged it up again is beyond me...

I will explain the point you didn't understand again, hopefully more clearly. For children who are eligible for adoption, there are both gay and straight families out there who potentially could adopt them. Therefore, there is a choice for them. They can EITHER go home with a gay couple OR with a straight couple. However, children of single-parent families do not have an EITHER/OR choice -they are born and stay with, in their case, one parent. And so their situations are completely different to those eligible for adoption.
I think it's disgusting even to THINK about gay people adopting children. is it fair on the kid? Come on, kids are MEANT to have a mother and a father. If not, how do they learn stuff from them? I mean, emotionally, that's the way its supposed to be. I mean, just think about it - you can't MAKE a baby without a woman and a man, so why should it be sensible to bring them up with two men - or two women. it's silly, it's perverted, and it's sick.
And dont start up about single parents - sometimes it's inevitable, but its not advisable, and once again I state the fact that a man and a woman together create the most stable environment for a kid, and if a man and a woman would THINK about how they are emotionally damaging the CHILD before divorcing, etc., maybe there wouldn't be so many hasty divorces.

[QUOTE/] I don't know I don't study psychology, but I think it's a fair assumption that if we're going to allow single parents to raise children with no contact with the other parent, then we assume that it's not entirely inconceivable that a gay couple could make suitable parents.
Reply 899
lesser weevil
I think it's disgusting even to THINK about gay people adopting children. is it fair on the kid? Come on, kids are MEANT to have a mother and a father. If not, how do they learn stuff from them? I mean, emotionally, that's the way its supposed to be. I mean, just think about it - you can't MAKE a baby without a woman and a man, so why should it be sensible to bring them up with two men - or two women. it's silly, it's perverted, and it's sick.
And dont start up about single parents - sometimes it's inevitable, but its not advisable, and once again I state the fact that a man and a woman together create the most stable environment for a kid, and if a man and a woman would THINK about how they are emotionally damaging the CHILD before divorcing, etc., maybe there wouldn't be so many hasty divorces.

Whoa there, try and get rid of the red mist for a moment and see the reality of things. You can't possibly believe that in a situation of adoption it's a choice between a straight couple and a gay couple can you? It's a choice between a foster home and a gay couple... so your argument fails to apply.

Why wouldn't it be fair on the kid? What might it do to them, in your opinion?

Also... this is nothing to do with divorce, please try to stick to the subject :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending