The Student Room Group

Came for a Masters, Leaving with a Postgrad Dip

Hi Everyone.

Well. It seems that I wont be allowed to do my dissertation this summer thus sending me home to the states with a postgrad dip. I dont know how I feel. I dont know if it is because it hasn't hit me yet or because in some ways, I just felt like no matter how much effort I put, every time I got back an essay my mark was lower than last semester. What does it mean to have a postgrad dip? I am thinking maybe I should have applied for that instead. What does this mean for my future should I want to try to get a masters again. Do I have a chance at all? I tried looking for advise on the web but everything is pretty scattered and I've come here before and gotten some good help. Anything you may have to say would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by ViewlessWings
What does it mean to have a postgrad dip? I am thinking maybe I should have applied for that instead.

It's less than a full masters degree, obviously, but to look at it more positively, it's a level 3 qualification to show for the work you did, so it's not as though you're going away with nothing. And I don't think your degree certificate will mention the fact that you weren't registered for a PgDip to begin with, so that probably won't make any difference.
What does this mean for my future should I want to try to get a masters again. Do I have a chance at all? I tried looking for advise on the web but everything is pretty scattered and I've come here before and gotten some good help. Anything you may have to say would be greatly appreciated.

Well, if you're willing to invest the time and money to do another masters course (maybe with a slightly different focus), I don't really see why this would necessarily hamper you, unless you tried again for the same course at the same department. What you should do, though, would be to try and find the causes why you did so badly on your essays and try to fix the problem before you attempt another masters degree. After all, the last thing you'll want is a repeat of this scenario.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending