The Student Room Group

Only completed half access course, now im stuck...

ive got a degree already, but its an arts degree. i want to go into science but not sure i will get into a masters programme.

i started an access course for science last year. My plan was to do a second undergrad part time, or having more science background to get into a masters. I do have some related work experiences too.

In January 2023 I became unwell and I had to leave the access course. Then i received a certificate with my completed modules on it.

The college is saying I have to start the access course again. I am not in a place when i can return yet - in fact, i have an extra health problem to deal with.
However, I asked to come back in January to complete the remainder of the access course, and they said that's not possible.

So now im unsure what to do, maybe i should teach myself some a-levels, give up on the idea entirely, apply to post-grad anyway, or contact some unis for advice..

What are your guys thoughts? thank you so much
Original post by plushiemagic
ive got a degree already, but its an arts degree. i want to go into science but not sure i will get into a masters programme.

i started an access course for science last year. My plan was to do a second undergrad part time, or having more science background to get into a masters. I do have some related work experiences too.

In January 2023 I became unwell and I had to leave the access course. Then i received a certificate with my completed modules on it.

The college is saying I have to start the access course again. I am not in a place when i can return yet - in fact, i have an extra health problem to deal with.
However, I asked to come back in January to complete the remainder of the access course, and they said that's not possible.

So now im unsure what to do, maybe i should teach myself some a-levels, give up on the idea entirely, apply to post-grad anyway, or contact some unis for advice..

What are your guys thoughts? thank you so much

Hey @sophinar 👋

As a mature student it is worth emailing the admissions departments of a few universities to ask them about entry requirements. It all depends on what type of science degree you want to pursue. You may have enough ucas credits from your previous qualifications, but you might not if they are looking for an A Level in biology or equivalent.

A BSc with an integrated foundation year may be an option open to you. Some people choose to do the foundation year instead of an access course to get back into education and it's a good option to prepare you for a degree. Especially if it's a subject you haven't studied in a while.

We do offer foundation year degrees at Essex through Essex Pathways, check out some info here:
https://www.essex.ac.uk/departments/essex-pathways

Or email our admissions team for help with entry requirements: [email protected]
For postgrad Masters enquiries, it's [email protected] or [email protected]

Best wishes,
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending